- +

Author Topic: freddyfly's Uploads  (Read 305104 times)

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: freddyfly's Uploads
« Reply #1110 on: August 06, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
(Does anyone have a way of easily calculating how MANY comics of mine have made it to the site?)

I'm on a very substandard computer, just now, so I can't do what I'd like (copy the table into a spreadsheet and let it count), but a back-of-the-envelope check (searching "JVJ" and multiply the number of new entries per page by the number of pages) gave me just shy of 1,500.  I'd say a word of thanks, but the majority of words floating through my head are at least mildly obscene in awe...

I agree on the naming conventions, by the way, for wha it's worth.  Ideally, I'd prefer a bare name as possible (incomplete, special collection, or something similarly critical to see at a glance) with an included text file documenting the history copied into the comic's description.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #1110 on: August 06, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #1111 on: August 06, 2012, 08:21:35 PM »
Hi Jim,
I'm guesstimating there's just over 1500 JVJ scans on DCM now.
Wish there were an easy way to count them other than using the Search function and going blind counting them.

Numbered versions don't work for me guys.  But I agree the majority of info can be hosted in the description area.  One other thing though is I DO think including if it's has FICHE or is Incomplete should always be mentioned in the file name.  But I don't think including C2C is necessary.  Include it in the description but I've always assumed it's complete unless you read otherwise.  No need to see 1000s of C2C everywhere.

-Yoc

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1112 on: August 08, 2012, 04:51:06 AM »
I like the idea of Not including stuff like 'upgrade' in the title, or even 'now c2c', or 'now with the missing so-and-so page', since as Mike said, it eventually makes no sense, especially to new users. I always put 'c2c', but I can leave it out of the title.

My pet peeve is with phrases like 'paper/fiche', that don't indicate whether it's a couple of fiches, or half the comic.

So.... back to business... something totally new tonight: JoJo 8! (fan777's JoJo9 needs a small fix: it should be named 'Jo-Jo 9' instead of 'Jo Jo 9')
-Len W.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #1113 on: August 08, 2012, 05:01:19 AM »
My pet peeve is with phrases like 'paper/fiche', that don't indicate whether it's a couple of fiches, or half the comic.

When I started downloading, with the obsessive-compulsive fervor of a new organizational project, the hybrid comics weren't common enough to consider, but for incomplete books, I generally did something like -inc58 to show the number of pages that were there (so that better scans, which presumably come later, alphabetize later).  If I had kept to that standard, I'd probably also do something like -fiche18 to show the number of paper pages.  I'm not recommending it, but maybe that'll spark a usable idea.

Because you're right.  "Some fiche" is only a useful description until there's "not so much fiche" out there.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1114 on: August 08, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »
Thanks for the up Len and I "fixed" the problem with the other one naming.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #1115 on: August 08, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »
I've made a point of including how many fiche pages are there in our file names when possible.
The use of Upgrade, etc is because we've got a lot of members checking in and they might say 'bah, I've already got that.'

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1116 on: August 09, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »
Back to upgrades tonight, this time my never-ending Airboy improvements (all were originally bhcomics scans with no ad/text pages):
v6#10 now is c2c paper (instead of fiche-fills). The small gcdb fc is replaced by a better one from eBay (still none at HAG), plus a bc from the same eBay auction, plus camera-images (non-flat) of the ifc+ibc from yet another eBay auction.
V6#12 & v7#4 now have all 48 pages, but still no ifc/ibc/bcs.

And, another Fawcett fiche-replacement: Cap Jr 59 (but with fiche cf)

I removed the old v7#4, but I need your help again to remove the other three. Thx!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:57:21 PM by freddyfly »
-Len W.

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1117 on: August 11, 2012, 01:16:27 AM »
And tonight it's a new c2c Blue Bolt: v4#8;

and 2 more upgrades to complete earlier bhcomics scans, thx to snard's new scans: Jungles 48 & 56.
BUT, I found that my original Jg48 upload is technically gone, since primeUser's upgrade (he added a ibc+bc from another comic) also has seriously-enhanced scans, so I wouldn't even call it a bhcomics scan anymore. I also replaced the fc+bc with HAG versions.

and, enough with the upgrades...  here's a new c2c FH: Jumbo 156!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:25:53 AM by freddyfly »
-Len W.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #1118 on: August 11, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1119 on: August 11, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
JUMBO #156 contains a Sheena story I've been trying to source for ages.  Thanks, Len.

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1120 on: August 12, 2012, 03:38:20 AM »
Oh, well... back to minor upgrades: thx yet again to snard, I've c2c'd my old Jungle 31 upload. (old inc one has been removed!)
-Len W.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1121 on: August 12, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »
Thanks Len for another c2c Jungle.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1122 on: August 12, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
The Olympics are over! Back to normal!
So... my last (for now) Blue (not Usain) Bolt: v3#8 c2c!
-Len W.

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1123 on: August 15, 2012, 02:30:54 AM »
Over to the quality stuff tonight: it's National #45: c2c, and new large scans. You can dump the old, smallish, fuzzy inc one that I upped long ago in a previous life (it was re-upped by primeuser during the Preview-fixes.
-Len W.

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #1124 on: August 15, 2012, 02:40:14 AM »
Thank you for the new National #45 scans, Len. They look great.  >:D