- +

Author Topic: Favorite Comic Related Blogs  (Read 12771 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Favorite Comic Related Blogs
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
Found another one!   ;D
Here's a pretty fun webcomic (focused mostly on current comics so some wont be able to follow along all the time but it's still worth a look) called ComicCritics.com.
http://comiccritics.com/

HTMLComics is the subject of a recent post there that caught my attention enough to read all the past posts.
Here's a direct link for that update -
http://comiccritics.com/2010/05/13/a-pirates-life-for-me/

Enjoy,
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
AC Comics
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 06:10:16 PM »
AC has some things of GA interest

The AC Comics Newsletter

Men of Mystery 82
Fighting Females of the 40's
Available Now!
Femforce fans (as well as our MOM regulars) will LOVE the latest edition of Men of Mystery!
A special "Women of Mystery" issue, focusing on the fighting females of 1940's comicdom!! The first time in history that over 200 pages in one volume have been devoted to classic reprints of vintage heroines!! And this selection includes both the popular and the obscure- 30 full-length stories in all, including a number of first-appearance encores, and more than half a dozen distaff adventurers NEVER reprinted anywhere before!! This spectacular volume includes Fox Feature's PHANTOM LADY in "The Case of the Swindling Eye", drawn by Matt Baker; Standard/Nedor' s MISS MASQUE in "The Gems of Jeopardy", with art by Bob Oksner, Ralph Mayo & Co; a never-before- reprinted MISS VICTORY tale from Holyoke's Captain Aero Comics; "The Mad Monster", with art by Nina Albright; the first appearance of Ace Comics' LIGHTNING GIRL, costumed partner to LASH LIGHTNING, in "The Teacher and the Lesson of Doom"; Fiction House Comics' GALE ALLEN and the Girl Squadron; MYSTA of The Moon, FUTURA and SKY GIRL, all in never-previously- seen adventures, plus the FIRST appearance of SENORITA RIO, from Fight Comics # 19 with art by Nick Cardy; EC's MOON GIRL in "The Rustlers of Ransom Gap", drawn by Johnny Craig; Quality's DOLL GIRL fights side by side with DOLLMAN in "The Voodoo Master", and TORCHY rides a horse in a Bill Ward classic- plus the first appearance of the GGA superheroine WILDFIRE from Smash Comics #25, by Robert Turner and Jim Mooney, and LADY LUCK breaks up a larcenous carnival in a Klaus Nordling-illustrate d episode; the first appearance of Continental Publishing's BLACK VENUS from Contact Comics #1, drawn by Charles Tomsey; Harry "A" Chesler's JET-GIRL teams with ROCKETMAN in an Al Plastino- illustrated adventure, "Murder Hides It's Tracks", from Zip-Jet # 2; Fawcett Comics' BULLETGIRL joins BULLETMAN in tackling "The Homicidal Highjackers" , drawn by Bob Fujitani, from Master Comics #88; and NYOKA The Jungle Girl faces "The Flying Snake" in a Max Elkan-drawn story from Master #109; while IBIS the Invincible is aided by the beauteous TAIA in "The Vampire Cloak", from Whiz #114; Wild West shapshooter KITTY CARSON deals with "Indian Revenge", as illoed by Bob Powell !! As if ALL THAT wasn't enough, there are also these stories featuring female crimefighters making their first-time MOM appearances: BLONDE BOMBER in "Hawaii Has Termites", drawn by Jill Elgin; GALE LEARY-The Will O'The Wisp in an unnamed story from Key Comics #3; Hillman's IRON LADY in her debut story, originally published in Airboy Volume 4, #1; M. E.'s UNDERCOVER GIRL in "The House That Hate Built", by Ogden Whitney; Spark Pubs' GOLDEN GIRL, in her one and only appearance from Golden Lad #5, "The Phoney Policemen"; Centaur Comics The BLUE LADY, in her debut story from Amazing Man Comics #25, and TWO one-shot heroines from Cambridge House's Star Studded Comics, The COMMANDETTE (drawn by Nina Albright) and The GHOST WOMAN!! And that's STILL not all, as this issue includes a bonus story starring The DURANGO KID VS. THE TIGRESS and other surprises!! 220 pages of crystal-clear, state-of-the- art reprints from actual Golden Age comics, in stunning black & white between full-color covers. This perfect-bound, comic-book sized bookshelf volume was released by AC Comics in June, 2010.

