developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: "real" MARVELMAN reprints from Marvel in July  (Read 3055 times)

Offline DennyWilson

• DCM Member
"real" MARVELMAN reprints from Marvel in July
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
MARVELMAN CLASSIC VOL. 1 PREMIERE HC
Written by MICK ANGLO & VARIOUS
Penciled by MICK ANGLO & VARIOUS
Covers by MICK ANGLO & JOE QUESADA
Who is the mysterious Marvelman? If you only know him from his dark, deconstructionist eighties revival, then you don’t know Marvelman! Go back to the very beginning — 1954’s MARVELMAN #25 — and witness firsthand the earliest atomic-powered adventures of the mightiest man in the universe...the fearless fighter of evil know as Marvelman! Collecting material from MARVELMAN #25-34 in the original black-and-white..
160 PGS./Black & White/All Ages ...$34.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4375-8
Trim size: standard

MARVELMAN FAMILY'S FINEST #1 (of 6)Written by MICK ANGLO & VARIOUS
Penciled by MICK ANGLO & VARIOUS
Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
Remastered Variant Cover by MICK ANGLO
Variant Cover by DOUG BRAITHWAITE
“A recluse Astro-Scientist discovers the key word to the Universe, one that can only be given to a Boy who is completely honest, studious, and of such integrity that he would only use it for the powers of good. He finds such a Boy in MICKY MORAN, a Newspaper Copy Boy, and treats him in a special machine which enables him to use the secret. Just before the Scientist dies, he tells MICKY the key word which is KIMOTA. Micky Moran remains as he was, but when he says the Key Word KIMOTA he becomes MARVELMAN, a man of such strength and powers that he is Invincible and Indestructible!” And with those words in 1954’s MARVELMAN #25 began the saga of one of the most storied characters ever to emerge from the British comics market. Now, thrill to the adventures of Marvelman, Young Marvelman and Kid Marvelman as they take on enemy agents, mad scientists and more in this “best of” series!
40 PGS./Black & White/All Ages ...$3.99

Digital Comic Museum

"real" MARVELMAN reprints from Marvel in July
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: "real" MARVELMAN reprints from Marvel in July
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:01:13 AM »
As Denny has put this here as well, I'll make roughly the same response.  This is the REAL Marvelman, the one I grew up with and I'll buy these books.  I have a reasonable selection of these comics but as it came out weekly for years, there are a lot of them.  I only have 2 Family issues and an annual, so being able to have the run in original b&w is exciting.  The Eclipse issues had been coloured, taking away that lovely emptiness - a bit like listening to an early power trio where there's nothing between the guitar and bass except a cymbal.  Well, that's how my mind works.  What's not to like about all this except perhaps the price. Added incentive,some of the stories were done by the mighty Don Lawrence.  What a pity so few will buy this. Not enough big guns, violence and kid-on emotion, I suppose.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:07:28 AM »
I'm curious if Marvel has acquired the rights to anything but the original version of Marvelman--the poster that they put out to celebrate the deal also featured the pre-Warrior Magazine design of the character.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:50:17 AM »
Interesting point, comicsnorth. I'm probably at the coo's tail with this as there's a fair chance you've all already read this:-

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=567

Years ago I had a lot to do with Alan and found him to be an honest, fair, extremely talented man who kept his promises and was always happy to help and although I may be biased here, I have to believe his version of events.  So the point about what rights Marvel have, or should have, given what is said in the letter, looms large.  Any insights gratefully received.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »
I would have to look for the reference, but as I understand it Alan Moore is willing to let Marvel reprint his material.  He may request his name be left off it, however; or at least not used to promote it.  (I should look for the article.)  If I recall correctly, Moore wants his share of payments to go to Mick Angelo.  I also believe both Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham are good with doing more stuff.  So we're down to the artists from the Alan Moore issues; I don't recall hearing anything recent on their attitude towards reprints.  Just as a guess, Alan Davis works regularly with Marvel and would probably be good with it.  I don't think Rick Veitch has any problems with Marvel right now; if ever.  (I know he had problems with DC for years that have been resolved for a while.)  I don't know how Chuck Austin feels about Marvel at the moment.  I don't recall Totelben (sp?) ever doing anything with Marvel or having issues with reprints.  I believe Garry Leach is not particularly interested in letting people reprint his stuff, however; and he did a lot of key material.  In particular, I think he owns (or co-owns) the Warpsmiths; which are fairly key to the story.

I am looking forward to the classic reprints; they will be interesting to see.  And hoping for reprints of the later material; I sold most of my original issues to pay rent a few years ago.  (I do still have most of the Warrior issues, though!)

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:03:25 AM »
I dug out the Marvelman special from Quality to remind myself how good the Alan Davis framing pages were for the reprints.  I wasn't disappointed.  Plus, there's the Ian Gibson drawn Big Ben, the Man  with no Time for Crime.  And Don Lawrence did the Family story.  Great stuff.
I just don't want to go back to the perverted later stories.  Yuck.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
For what it's worth, Paw, I'd believe the Davis version of the story, as well.  It's rare for him to speak out on anything, and what he said in his letter reflects what I understand about British law.  (I also love a lot of his work--very clean and expressive.)

I've learned that licensing contracts often assign "whatever rights, if any" to whoever pays the money.  So such contracts really should be taken with a grain of salt when signed.  But hey, what does Marvel care, right?

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:48:15 AM »
Right!
Stephen Montgomery