- +

Author Topic: Pics of Cap's costume from Captain America - first Avenger  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Pics of Cap's costume from Captain America - first Avenger
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »
Pics are floating around of the costume reported to be used in the upcoming movie.
To say I'm underwhelmed would be a gross understatement.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45326

-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

Pics of Cap's costume from Captain America - first Avenger
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Pics of Cap's costume from Captain America - first Avenger
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »
OK, to get my bias out of the way, I want to point out that I'm not much of a movie-goer, especially for superheroes.  I don't "get" the whole "let's ground it in realism and waste half the movie explaining who the characters are."

On the other side, I love the idea of Captain America, but have yet to see anybody write the character how he needs to be to get any kind of traction with the public.

So that said...I'm going to suggest that my real problem is that it's supposed to be Captain America, whose name and costume are at least somewhat iconic.  Deviation from the classic is the sort of thing that can only hurt recognition.  It'd be like dressing Batman in black rubber...uhm...never mind.

(Another, lesser problem comes from viewing Captain America as a comic book character:  The costume would be too fussy to draw regularly with any degree of consistency.  But it's not a comic, so that's more than a little moot...)

However, on the other hand, it's actually a pretty nifty costume.  If you squint your eyes, it's clearly inspired by the United States Army uniforms of the day, and still manages to look more patriotic you might expect the character to look in a day when patriotism is often confused with chauvenism and is more connected to organizations than ideals.

In other words, I like it, but not for Cap.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »
It's got some not bad points.  I don't even mind the belts, etc.
I can even understand losing the little wings though I'd have called them brave and liked it more if they had them.
The missing red stripes in the white section bothers me the most.

It's based on a version I've seen someplace or other in the past.  New Invaders or something?

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
Well, I think the suspenders are supposed to be the stripes, which would be more obvious if the gloves and boots were the same red instead of that neutral brownish color.

As for the wings, I think it's a big part of everything I dislike about Marvel:  The creators consistently act like they're embarassed to have to deal with their characters.  And what's worse is that they try to hide exactly the wrong things.  They poo-poo the winged cowls and altruism as "childish" or "unrealistic" while keeping the hyper-organized teams, secret identities, and so forth, which would actually never work in reality.

And I'm sure the toning down of the red is intended to, y'know, tone down the "America" aspect, since that's also a guaranteed embarassment for the Marvel and Hollywood folks.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
All true John.
'We're embarrassed this is a comic book character so we'll make it 'serious', you know, like X-Men.  Everyone liked X-men after all.'  I'm sure a Wonder Woman movie will have the same problems.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »
Had the revamped "Clash of the Titans" done better at the box office, I would've assumed that they'd just pick a random Perez-ish plot and have her fight giant monsters for an hour and a half.

Well, an hour and a half minus the time to establish Princess Diana's life on Paradise Island (because we care; this is, in fact, my caring face...), detailing the obligatory arch-enemy (Circe, no doubt) as a childhood playmate of Diana's, and on and on and on...

Though yeah, Wonder Woman does have more of that the "Marvel problem" than DC does, since "the Invisible Plane makes no sense" and she has all of Marston's S&M trappings.  I'm actually surprised DC spent so much effort in keeping the license for all those years, when the character has never really been all that popular.  Sort of like Captain America, great idea, but consistently lousy execution...

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
Both are icons for some reason.  A nice costume and good timing more than anything.  But those costumes are the very things that make them unattractive today.  Wolverine and Batman - sure I can see them being popular but anything overly patriotic seems the opposite these days.  Smallville seems terrified of the iconic costume.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 07:53:29 AM »
It's not just patriotism, though that's a big part of the bee up Hollywood's bonnet, I'm sure.  They've spent so much time building up the "Ugly American" stereotype that they don't want to damage the brand.  But more importantly, I think, it's the optimism.

For all the propaganda about "Brightest Days" and "Heroic Ages," thanks mostly to O'Neill in the '70s and Moore and Miller in the '80s, heroes are still only "cool" if they can brood obsessively about their "burden" (of making the world better, mind you) and hiding in the shadows so that nobody can ever figure out who he or she really is.

The message was supposed to be that any loser you meet could be saving the entire universe during his lunchbreak, whereas today they're written more as the kid who's terrified that Coach'll find out he's been taking ballet lessons.  Hopefully, the irony isn't lost, here, that this is coming from creators who obsess over how much credit and ownership they get for their own work on characters who are terrified to take any such credit.

Well, I guess you CAN be willing to take ownership as a superhero, but you need to be an adrenaline junkie or in it for the fame and fortune, like the classic Booster Gold (or the original Elongated Man concept, if we want to go back further) or the recent Iron Man movie.  In other words, you can put your name on your work only if you're socially deficient somehow.  Nobody would ever do it because it's the responsible thing to do.  "Real heroes" obviously cower in the shadows behind a fake name (heh--present company excluded, of course!) or only associate with other people "like them."

And yeah, "Smallville" is a big part of that.  It's not just the costume, but the very nature of the series that Clark is...kind of a jerk, more interested in his own life than improving the world, and absurdly insecure on top of it all.  And yet, somehow, everybody bows to him as the greatest person ever to walk the Earth because of some "destiny."  Of course a character like that wouldn't wear a bright costume.  The first time someone looked at his crotch, he'd soil himself with worry.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:59:22 PM by John C »

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »
As costumes go, it strikes me as pretty decent, given that it's Hollywood.
Nice touch that in profile the back of the head has a little flip ala the old Nazi helmets.  Ha.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 12:02:17 AM »
LOL, that's a funny last sentence John.
Poztron, if you check Capt. America #1 you'll see elements of his first mask in the Hollywood one.

-Yoc

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 12:30:46 AM »
Poztron, if you check Capt. America #1 you'll see elements of his first mask in the Hollywood one.
Will do. At least I will as soon as I get an opportunity to see Capt. America #1, which I don't believe is at this site.  Perhaps there is a MMC reprint out there.  :D

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 12:46:26 AM »
Oh there's lots of reprints of that issue from Marvel.  Gaudy coloured Masterworks, etc.
Being non-PD we can't host it but I would think it wouldn't be hard to find with some looking.
Take a look at the cover to Cap #1 and you'll notice his mask is quite different.. and the shield of course.