- +

Author Topic: freddyfly's Uploads  (Read 305711 times)

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: freddyfly's Uploads
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
Thanks so much for adding the Super-Mystery Comics issues, Len.

It was interesting reading the Magno and Davey story in Super Mystery v3 #5. Some of these stories were pretty violent -- my jaw admittedly dropped when I saw the panels of horrified, screaming people being burned alive and having limbs reduced to charred cinders. Kind of reminded me of the later story where Davey investigates a crazed psychotic who is strangling kids to death that ride bicycles. Maybe this would all be considered "tame" to modern day young readers who are literally saturated with extreme violence and gore at a young age, but Golden Age books were anything but an innocent and G-rated form of entertainment (by contrast, this stuff would have never passed the 1930 Production/Hays Code in films). At least, we can admit that things didn't start rolling in terms of violent images or content with William Gaines, the freakout about his comic titles somehow being damaging to kids, and the creation of the Comics Code Authority.

Heck, in a story of the Hangman in Pep Comics, a guy gets his head chopped off with an axe.  :o

Naturally, of course... I love these stories.  :D

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2010, 04:15:08 PM »
Fox and Superior crime books could be pretty gore filled as well.
Now I recall getting in trouble for having an issue of 1970 gore filled 'Tales of Voodoo' or something like that.  The violence was so over the top I found it funny but looking back I think the grade 3 teacher I had did the correct thing.

-Yoc

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »
As a mean teen I read and loved those old black and white horror books. They were so much more extreme than the color comics. I had no idea at the time they were GA reprints.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »
I have to admit I wouldn't touch those things with a pair of ice tongs...they were terrible.  Still are.

But if you want gore in your soup, you might try some of Charlie Biro's stuff, particularly CRIME DOES NOT PAY.  Not all of them are grotesque, but some are.

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »
freddy's Wings #21 ctc-ized with JVJ's comic.  Now on FTP for you.

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2010, 02:37:08 AM »
Not quite... ibc is missing.
I've replaced my original with this almost-c2c one (with the page numbering of the cf corrected).
-Len W.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
Thanks guys, you can't get much closer than that to c2c!
:)

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »
Dang -- that'll teach me to try to update late at night.  I have the ibc. I know because it was missing a cut coupon from the back cover and I was searching other Fiction Houses of that era to find the right one.  It was in a month's early Jungle or Jumbo and was ratty so I edited together two of them.  Guess I forgot to insert it into the right folder.  I will check it all tonight and either leave things alone or make the definitive  c2c version.

BTW the centerfold page numbering was right originally and wrong now (or maybe wrong differently now).  The pages are actually numbered in the comic and you can see that the text story page should come before the mail page.  I'll fix that when I add the ibc tonight. No sense getting two more uploads.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:46:48 PM by JonTheScanner »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
Thanks for all the attention this Wings has gotten guys.
Jon, feel free to upload an Ultimate c2c version anytime.

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
It's there now Yoc -- I sure hope it's right finally.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2010, 09:50:48 PM »
Thanks Jon.
I see Geo is here.  I'll let him add this one.
If it's not up tomorrow I'll take care of it.

-Yoc

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2010, 01:09:29 AM »
oops. The fouled-up letters pages was my fault. When I grabbed the no-ibc version there were two page 31s and no 32, so I re-numbered the 2nd one '32' without looking at the actual page #s.

Great to see an admission that ad pages are interchangeable, and that scanners use scans from other issues.
House ads are nice, but nobody should be doing regular ads, but I'm a lone voice in my ad-free wilderness.
-Len W.

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2010, 09:33:36 AM »
oops. The fouled-up letters pages was my fault. When I grabbed the no-ibc version there were two page 31s and no 32, so I re-numbered the 2nd one '32' without looking at the actual page #s.

Great to see an admission that ad pages are interchangeable, and that scanners use scans from other issues.
House ads are nice, but nobody should be doing regular ads, but I'm a lone voice in my ad-free wilderness.

I scan ads in older comics because I think they're interesting and because you can never be quite sure you've got an entire comic if you're missing some pages.  (Other scanners have been known to skip filler items as well.)  I do use ads from contemporary issues if they are identical.  (Believe it or not I even check on those Dept numbers that are often hand-written and can change).  I have a spread sheet that tells me which comics were published which months so I can quickly find contemporary issues.  With older issues it often doesn't pay to go searching as it takes longer to find the other scan than to scan the four ad pages.  If the number of ads gets up to 10 or so, though it's worthwhile.  Also some ads may be on damaged pages -- as in this case -- so then looking for a replacement is a must.

I figure anyone who doesn't want to save ads can easily remove them.  Some scanners scan the ads, but leave them in raw form with no editing.  That is little work and those who want the ads can get them that way.

In any case, Len, thanks for scanning the ads for those of us who do like them.

And glad we got Wings #21 finally straightened out.  :-)

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2010, 09:47:08 AM »
Thanks Jon.
I see Geo is here.  I'll let him add this one.
If it's not up tomorrow I'll take care of it.

-Yoc

Yep, it's up on download site in all it's "c2c" glory. Thanks to freddyfly and JonTheScanner for working so hard on this one to get it "just right", thanks again guys.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
Nicely done boys and thanks for sharing your thoughts and methods on ad pages Jon.
Very interesting!