- +

Author Topic: Builderboy's uploads  (Read 45701 times)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
Re: Builderboy's uploads
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2010, 03:20:29 PM »
Boy, this thread had gotten so dusty, I got the red warning blurb across the top! But....I'm BACK ;D

After much time spent reconstructing things over at GAC (not done yet...but we would be NOWHERE as far along without DCM's gracious help), I have finally gotten back to some scanning, for fear that JVJ would despair of my ever completing my job on his first box to me.

This one is Fiction House's Jumbo Comics #090.  No color restoration (which will please many here mightily, but I will perform after scanning of my box is done), but it is c2c, and I did take time to edit out the defects from what looks like a screwdriver which had been pushed through the entire book. See if you can tell where!

Don't fret, Jim! I got me a new scanner...an 11x17 with fast action so I can cook along now!

Hope you enjoy

I'm not fretting, but it is a bit off-putting just how long it seems to be taking EVERYBODY to scan my books. I had sort of envisioned two to four batches per scanner per year. Real life strikes again.

"One day at a time: The Speed of Life."

Peace, Jim *<|:{>

Happy New Year everybody...!
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2010, 03:20:29 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »
I wish I could help Jim but life is complicated isn't it?
Thanks for the review BB.  I think it might make a good topic on it's own so I'm splitting it off.

-Yoc

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Indeed. C'est la vie, eh?

All the best for 2011.

Peace, Jim *<|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »
A bit late, but worthy of a shout:  A pair of JVJ books, both sweet Fiction House jungle action, Jumbo Comics #'s 71 & 73.  No color restoration on either (for now...).  Really nice copies to work with, thanks JVJ!  This, an oasis of release in the midst of my scanning siege for Jim. 

Hope you like 'em...much, much more to come.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2011, 10:16:28 AM »
Thanks BB and I'm always here for any help you might need with edits, joins or corrections if you needed it.

-Yoc

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2011, 05:31:39 AM »
I'll have some coming your way shortly, Yoc.  I hope this weekend gives me a chance to send one your way.

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 07:16:42 AM »
Interesting....I just tried a quick experiment.  DCM's new preview feature and the thumbnail on the 'new uploads' page only work on cbz files, and seems to have problems with cbr's.  I love the feature, and so tried to see if I could download a 'problem' file, recompile it and re-up it.

I did so with Treasure Chest v08 004.  It was a cbr with some junk in it, doubtless for a Mac zip compiler.  I dumped the files and created a new cbz.

The product was semi-successful.  The file is now viewable in the preview feature, but interestingly, when looking at the first page, it reports it on the header as 'page 0 of 35'.  All 36 images are visible, just numbered 0 - 35, rather than 1 - 36.  Is this the reason that a thumbnail fails to appear on the 'Newest Comics' page?

AH!  Before I could even post this, the problem fixed itself. Now a thumbnail is there.

BTW...my opinion only...I LOVE the format of the 'Newest Comics' page, and wish all pages were like that. I understand that render some titles that have over a hundred issues to be pages and pages of listings.  But wouldn't it make finding the one you want 100% easier?  Or alternately, how about a view that was like GCD's cover galleries? Then you could click on an image of cover and go to that issues' download page?

If it isn't an inconvenience on the admin end (cleaning out the older, non-preview compliant versions), I wouldn't be adverse to re-compiling & re-upping files when I encounter them. This way, you would eventually head toward having a site where the features work for all the offerings.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
Hi BB,
Thanks for pointing out CBR files are not uploading properly.  We will look into this.  Normal RAR files with jpg files do work and the preview and thumbnails are fine.  
Any scans with 'jpeg' file names will NOT work this is why the Star Ranger 1 cover fails to load.  A clue that a file is a cbr inside a cbz will show 'no cover yet' in the thumbnail.

CaptDJ is the code guru for DCM.  He tried adding the covers to the titles pages for each comic title and it didn't look good and took a long time to load as we show 100 titles per page.  It was decided to show the covers in the latest uploads, ratings and download sections.  We think it's easier to navigate, faster and less eyestrain.  A cover gallery only might be an idea for down the road.
There are still some bugs with the cover thumbnails.  One being once a file is added one cannot easily change it unless you are an administrator or remove and re-add the file with any problems fixed.  One common error is a cbr file renamed to cbz.  I was guilty of doing this with many of my uploads when the upload feature was refusing to add cbr files.  On my system just renaming the file had no effect on CDisplay.  Sadly it does wreck the preview feature.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.
-Yoc

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
thanks for the reply, Yoc.  I hadn't consider loading time for a page with all the associated graphics.  I did have one more question, tho.

Now that you have the automatic cover thumbnail, do you still need the 'add a cover thumbnail' feature in the file upload page?  Should we put one there?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
Hi BB,
Sure, feel free if you like.  Some like Len like to include splash pages from interior pages as well.
The AutoCoverThumb is smaller than the old manual one as well.  But it's entirely up to the uploader.
I was always encouraging people to include them as they look so darn cool, now if all goes right it's automatic and between it and the Preview feature CaptDJ has done himself proud and made DCM so much better than it once was!

-Yoc

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 05:39:13 AM »
I will post here what I had posted over at GAC...I just scored a copy of Jo-Jo #24!  Once I get JVJ's stuff completed (so close to being done!), I will post this Jack Kamen beauty. Very exciting stuff!

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »
We will be on the lookout for it Builder, thanks in advance.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2011, 10:47:22 AM »
Sounds great BB, looking forward to all of them!
:)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »
Now up from JVJ+BuilderBoy (with minor edits by me) is a rare one -
Movie Comics #2 [Feb'47]-52pg-c2c     -JVJ+BuilderBoy
Featuring Bob Lubbers and tasty Matt Baker!

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »
...and MORE Matt Baker, now up: Jumbo Comics #087.  Something for everyone; some color-restored stories, and some left in the raw (raw-ish...I did tweak levels, crop, and clean).

Hope you like...