- +

Author Topic: Greetings from capnted  (Read 2524 times)

Offline capnted

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • BigShotComics
Greetings from capnted
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:45:58 PM »
Hi, I joined up i'm guessing a couple weeks ago. I can't remember because I've been to busy not sleeping for days and reading hundreds upon hundreds of great Golden Age comics. Now I'm completely addicted and even stumbled upon a humble stash of goopy romance comics, which i will scan and share shortly.

Thank you for having me, I enjoy scanning and packaging old pd materials, hope to contribute to the preservation of these great comics!
 :D

Digital Comic Museum

Greetings from capnted
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:45:58 PM »

Offline kusunoki

• The Yellow Peril
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Greetings from capnted
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:27:54 AM »
Welcome aboard, Captain. Love the avatar.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:10:10 AM »
Don't be so quick to dismiss the Romance books.  They may not be readable, at least by me, but some of them have some of the best art of the golden age.  Matt Baker and Frank Frazetta, just to name two, did some of their finest work on romance titles.

In any case, welcome!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 10:52:04 AM »
Welcome Cap!
Nice avatar for sure.
Yep, Eric is correct, some of those 'girl' book had fantastic artwork at times!

Please be sure to check the date published in the inside front cover or bottom of the first page.
Nothing beyond Dec 1959 for DCM.  GAC isn't as picky as us on Charlton books.

Good luck!
-Yoc

Offline capnted

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • BigShotComics
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
Don't be so quick to dismiss the Romance books.  They may not be readable..

Not dismissing them, i actually enjoy reading them, as i enjoy reading all GA comics. A couple things I have started noticing regarding 'romance' books is that
either that are really goopy or daydreamy 'irrealistic,'  kind of like an Elvis movie or they are actually really good and and highlight neurotic love and marriage obsession...which shows that things concerning how people think and act concerning the subject hasn't changed at all. Very interesting. Definitely a sense of humor here as times have changed, but important and interesting artifacts. I am a fan!

Yep, Eric is correct, some of those 'girl' book had fantastic artwork at times!

Please be sure to check the date published in the inside front cover or bottom of the first page.
Nothing beyond Dec 1959 for DCM.  GAC isn't as picky as us on Charlton books.

Yes, fan of a lot of the art here. Interesting to because I have yet to see any 'bondage' art  ^-^ in the romance books that commonly occurs in just about every other comic (Sort of joking here...but I think I even noticed some bondage art in Peter Wheat!). I'm still waiting...  ^-^

Offline capnted

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • BigShotComics
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:59:42 AM »
Oh and I forgot to mention, Yep I'm aware of the 1959 cutoff.. The issues i have are '59 and earlier. I should have about 7-8 more coming, see if I can post another today

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 12:08:18 PM »
Sounds great Cap.  St.John romance books were some of the best sometimes featuring fantastic Matt Baker covers and stories.  Nobody could draw a better woman that Baker IMO.  And their stories were often better than most as well.

Looking forward to you future scans,
-Yoc