- +

Author Topic: OtherEric's Uploads  (Read 54022 times)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: OtherEric's Uploads
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
And I had been holding off on these hoping to keep attention away from the fact the seller was going to bring a few more to auction.  But, since I lost on the 50 and 58 tonight (which went for $425 the pair); I figure there's no reason to keep these hidden any longer.

Peter Wheat News 60 and 63 ready for download.  You will note these are only the 7th and 8th issues we've been able to get in the 6 years I've been looking; and 2 of the ones we have are just the comic pages.  So very rare stuff I'm quite happy to share.  And we now have the start and finish of the story in 61-63; maybe sometime this decade we'll get at least one complete story!

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #226 on: August 25, 2014, 08:45:41 AM »
Congrats on getting these two issues Eric.
Thanks for all your efforts to bring this series to the public.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #227 on: September 06, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »
Super Animals 3D from Star is now ready for download, so break out those red/blue glasses!  This is one of the 3 3-D comics from the 50's that Gerber has at an 8 scarcity, to go along with the Space Kat-ets we got a few weeks ago.  Now to start scanning the Peter Cottontail...

If anybody wants to have a go at the raw scans, to either clean them up better or to create a 2-D B&W version, please let me know and I'll get them to you.  Everybody else, enjoy!

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #228 on: September 07, 2014, 12:31:45 AM »
Thanks Eric for that gem, alway nice to be able to see such scarce material.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #229 on: September 07, 2014, 09:10:46 AM »
Congrats on this one Eric, very nice!

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »
Here comes Peter Cottontail, hopping down the bunny trail!

Peter Cottontail 3D now available for download.  And with it we have all three of the 3-D books Gerber has tagged at 8 scarcity.

As with the Super Animals, raw scans are available upon request if somebody wants a go at improving them.  The book itself was reprinted as Peter Cottontail 2 in non-3D, so it would probably be easier to get that than create a 2-D version.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »
Thanks Eric. We now have most of those rare books?

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2014, 02:06:25 AM »
We now have most of those rare books?

OK, in terms of 3-D books:

There were only 48 3-D newsstand comics during the 50's boom, plus 2 books that had 1 story in 3-D you needed to get the glasses from elsewhere on.  This doesn't count giveaways, which are pretty much the Disney Cheerios ones we can't use or reprints of newsstand books.

There are 12 3-D books of the 48 we can't host here: 2 EC, 2 DC, 2 Atlas, 3 Mighty Mouse, 1 Katy Keene, 1 Sad Sack,  and 1 Felix.  We also had to remove one story from 3-D Dolly.

There were 3 3-D books that Gerber marked as 8; all 3 are useable here and we now have all 3.

There are 17 books Gerber had tagged as 7's; we can't use all of those and we're missing several.  While the three books Gerber had as 8's all seem to be pretty scarce, some of the books he had tagged as 7's are way off base, possibly closer to 5's.  Some of them really are that scarce, though.

Overstreet only lists one 3-D book as "scarce", First Christmas, Gerber has that as a 7.  I've got a copy and it will be forthcoming fairly soon.  The only really hard to find 3-D book I think we'll be missing after that would be Animal Fun; although a few others aren't exactly common that's the only one that looks to me to be a real problem left. 

So, yeah.  We've got most (but not all) of the harder 3-D books we can use here now either scanned or on the way soon.

Probably more of an answer than you wanted, as you can tell it's a bit of pet project at the moment for me!

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2014, 12:09:58 AM »
And, as I mentioned when I posted those last two issues of Peter Wheat News, somebody else had gotten into the bidding and I wasn't able to get some other issues they posted.  That's the bad news.

The good news?  They were generous with photos with their listings, so there was enough material to post the books in readable form.  Yoc has done a heroic job on the images, and while both of us hold out hope for real scans the books are so rare I'm overjoyed to be able to share them with everybody.  A HUGE thank you to Yoc for his editing efforts, and I'm elated that we have as much to share as we do from this incredibly elusive title. 

We actually now have 4 arcs where we have 2 of the 3 issues; I actually have hope we may have at least one complete story at some point in my lifetime.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
Hi Eric,
Happy to be of service on this noble project you have spearheaded.  Fingers crossed we see more listings like these.  Good luck on any future auctions.

-Yoc

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
Hey gang,
Eric here has upgraded Peter Wheat News #29 with the missing cover and ad pages to complete the issue.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=14598

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »
And the great Peter Wheat quest marches on.  Today I have Adventures of Peter Wheat #48 for everybody to enjoy; one of the Hubbard issues.

Although I don't necessarily have scans good enough to post even as placeholders at the GCD, this is the last issue from 1-64 I had never seen a cover for before now. I still have never seen the covers to 65 and 66, and at this point I'm assuming that contrary to what various guides say that they simply don't actually exist.  I do have proof that News made it to 66, and no reason to suspect that it made it past that.  So at this point I think the actual runs were 1-64 for Adventures and 1-66 for News; I feel about 95% sure on both.  And allowing for the fact I want to upgrade 10, 14, and 19; only 23 issues of Adventures to go.  Progress is being made even if it's slowing down.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
Thanks Eric!
Good luck on your noble quest.
:)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »
Two more Peter Wheat News issues for everybody today.  I only got the comic pages, although I was able to find a low-quality source for the cover on one of the issues, #26.  The other issue has to be either 47 or 65, unless I'm wrong and the series ran past #66.  Given that the 4 issues that the seller had were 24 (which I lost), 26, 63 (which I already had), and the unknown one, I'm leaning towards the 65; but it's not a very strong lean.  Strong enough to list it first as the two possible numbers, though.

Anyway, 2 very rare books, one of them with 4 pages of amazing Walt Kelly art.  Enjoy!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
Many thanks Eric!