developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: How do you spell Kaanga?  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Bob Hughes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
How do you spell Kaanga?
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
Is it Kaanga?  Ka'a'nga?  Kaänga?

Digital Comic Museum

How do you spell Kaanga?
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: How do you spell Kaanga?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:15:22 PM »
It is actually Ka*a*nga with the asterix being dots and it is Ka*a*nga Jungle King

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »
DCM's software doesn't like special characters in any file names, etc.
Upload a file with any of them and it buggers the file.

Offline moondood

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Professional comics letterer & writer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:25:57 AM »
Funny--I was just downloading a Kaanga or two and was wondering about the pronunciation.

Those dots are called an umlat--most commonly found in European languages--Scandinavia--German, etc.

To tell the truth--I don't know how to pronounce an umlat-accented vowel.

Since I was a kid in the 70's, I pronounced the comic Ka-anga--with a pause where the dash is--but that's probably 'cause I thought the title was actually: Ka'anga.

I'm certainly not an expert on African languages, but that pronunciation seemed appropriate to the content.

But now that I know it's an umlat in the logo and not an apostrophe--I'm just not sure.

Moondood

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:33:52 AM »
To answer the thread title, R-O-L...hang on, that's something else.  (Also appropriate, but not for written formats, "K-3-A-N-G-A, but the three is silent.)  Cue crickets...

Anyway, yes, the dieresis (German's umlaut, basically) in English (from the French) says "this vowel is pronounced, and unrelated to it's neighbors."  Thus, the name "Noel" is pronounced as one syllable, while "Noël" is pronounced as in "nobody from Superman's family.  If you read enough old books, you'll also find that most double-vowels that come in compounded (or other aggregate) words are often marked the same way for the same reason, coöperation being the biggie.  So it's probably pronounced Kah-Angah, where the latter is "anger" with a dropped-r at the end (think Bostonian pronunciation).

It's just a guess, but the wider use of typed correspondence (with respect to hand-written or typeset works, where any formatting or marking is possible) has led accenting to fall out of favor.  I think it's an educated guess, though, because there's the tradition (also carried over from French, and I believe it's also the Spanish rule for the tilde) that capitalized letters are accented only optionally--because under many mechanical conditions, you can't guarantee that you'll have space above the full-sized form when printing.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »
Shouldn't this be a new thread called "how do you PRONOUNCE Kaänga?"  ;)

I always thought (don't recall ever SAYING it out loud) it was Ka angah, too.

(|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Bob Hughes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »
I still don't see any reason to think it's an umlaut or a dieresis.  The dots are not on top of the A, they're on each side of it.  Which makes them aspiration marks, "Kahahnga".  Or, if they're really an attempt to approximate African languages, they're clicks, properly written with a pipe (above the \ on your keyboard- I don't want to do anything to screw up the web page.)  Which would be pronounced "Katchaghngga".

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
Interesting!
Thanks for that info Bob.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »
I still don't see any reason to think it's an umlaut or a dieresis.  The dots are not on top of the A, they're on each side of it.  Which makes them aspiration marks, "Kahahnga".  Or, if they're really an attempt to approximate African languages, they're clicks, properly written with a pipe (above the \ on your keyboard- I don't want to do anything to screw up the web page.)  Which would be pronounced "Katchaghngga".

I thing it's likely that they are dieresis, as John points out. If you go back to Kaänga's appearances in Jungle Comics, which precede the solo title, it's very clear that the dots are positioned above the Ä. Here's the title graphic and a caption block from Jungle #5.
http://www.bpib.com/test/GAC/kaanga.jpg
With the advent of the solo TITLE, the marks migrate to varying locations beside, above, or partway inbetween. The Ka'a'nga title is a logo, and the placement of the marks/dots appears to be a graphic treatment. If you ONLY look at the covers of the Ka'a'nga comic, then, yes, you'd be certain that they were aspiration marks and not a dieresis. However, the lettering of the name in the interior stories varies from issue to issue (and from title to title), perhaps with the whims of the editor or the literacy of the letterer. It would be nice if there had ever been a typeset Kaänga text story so we could see how T.T. Scott envisioned his name.

We may never know...

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
It would be nice if there had ever been a typeset Kaänga text story so we could see how T.T. Scott envisioned his name.
We may never know...

To draw attention to it (because I think you intended it, but it's overwhelmed by the logo), the lettering IN the caption has the same appearance.  That could be a good line of inquiry.

There is, don't forget, the possibility that they intentionally changed it.  Most people who recognize it would recognize it as a German thing, after all, and that may not play well.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 07:19:05 AM »

[/quote]
There is, don't forget, the possibility that they intentionally changed it.  Most people who recognize it would recognize it as a German thing, after all, and that may not play well.
[/quote]

Interesting point

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:55:01 AM »
In the 50s, I'd be surprised if most literate people in the US wouldn't recognize an umlaut from the word co'o'peration (see how lazy I am).  I recall it being written that was a lot.  Would kids who read the comics?  Who knows, but they wouldn't care if it were intentionally changed either. I don't imagine.  They probably called him that K-Tarzan guy anyway  :-)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
Download Ka'a'nga #1 and 3, guys, and compare the graphic logo rendition on the cover with the treatment of the name in the stories inside. Also, note that there IS a Kaanga text story in issue #1 and there is no marks on either of the "a"s. The treatment of the second
"a" in the interior logos of #3 varies, too. I still maintain that the 'a' treatment of the Ka'a'nga comic logo is a graphic and not an intentional change that was applied across the titles and stories in which the character appeared.

I agree, Jon, that no one probably noticed or cared about the change, one would think that the publisher would have liked to have had SOME consistency. One would be wrong, it seems.

Offline LargoWinch

• DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 06:13:11 PM »
Interesting.

I never gave it a second thought and always mentally pronounced it Ka-anga to reflect the dieresis.

Then again ... so's my name afflicted with the same pronounciation.

Michaël