- +

Author Topic: Comic Creators Appearing in their own stories.  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Mauro Motta

• DCM Member
Re: Comic Creators Appearing in their own stories.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »
... wondering how many other writers and Artists showed up INSIDE the comics they created.
Well, in the STAR TREK comic, the U.P. president had an avian secretary called D'falco
that could be a version of Tom DeFalco.   
Also, the earliest appearance of the Phantom Blot, his unmasked face looked like a
"dog" version of W. Disney's face..

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »

Offline BobS

• Banned
  • DCM Member
  • public enemy #1
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »
"Inky" Roussos is in a Target and the Targeteers story available on DCM.

Offline BobS

• Banned
  • DCM Member
  • public enemy #1
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
DC etc. did some Rutland VT Halloween Parade stories with various fans and pros there.
The Rutland Halloween Parade was popularized by Batman fan Tom Fagan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutland_Halloween_Parade

Bob
Public Enemy #1

Offline colescomics

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Coles Comics (Jack Cole)
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »
In addition to the early Plastic Man story in POLICE COMICS #20 that was mentioned at the start of this very interesting thread, Jack Cole also portrayed himself as Ralph Johns in SILVER STREAK #5. "Ralph Johns" was Cole's oft-used pen name. It was a combination of his middle name (Ralph) and the formal version of Jack (John). Later, Cole also drew himself into two wonderful, but little-known "Inkie" stories that appeared in CRACK COMICS 33 and 34. "Inkie" was a series about a comic book character come-to-life (sort of like Max Fliesher's "Out of the Inkwell" cartoons). In the series, which ran for a while in CRACK, I note that artist AL STAHL also drew himself. In COle's two "Inkie" stories, he portrays an editor that could be based on a real editor at Quality at the time. I'm haven't figured that one out, yet. Anyway, if anyone is interested, the two Jack Cole "Inkie" stories are published at the Cole's Comics blog: http://colescomics.blogspot.com/search/label/Theme:%20Self-Portrait
Curator:
Coles Comics (Blog about Jack Cole)
Comic Book Attic (With Frank Young)

Offline colescomics

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 06:57:31 PM »
I just recalled legendary Orlando Florida cartoonist and comic book historian Jim Ivey showing me a few places in 1970's DC comics where he had been drawn in by, I think Neal Adams, among others. I recall that Mr. Ivey was quite proud of this!
Curator:

Offline Salty

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 07:10:15 AM »
Has anyone yet mentioned Strange Adventures # 140:  "the Strange Adventure that Really Happened" with DC staff incl Gardner Fox, Sid Greene & Julie Schwartz?

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 07:45:17 AM »
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kZwgYcSrHR8/TH-pEAf3yII/AAAAAAAAB7M/GRaAN_nSyog/s800/fletcher%20hanks.jpg
From Fantastic Comics # 5 (Stardust story), according to Paul Karasik's book "I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets", this image was identified as being Fletcher Hanks by his son.

Offline SharanMcQuack

• DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 08:38:53 AM »
Carl Barks popped up in a issue of 'Ducktales". As a carature of himself.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:54:15 AM by SharanMcQuack »

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 03:51:11 PM »
If we're talking Disney creators here, why not mention the Pertwillaby Papers?  Don Rosa drew himself as the hero, Lance Pertwillaby.

Offline Guardian7

• DCM Member
  • Solarman
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 11:40:33 PM »
John Byrne inserted himself in "The Trial of Reed Richards!" in the Fantastic Four (Prominently so).

Chris Clairmont and John Byrne, possibly Terry Austin also appeared in the first Alpha Flight story of the X-MEN that spawned them. During the Shaman/Storm out of control blizzard sequence.

I personally dislike it when space is wasted on the artist inserting himself in a story (particularly of an ongoing series). Just my own personal tastes I suppose. As background stuff I am okay with.

Kinda like how Stan Lee seems to always appear in a Marvel Film. I just think it is a waste of space and unnecessary to the story.

G7
Huge HUGE fan of Centaur stuff

Offline cj_finnegan

• DCM Member
    • The Fawcett Universe!
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »
C.C. Beck drew himself as the villain of "Captain Marvel and the Machines of Murder!", from CMA # 145.

Offline colescomics

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »
Thanks very much, everybody, for the terrific input. For what it's worth, here's our little piece at our Comic Book Attic blog on the subject:

http://comicbookattic.blogspot.com/2011/11/suicide-slum-comix-simon-and-kirbys.html

Obviously, there's a LOT more to be explored and said about this fascinating aspect of comics!

Keep Watching the Skies,
Paul Tumey
Curator:

Offline KevinP

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
ANIMAL MAN discovered that he was in a comic book, passed through a Limbo of cancelled characters and finally met Grant Morrison in person.

This isn't unique to comics either, A Bertram Chandler's sf hero John Grimes crossed over to our Earth and met Chandler.
"Stories are signposts to help the world choose between the darkness and the light." ~Arago

Offline KevinP

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »
Talk about conibidence ... I just DLed BLUE BOLT V4 N7 from DCM and the Sergeant Spook story has him meeting his artist John Jordan!
"Stories are signposts to help the world choose between the darkness and the light." ~Arago