- +

Author Topic: Wanted: Peter Wheat  (Read 4541 times)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Wanted: Peter Wheat
« on: April 15, 2010, 08:50:48 PM »
I've asked before just about anywhere I could find, so I'll mention it here as well:  If you ever see any Peter Wheat material we don't have here, let me know.  I can check eBay and Heritage regularly, but I can't chase down all the stores- and not all of them are online.  The books are insanely rare and have classic Walt Kelly material.  (Or, in later issues, charming Al Hubbard material.)  So let me know if you see anything anywhere, please!  And if you happen to have anything of your own, PLEASE scan it and share it!

Almost all of the material currently online is from my collection; it's been popping up in interesting places.  Several issues have been converted to PDF and shared on a home schooling aid giveaway site, which I am incredibly gratified by.  It's wonderful to see the material being shared in areas we never would have expected!

Digital Comic Museum

Wanted: Peter Wheat
« on: April 15, 2010, 08:50:48 PM »

Ger Apeldoorn

Re: Wanted: Peter Wheat
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:51:37 AM »
I am certainly looking ot for them, but I wouldn't want to drive the price up if we are both bissing. So let's return here if we see one on ebay.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:19:17 AM »
Welcome to the site Ger.
You should know a few names here.
:)

Offline GasolineAlley

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »
OtherEric,

I'm the one that has been posting the Peter Wheats to HomeschoolFreebieOfTheDay.com... I'm glad to know who is responsible for these scans -- Thanks so much for making them available! I have enjoyed those ever since Don & Maggie Thompson did an article on them in TBG back in the early 80s, and then Maggie sent me a couple extra photocopied stories shortly thereafter. They are wonderful and just a perfect introduction to comics today for our readers. Can't tell you how many positive comments we've had on those.

As long as I'm at it, any suggestions for other wholesome but entertaining titles that would be enjoyed by kids today? I'm looking at the Fairy Tale Parades at the moment...

Jim E
aka GasolineAlley

Offline GasolineAlley

• DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
OtherEric,

I just found the b&w photocopies of the Peter Wheats that Maggie Thompson sent me way back when... they are issues #1 and #2.  Do you need those?

GasolineAlley

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »
I have b&w copies of 1 and 2, but thank you for the kind offer.  (I hope to have some news on one of those issues soon; but don't want to commit myself quite yet.)  I really should try and contact Maggie Thompson; she seems to be the leading Peter Wheat fan out there!

Fairy Tale Parade has a lot of good stories but I think you would want to check them carefully, on a story by story basis, before posting those.  Some of them have not aged well, to put it mildly.  You might try running some of the non-Pogo Kelly material from Animal Comics, as well.  We've checked that the early Pogo stories were not renwed pretty carefully, but you may not want to invite trouble by posting those.  There are also several other Kelly books including the various Mother Goose titles out there that are usable.  I'm not trying to focus on Kelly alone; it's just that his material is what comes to mind the easiest as stuff that's still suitable for kids, has aged well, and is public domain.

Hello, Ger!  Good to see you here.  If issues pop up on eBay I'll make sure to mention them here; I do check that particular listing several times a day.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:18:49 PM »
Thom just posted an incomplete copy of Adventures of Peter Wheat #10 over at

http://whirledofkelly.blogspot.com/

which I'll post here when I get home from work tonight.  I just wanted to thank Yoc and Thom for their wonderful clean-up work on what was a horribly beat-up copy, and encourage people to give the Whirled of Kelly blog a look if they're fans of Kelly.  A great place.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
Thanks Eric, happy to save another obscure but not so forgotten these days work by a personal favourite of mine - Walt Kelly.

Thanks for sharing them.
:D

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »
A quick question for the GCD experts out there:  While in most cases the bakery name is same on my copy as the GCD copy (not least because well over half the scans are mine), there are a few issues where I have a different one.  Would it be appropriate to upload the alternate covers; or would that be too fine a difference to justify a separate posting?  In most cases the bakery name is printed on; although I've seen both blank issues and stamped bakery names on a few examples.

And in good news for my fellow Kelly fans, I've got three issues waiting for a chance to debut on the Whirled of Kelly blog before posting here.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 10:20:26 AM »
Eric that is one of those debated issues like Buster Brown Comics with different shoe companies. I am not sure there was any agreement last time I will check and let you know. Already got an answer and yes they are considered variants and should be uploaded
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:59:50 AM by narfstar »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 02:23:34 PM »
Thanks, Narf.  I'll do that later today, then.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 04:34:58 AM »
Since I told Ger I would mention it here...

A copy of Peter Wheat #50 just popped up on eBay; I've got a bid of roughly 2x guide already posted.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »
GL on #50 Eric!

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »
We are pulling for you. Of course we know if you win we all win  :D

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
As long as I'm at it, any suggestions for other wholesome but entertaining titles that would be enjoyed by kids today? I'm looking at the Fairy Tale Parades at the moment...
Jim E
aka GasolineAlley

I don't know if they would grab kids today, but I think Quality Comics' The Barker comics (with art by Nordling) are appropriate for both kids and adults. The carnival crew includes a circus fat lady and a midget, but they are handled with respect and zero mockery, and that is really something considering they were from over 60 years ago.  Plus the stories always have a Mystery edge, which may make them closer to the Harry Potter universe than pure fairy tales are (and thus provide a bridge from the present to the past).