developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Advertisements and Tobacco  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
Advertisements and Tobacco
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:46:51 AM »
Hi,

I have put a few more advertisements on my site

http://furycomics.com/a/comics/viewer/11/Selected_Products/

Some are gloriously suspect, eg: the telescope being used to view a beach babe, and the exploding hand grenade might not be so appreciated post 9/11!

One thing is that there are NO advertisements for tobacco. There are ads for lighters, ash trays etc but none for cigarettes. Does anyone know the reason for this? (I am based in England so if this is a stupid question I apologize)

Regards,

Mark

Digital Comic Museum

Advertisements and Tobacco
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:46:51 AM »

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Advertisements and Tobacco
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
I have put a few more advertisements on my site

http://furycomics.com/a/comics/viewer/11/Selected_Products/

Some are gloriously suspect, eg: the telescope being used to view a beach babe, and the exploding hand grenade might not be so appreciated post 9/11!

One thing is that there are NO advertisements for tobacco. There are ads for lighters, ash trays etc but none for cigarettes. Does anyone know the reason for this? (I am based in England so if this is a stupid question I apologize)

A fun collection of ads.

Regarding no tobacco ads, my guess would be two-fold:  1) That even pre-CCA, the comics publishers likely had a policy of no liquor or tobacco ads, as comics were perceived as having a large juvenile readership; and 2) comics were near the bottom of the ad dollar food chain and the space buyers at the top-flight ad agencies handling the tobacco accounts considered their dollars better spent with ads in Sat. Evening Post or Colliers or Liberty or whatever.

In other words, the comics publishers could appear virtuous by banning ads that weren't going to be placed in comics anyway. (Of course this didn't stop ads for tobacco paraphernalia, as you point out, or for girdles for men (!), etc., but that stuff was largely mail-order crapola.

Just my guess...

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
Re: Advertisements and Tobacco
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:39:32 AM »
Thanks, I think you might be on the right lines and I also realize that I don't think I have seen any alchohol advertisements either. Yes the girdle is rather contraption, a bit of a Cary Grant look about the "model".