Damsels in Distress 2: Cliffhanger Heroines
Available For Immediate Download!
Click Here!
Our popular Damsels in Distress series continues... this time showcasing the fighting females of the 1940's cliffhanger serials! The Saturday matinees of yesteryear gave rise to some of the first and best action heroines to ever grace the silver screen and you'll find some of their greatest exploits gathered here! We've combed through countless serials to compile a nearly FULL HOUR presentation of the best daring deeds, cliffhanger perils, fight scenes, shoot outs and deadly death traps with our battling beauties at the heart of every scene. See wild women dispatch dastardly villains, foil the schemes of maniacal mad men, rescue their leading men from deadly peril and wind up in more than a few tight scrapes of their own. It's pure action from start to finish featuring the courageous and glamorous gals of the chapterplays! Damsels in Distress 2: Cliffhanger Heroines!

Damsels in Distress 3: Jungle Girls
Available Now For Immediate download!
Click Here!

The final volume of our Damsels in Distress series is here... featuring the daring exploits of the cliffhanger serial jungle girls! Some of the best action from the serial chapterplays occurs in these classic and influential films and we've crammed as much as we could fit into this nearly hour long extravaganza. Watch in amazement as our jungle heroines survive an endless array of death traps and cliffhanger perils including a swinging pendulum, collapsing bridges, spiked ceilings, gorilla attacks, explosions, native booby traps and much, much more! The jungle girls were also some of the serial era's best female fighters and we showcase plenty of scenes featuring the girls taking down the bad guys with exciting stunts, vine-swinging action, catfights, gun battles and two-fisted combat. It's pure action from start to finish featuring the courageous and glamorous jungle gals of the chapterplays! Damsels in Distress 3: Jungle Girls!

Offline colescomics

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Coles Comics (Jack Cole)
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 09:00:51 AM »
Thanks for the plugs for Cole's Comics, my blog on the work of Jack Cole (www.colescomics.blogspot.com). In addition to digging up lesser-known work by this master, my aim is to develop an informed critical framework for appreciating and understanding Jack Cole's body of work.

I'm looking for scans of the following books that (to the best of my knowledge) have Jack Cole work in them:

Western Killers #61, 62, #70 (Fox)

Plastic Man #40

Punch Comics #11 (Harry Chesler, 1944)

Circus #1 (Early Cole)

Military Comics 29, 30 (Pvt Dogtag)

The Illustrated Weekender V2#1 (Rucker Pub Co.) 1945 Same cover as Dynamic #11

Funny Pages (Centaur) V2 - #7, 8, 10, 11 / V3 - #2, 6, 9, 10 / V4 - #37 (second Mantoka story)

Keen Detective Funnies (Centaur) v2, - #2, 3

Keen Comics (Centaur) V2#3 (Nov. 1939) Saddle Sniffl by Cole

Star Comics (Centaur) #11 (first Jack Cole art 1 page), V2 - #1, 3, cover V2#1

Target 5-8 (Novelty, 1940)

Yankee Comics 4 (1942, Harry Chesler, Remington Morse “Ima Slooth”)

Boy's Life - various issues from 1937-40 (cartoons and illustrations by Cole)

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but be sure to check out my buddy Frank Young's excellent blog dedicated to John Stanley (Little Lulu): www.stanleystories.blogspot.com

Also, a totally oddball GA comics blog that I've come to really enjoy is The Panelological Pantheon: panelologicalpantheon.blogspot.com/ .
Curator:
Coles Comics (Blog about Jack Cole)
Comic Book Attic (With Frank Young)

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »
You might want a look at this site. Paul is a real expert and enthusiast, encyclopedic almost.  He's also a very nice bloke.  Not much about golden age but anyone interested in the big world of comics should find something of interest.

http://www.paulgravett.com/

And, while I'm at it, here's pages about Dudley D. Watkins, the man who gave the world The Broons and Oor Wullie.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I and millions of others have for decades.

http://www.thatsbraw.co.uk/Biog/DDW-Page.htm#six

Apologies if anyone is concerned about the lack of American stuff on these links but I hope it again shows just how much else there is out there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:23:17 AM by paw broon »
Stephen Montgomery

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »
Thanks for the links Paw.
PaulG's blog has an interesting review of the Spiegelman's Jack Cole book here for those into Cole -
http://tinyurl.com/2e9sprb

-Yoc

Offline Ami_GFX

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2010, 08:12:15 AM »
Thanks for the plugs for Cole's Comics, my blog on the work of Jack Cole (www.colescomics.blogspot.com). In addition to digging up lesser-known work by this master, my aim is to develop an informed critical framework for appreciating and understanding Jack Cole's body of work.

Your blog is much appreciated. Cole is one of the golden age greats along with Eisner and Kirby and did much to set the style and tone of the whole comic book medium. Unfornunately, due to his untimely death, his work was obscure and hard to find when I got into comics in the early 70s while there were loads of reprints of Kirby and Eisner's golden age work as well as articles about them and interviews with them in fanzines. They were alive and basking in appreciation of their work and still producing more while Jack Cole was long gone and his work neglected. Keep up the good work.