- +

Author Topic: ACG Unknown Worlds  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Salty

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
ACG Unknown Worlds
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
Why is the ACG title Unknown Worlds not available at DCM? 

Digital Comic Museum

ACG Unknown Worlds
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: ACG Unknown Worlds
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
Unknown Worlds did not start until 1960 and is thus not golden age

Offline Salty

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:37:13 AM »
Well, since the 60s issues of ACG's other anth titles are available, I though it might be appropriate to have the Unk/Ws here too. Some Ditko & Buscema art that folks here might like to see.   

Offline moondood

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Professional comics letterer & writer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 01:04:35 AM »
But the point of this site--is the golden age--by some scholars ended in 1945--by others butting up to the Silver age--in what is it?---1956, I think.  Showcase #4 with the Flash revival.

So anything in the 1960's is verboten on this site.  A lot of it is good stuff, of course--but by 1960--it's no longer Golden Age.

moondood

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:19:43 PM »
You are far more likely to find SA scans on GAC than here Salty.
I don't see any of that title there though you might suggest it.

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:49:52 AM »
Not sure of the status of ACG silver so GAC is holding off. Boughton did reprints but must have proven financially not worthwhile. My guess is with no money to be made or lost it would not be a problem but GAC is playing it safe because it appears that they did go to Boughton.

Offline crimsoncrusader

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 06:49:42 PM »
Any issue published before 1964 was not renewed and would be public domain. Those issues could be added to GAC.

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 06:28:24 AM »
You are far more likely to find SA scans on GAC than here Salty.
I don't see any of that title there though you might suggest it.

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php
Am I the only one here who finds it slightly ironic that the Golden Age Comics site would host silver age books, and the Digital Comics Museum (whose name doesn't restrict itself to a particular age) would not? ;)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 08:34:31 AM »
No Snard you are not alone that has often crossed my mind, especially as GAC branches into later pd books. BTW: did Boughton renew any of those ACG books?

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 07:28:21 AM »
Am I the only one here who finds it slightly ironic that the Golden Age Comics site would host silver age books, and the Digital Comics Museum (whose name doesn't restrict itself to a particular age) would not? ;)

It's kinda-sorta on the long term "roadmap," but most of the staff worries we don't have the manpower/discipline to keep things on the level or successfully deal with someone (along the lines of a John Carbonaro) who "bought the rights," doesn't know what that means, and will happily use sneaky means to keep people from using the material.

It's an ongoing discussion, but the Golden Age limit, for the moment, is artificial and mostly because it's what we know how to check and organize quickly.

One problem raised, for example, is that we don't have a practical way to defend against fraud.  If we accept books based on a lack of valid copyright statement, for example, we're relying on every uploader to not tamper with the indicia.  While I can't think of anybody in the general community that isn't trustworthy, we all know there are people out on the Internet who'd do it just for the sake of vandalism.

You might think that this is paranoid, but running a site like this carries a lot of the stigma associated with the pirate sites, so keeping noses clean needs to be a fairly high priority.

Offline GeneYas

• DCM Member

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »
Even htmlcomics was given simple cease and desist but would not comply. GCD had a problem with an underground comic creator and removed all his comics covers. Hansen sent a cease and desist for his Ralph Snart until more was explained to him and effort was made to supply the indexes to those covers. GAC will immediately remove any files questioned.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 09:52:16 AM »
It's worth pointing out, though, that "Cease and Desist" letter isn't an obligation, it's a courtesy.  Marvel (to pick a random example) doesn't WANT to go to court.  It's expensive and public, serves to draw attention to the thriving piracy industry, and might target someone who just doesn't know any better.  The C&D tries to avoid all that by just asking the offender to stop.

However, if they didn't care about their image or wanted to draw attention to things, they could just sue.  And the more HTMLComics-type sites rear their heads who refuse to acknowledge the Intellectual Property rights, the more likely it is that someone (again, not the large companies, but probably some idiot who didn't ask precisely what he was buying) will start doing exactly that, on the chance that there's money to be made soaking pirates, since they're unpopular anyway.

And as I suggested before, there's also the possibility that someone could scan the Silverwolf comics and Photoshop away the copyright statement in the indicia.  We'd never notice until the owner (who tried to revive the line once before, not that I think he'd sink to this level) came screaming, possibly using the situation in hopes of getting back in the public eye.

Offline GeneYas

• DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
It's worth pointing out, though, that "Cease and Desist" letter isn't an obligation, it's a courtesy.  Marvel (to pick a random example) doesn't WANT to go to court.  It's expensive and public, serves to draw attention to the thriving piracy industry, and might target someone who just doesn't know any better.  The C&D tries to avoid all that by just asking the offender to stop.

However, if they didn't care about their image or wanted to draw attention to things, they could just sue.  And the more HTMLComics-type sites rear their heads who refuse to acknowledge the Intellectual Property rights, the more likely it is that someone (again, not the large companies, but probably some idiot who didn't ask precisely what he was buying) will start doing exactly that, on the chance that there's money to be made soaking pirates, since they're unpopular anyway.

And as I suggested before, there's also the possibility that someone could scan the Silverwolf comics and Photoshop away the copyright statement in the indicia.  We'd never notice until the owner (who tried to revive the line once before, not that I think he'd sink to this level) came screaming, possibly using the situation in hopes of getting back in the public eye.

I agree. I don't think it's worth risking if you are unsure. Too much work has gone into the archive to let one questionable comic or series risk it all.

Gene