Help and Support > Feedback and Suggestions

Facebook page for DCM

(1/4) > >>

kusunoki:
I was wondering what the admins (and community) might think of putting up a facebook page dedicated to this site. It seems to me that this is one way to potentially reach a wider audience and build the membership. I don't think it's very tricky to do, and I would be willing to take a stab at it if it is judges a good idea.

John C:
Don't consider this definitive, since I haven't spoken to any of the other people behind the scenes, but it's not really an idea that thrills me, personally.

For one thing, Facebook shows a lot of signs of driving users away, no matter what they claim about the benefits of advertising.  I know you're not talking about advertising, per se, but it's still something of an issue.

For another, my feeling is that the relative smallness (and steady growth just by word of mouth) of the community here is its strength.  It's very much a "small town" atmosphere, rather than Wikipedia, 4chan, or any of the other large online communities.  This is one of the very few areas where we don't have people bickering over what artist is better or how modern books are SOOO much better (or worse) than older books.

Along similar lines, I would also worry about the level of support required.  I don't really like the idea of waking up to another twenty people who can't be bothered to read to find out how to open the files, feel the need to complain about scans from microfiche, or that we dare to contradict what "everybody knows" about copyrights.

Again, don't consider that official, because we haven't discussed it.  And there might be perfectly valid reasons to tell me I'm full of crap.  But for the most part, I don't see a real benefit to loitering on Facebook.

JVJ (RIP):
I guess no one ever explained to you the simple rationale behind "bigger is better", did they John?

Simply because THERE ISN'T ONE! I'm with you. Let the site grow naturally and organically. Big just means more, and more is unlikely to include more scans but rather more downloads, more headaches, more glitches, more support needs.

I've never understood the modern desire to be "popular". Frankly, I'd much rather be rich, but that ain't likely to happen, either.

Consider this my entry in the "discussion."

(|:{>

Yoc:
Hi guys,
I've never understood the attraction of Facebook or Twitter and don't plan on joining either.
If we don't have one of the admin on FB to keep an eye on it I don't feel comfortable with using it to advertise DCM.
And we are doing just fine as is.  Checking the stats at the bottom of the forum I see we are getting 7 new members a day on average.  Not bad for doing zero advertising.

Thanks for thinking of us though K,
-Yoc

kusunoki:
Noted and understood. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version