developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Could I ask what the forum's opinion is on the concept of "reimagining"?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Welsh Comic Fan

• DCM Member
As I have been reading some of the "Sparky Watts" comics and think that it would be an interesting idea to redo them (using the same concepts but relocating it to the United Kingdom and the modern day) to see what a person with superpowers could do in the modern era?

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
These are public domain WCF, you can do what you want with them.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
There's obviously not going to be a unified opinion, but I'd point out first that, as Yoc said, no matter what anybody says should happen, the adventures are in the public domain in the country of publication, so you can use them as you'd use Hamlet or Beowulf.

That said, something I've long been tired of are modernizations that exist just to suck the fun out of everything.  Personally, I wouldn't mind a twenty-first century Sparky, but I don't have an interest in seeing, say, a Sparky whose inventions invariably kill people accidentally while he does drugs and can't deal with the stress of doing good things.  To me, that's not only not fun, but seems to try to remove the fun from the original stories by implying the character MUST have been like that behind the scenes.

But on the other hand, that seems to sell.  Go figure...

Confusing enough...?

Offline Welsh Comic Fan

• DCM Member
That said, something I've long been tired of are modernizations that exist just to suck the fun out of everything.  Personally, I wouldn't mind a twenty-first century Sparky, but I don't have an interest in seeing, say, a Sparky whose inventions invariably kill people accidentally while he does drugs and can't deal with the stress of doing good things.  To me, that's not only not fun, but seems to try to remove the fun from the original stories by implying the character MUST have been like that behind the scenes.

Don't you worry, I would try my best to continue to tradition of him having superpowers (but not quite knowing what to do with them)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
I would have to agree with John. Same spirit just set in modern times would be interesting. Sparky was a fun character