developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Artists in Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshal #21 (Charlton)  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Artists in Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshal #21 (Charlton)
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »
Many thanks to OtherEric for uploading this. Fascinating on several fronts.

Severin, of course, was doing art for the Atlas Wyatt Earp and I wonder whether his stories here were somehow unused inventory left over from Atlas. (And exactly how did Charlton acquire the rights to the Wyatt Earp title from Atlas?) But perhaps he just took Charlton scripts and drew them as he had the Atlas Earp.

I didn't spy any Maneely art in this issue (at least none that I could identify), though some of the stories struck me as rough pencils by Severin or Romita perhaps inked by Pete Morisi. But perhaps that is the Maneely art (as GCD suggests). If so, maybe it was someone else inking, as there was none of the usual Maneely sculpting linework that I tend to think of as chipping, as in a sculptor chipping away on a block of marble.

As for the stories signed by RAM, would that be Rocco Mastroserio, I guess. (At least GCD sez so.) And some of those were pretty decent art, too. All in all, a nifty scan.

Digital Comic Museum

Artists in Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshal #21 (Charlton)
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Artists in Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshal #21 (Charlton)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:38:34 PM »
Jim already covered this in the other thread, but Wyatt Earp was a real person and therefore was in the public domain.  Wyatt Earp was actually one of the "sweet sixteen" titles that survived the Atlas implosion.  At least three artists worked on both the Atlas and Chartlon versions; in addition to Severin and Maneely in the issue I posted Williamson had stories in both.  (I would LOVE to see Charlton's issue 20, which supposedly has four Williamson stories.)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 05:30:25 PM »
Oh wow, I sure hope somebody scans that #20 someday as well Eric!

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:17:08 PM »
Jim already covered this in the other thread, but Wyatt Earp was a real person and therefore was in the public domain.  Wyatt Earp was actually one of the "sweet sixteen" titles that survived the Atlas implosion.  At least three artists worked on both the Atlas and Chartlon versions; in addition to Severin and Maneely in the issue I posted Williamson had stories in both.  (I would LOVE to see Charlton's issue 20, which supposedly has four Williamson stories.)

Wyatt Earp #20  1958 (Charlton):

Smoky Showdown 8 pgs.
A Gun in Hand 5 pgs.
Born for Trouble 5 pgs.
Red Justice 7 pgs.

(all with Angelo Torres/Al Willamson art)

Info courtesy of JVJ's list of Al Williamson's work in "The Art of Al Williamson" by James Van Hise.

Geo
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:02:47 AM by Geo »
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline BobS

• Banned
  • DCM Member
  • public enemy #1
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
How do you guys think Torres' art compares to Williamson's?
Torres seems to me to have been better with faces and less sketchy than Wmson's art was occasionally.
Bob
Public Enemy #1