- +

Author Topic: Bimfort == Youthful?  (Read 2927 times)

Offline archiver_USA

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Bimfort == Youthful?
« on: April 17, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
I was looking at the indicia of Jack the Giant-Killer and realized that this is very likely part of the Friedman/Youthful Magazines group.

The editorial address is the same as that of Attack #4:
105 East 35th Street, New York 16, N.Y.

Which you could attribute to being a coincidence; large building in NY etc. However, the subscription addresses also match:
Box 140, Murray Hill Station, New York 16, N.Y.
(Jack the Giant-Killer also lists the printer's address for subscriptions).

Two companies could be located in the same building, but what are the odds that two unrelated companies are going to share the same PO Box for subscriptions?

Digital Comic Museum

Bimfort == Youthful?
« on: April 17, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Bimfort == Youthful?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »
I am sure the comic historians in the group are going to jump all over this information.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:31:05 PM »
actually guys,
I'm lucky to tackle ONE mystery at any one time.

(|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline mmiichael

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:38:41 PM »

Bimfort's JACK THE GIANT KILLER was a one off effort from a company that put out something else - forget what now.  Note the distributor was Kable while Youthful was strictly a front operation of Leader News.

If memory serves the addresses provided were mailing drop offs rather than publishing offices.

MF

Offline archiver_USA

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:28:23 AM »
But Stamps Comics wasn't using the same distributor as the other Youthful Magazine books either... and it had the same editorial address (however, a different PO Box number, but still used the Murray Hill Station for subscriptions).

And doesn't the Friedman companies have a history of producing one-offs for third-parties? Swat Malone comes to mind... I think it was produced at the same time as the Premier line, but it was distributed outside of that line making it another "odd duck" book.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 08:05:30 AM »
Hm.  As the token New Yorker (not in the city sense), that strikes me as...well, conspicuously suspicious, but for other reasons.

Fifty to a hundred years ago, Murray Hill wasn't exactly the spot you went to for shady business, or even business at all.  It was one of the serious upper-crust neighborhoods, and almost purely residential.

So in my eyes, the question is who would be picking up those subscriptions, because someone working in comics was probably NOT going to blend in (and who knows, possibly arrested for loitering), and anybody who could blend in probably wasn't going to be the errand boy.