- +

Author Topic: freddyfly's Uploads  (Read 305104 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
Re: freddyfly's Uploads
« Reply #1095 on: July 29, 2012, 08:34:28 AM »
Nice, thanks again Len!

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #1095 on: July 29, 2012, 08:34:28 AM »

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1096 on: July 29, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »
It's morning!
So how about a Platinum Age addition: Feature Funnies 4! Coverless, so a HAG fc, but no bc.

That's a beautiful issue. I love early stories featuring the Clock, but even without the Clock story this issue has some nice series.

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1097 on: July 31, 2012, 02:22:58 AM »
A Fawcett Fiche-replacement tonight: Captain Marvel Jr 80.
Nice to see those Startlings! Are you going to keep the old fiches?

Is the complete FamFun 91 circulating yet?
-Len W.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #1098 on: July 31, 2012, 09:12:51 AM »
Been busy Len, sorry.
No on FF91 but very soon.

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1099 on: August 02, 2012, 01:02:07 AM »
Some Fictional House stuff tonight:
Best is a c2c Fight 28!
Least is a replacement for movielover's upgrade of my original upload of Jungle 78. He added the ifc/ibc; I've now added the text story from snard's new upload, so it's c2c. (plus the usual screenshots added).
In-between is a new c2c Sheena 14, with the missing Simba, text & junk pages added, and new, larger Sheenascans (I kept 4 of the old ad scans) (it'll be upped later tonight)
-Len W.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #1100 on: August 02, 2012, 08:27:42 AM »
Great work Len!

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1101 on: August 03, 2012, 11:55:14 PM »
 :'(  Sorry... I got caught by the Capital-letter sorting problem: the 3 old Sheena 14 ad-scans were named 'Sheena14...', and the others were 'sheena14...', so the ads appeared first in Preview.
So: I used my CP to upload a fixed version, but the 'cover' thumb will remain the front-page house ad.
-Len W.

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1102 on: August 04, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
Tonight, another minor Jungle upgrade thx to snard: an upgraded version of my old Jungle 72 upload, now c2c with snard's ifc+ibc (and screenshots added)
I need your help to remove my old one.

And an upgrade to my Western Crime Busters #1: new & improved larger scans! (old one has been dumped)

And, a brand new c2c Blue Bolt: v4n4!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:00:05 AM by freddyfly »
-Len W.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #1103 on: August 05, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
Done, thanks Len!

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1104 on: August 06, 2012, 03:45:53 AM »
Tonight, two more minor Jungle upgrade thx to snard: upgraded versions of my old Jungle 64 & 71 uploads, now c2c with snard's cf for 64, and his ifc,ibc&bc plus a better fc from HAG for 71 (and, of course, screenshots added).

I removed the old 71, but I need your help again to remove the old 64. Thx!
-Len W.

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1105 on: August 06, 2012, 06:41:32 AM »
This is intended to be a call for discussion, that I'm hoping will result in less confusion going forward.

The last few uploads by freddyfly and myself have been Jungle issues for which there are now multiple scans of each online. I've been labeling the title of my uploads with "-JVJ" at the end, but per past conventions, I've also been including "(diff ver)(c2c)" in there, since my uploads were a different scan, and provided a c2c version where the previous scan had been incomplete. Following these uploads, freddyfly has subsequently provided c2c versions of his original scans, using fill pages from my uploads, labeled "(first version upgrade; now c2c)". As a result, both books' title lines now seem to be more complicated than they need to be.

I'd like to suggest a simpler naming convention for cases like this where there are multiple scans for the same book online: rather than use "diff version" or "first version" or whatnot, just use a suffix for the origin of the scan. This could be "-JVJ" (which is already present on many scans) or "-freddyfly" or "-bhcomics" where appropriate. If all versions of a scan are c2c, then it seems unnecessary for them all to carry that label. My suggestion would be to label incomplete scans as such (e.g. "inc", "-ifc -ibc -bc", "-cf", "no ads" or whatever is appropriate).

I realize that it's nice to label a scan as "update" or "upgraded" to let people know there's a new version they might want to download, but unfortunately, the "upgraded" will probably still be there in the title a year from now.

I would welcome further discussion on this. (Including "if it ain't broke, don't fix it")

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1106 on: August 06, 2012, 07:31:39 AM »
Tonight, two more minor Jungle upgrade thx to snard: upgraded versions of my old Jungle 64 & 71 uploads, now c2c with snard's cf for 64, and his ifc,ibc&bc plus a better fc from HAG for 71 (and, of course, screenshots added).

I removed the old 71, but I need your help again to remove the old 64. Thx!

Len,

Just curious; are you able to access the old scan via the "User CP" link at the top of the Files area page? I think it's possible to re-upload the file associated with a particular upload, as well as rename an existing scan.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #1107 on: August 06, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »
Hi Snard,
A lot of Len's old scans show him as uploader when it was actually Narf or myself who added the books.
This was back in the GAC days when only he and I could actually add new scans.  2009 or so IIRC.

Not sure what to say about your label suggestion.  We really would rather not have all scanners adding their 'tags' on the end of every upload which is what I suspect could easily happen.  The 'JVJ' label is a special case as we felt it important to acknowledge Jim's exceptional contribution to the hobby.  That is in no way a slight to all the other scanners out there like yourself or Len so please, nobody take offence.  Len knows he's one of the all time #1 or 2 providers of scans to the site.  Thanks Len!

Perhaps in this case, where two versions exist adding (ffly ver) wouldn't be a bad idea to distinguish between them.  
But DCM does reserve the right to rename anything that doesn't fit in with the site.

Thanks again to ALL scanners out there making DCM the amazing repository for scans that it has become.
-Yoc

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1108 on: August 06, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
Not sure what to say about your label suggestion.  We really would rather not have all scanners adding their 'tags' on the end of every upload which is what I suspect could easily happen.  The 'JVJ' label is a special case as we felt it important to acknowledge Jim's exceptional contribution to the hobby.  That is in no way a slight to all the other scanners out there like yourself or Len so please, nobody take offence.  Len knows he's one of the all time #1 or 2 providers of scans to the site.  Thanks Len!

Perhaps in this case, where two versions exist adding (ffly ver) wouldn't be a bad idea to distinguish between them.  
But DCM does reserve the right to rename anything that doesn't fit in with the site.

Actually, I was only suggesting an "origin" suffix for cases where there are multiple scans of the same book (and the noted exception of putting "-JVJ" on all scans of his books, even if it's the only scan).

And of course, this is your site, so you get to make the rules on naming and such. I guess part of my reason for bringing this up is that we all know what the "rules" are, so you won't have to rename our uploads as often, when we get the naming wrong.

Thanks again for all your work in maintaining this repository.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #1109 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »
How critical is it to have all the information in the file name, guys?
Wouldn't it work to just name the different version "-1" and "-2" (or "-a" and "-b") and put all of the scanner/source information in the "description". Everyone deserves credit for their efforts and we have several ways outside of the filename to make certain that the work is attributed to the right person. It would be on the second level of displayed information - i.e. one would have to click on the issue in order to see it (rather than it being visible when one clicked on the title).

Thank you all for insisting on the "JVJ" appellation. I'm really honored (and proud) that you decided to do that. (Does anyone have a way of easily calculating how MANY comics of mine have made it to the site?)

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.