developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Buzzzzzz  (Read 5450 times)

Offline dhfh

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Buzzzzzz
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 08:01:03 AM »
The Moth was a Steve Rude superhero.  And I remember that "grasshopper" guy and I'm sure it was in an issue of B&B.  I can almost see the cover. There's so much rubbish in my memory, it takes a while for answers to pop out.

The Scorpion from Atlas/Seaboard

Hey, don't forget about the Fox Features character called the Moth, who appeared in Mystery Men Comics #9 to #12!

And Marvel had a super villainess named Gypsy Moth.

Also, if you're going to include scorpions as "insects", who can fail to mention the infamous Spider-Man foe of that name, premering in Amazing Spider-Man #20?

DHFH

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 08:01:03 AM »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 03:55:14 PM »
Since I feel the need to be extra obscure (plus, just about everything else that comes to mind is rather taken), Warren ran a few stories about "The Gray Grasshopper" near the end of their run.

And neither probably quite counts, but there are at least two more Human Flies.  One was a real-world stuntman who got a Marvel series adapting him as a quasi-super-agent kind of guy.  The other was the "cover name" of the IW Blue Beetle reprints.

Plus a bunch of non-silver Scarabs, like Nedor's, the Fox Blue Beetle opponent, the Captain America serial villain.  And I feel like there were a bunch of Roach-named characters once the Tick hit it big.

Oh, and the rather on-the-nose Bug-Eyed Bandit.

There'd also be a smattering of worms, too.  Hey, if scorpions count (and if they do, I think it's AC's Scarlet and Timely's Silver, and I think a couple of others...including one from Harvey, no?)

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 02:04:34 AM »
Yes Darkmark.  And Hellgramite Was His Name, rings a bell.  But wasn't he just a big, daft grasshopper look-a-like?  This is a bit silly, but good fun.
JohnC, what a great list.  I find myself chasing round trying to find visual refs. for all thes characters.  Love the idea of worms.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline phabox (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 04:45:57 AM »
so how about Snakes ? now having many heroic qualities they seem to be more the domain of villians, in fact at one time Marvel had enouth to make up a whole 'Serpent Squad' -Cobra, The Eel, Princess Python and the Viper ( former Madam Hydra) made up most of the membership.

Seem to remember a few 'Copperheads' one from Brave and the Bold, one from Marvels' Daredevil and maybe even an old serial hero.

Anyone think of a few more ?

-Nigel

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 06:19:37 AM »
OOOhh! snakes. The Copperhead appeared in an Italian comic version of Mysterious Dr. Satan - 3 issues.
And we had King Cobra, who had a long run in Hotspur in the 70's, with some stories drawn by Ron Smith.
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae289/masquerouge/KC001094.jpg
An Italian villain, originally named Sadik, when reprinted in France, was called Cobra, then Naja (French for cobra)  Don't ask me why.  Haven't a scooby.
The Black Cobra appeared in a 1/2 page ad. in Atom, Robot Adventurer (Pulp MediaPubs.) 1976 and was described as, "In the style of The Spider".  I leave the rest to your imagination.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Sssss
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
 "Cobra" was nearly as ubiquitous a villain name as "The Brain." Offhand, I can recall Magno and Davey, the Flash, Thor (and other Marvel characters), Captain America (golden age version), and some masked gunfighter (they all tend to look alike to me) all tangling with villains named The Cobra, and I believe the silver age Batman also faced a King Cobra if memory serves. If I can think of that many different cobras, I'm sure there were at least a few more.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
And back to insects.  I was racking my brains cos I'd mentioned a South American Fly like character and it was El Hombre Mosca (the Fly Man).  Thing is the info. I found on him says he's Mexican, so it's only luck I got there.
Stephen Montgomery