General Category > Comic Related Discussion

Most Underappreciated comic?

(1/3) > >>

KnightRandom:
What good comic do you think doesn't get enough appreciation?  I'm getting to be a big fan of the ACG horror books.  Even in the pre-code days they had an entertainingly oddball quality to them.  (I haven't read a lot of the post-code ACG stuff yet, Herbie's debut aside.)  Richard Hughes's stories had a bunch of memorably loopy high concepts.  Adventures into the Unknown #26, for instance, had a story about werewolves who eat the spirits of the dead and another with a ghost that was itself haunted by a creature from the 5th Dimension.  They also had some underrated artists like King Ward and Edvard Moritz (who drew some wonderfully moody covers for the early issues of Adventures into the Unknown).  And of course there were a handful of really beautiful stories by Al Williamson and/or Frank Frazetta.  (Am I the only one who likes Frazetta's comic book work better than his fantasy art?)

Ami_GFX:
One I've discovered recently is Al Walker's Norge Benson from Planet Comics 12-22. The art is just gorgeous and the stories are hilarious. The artists that succeded Walker never quite got the feel for it the way Walker did.

narfstar:
Boody Roger's Sparky Watts is appreciated, and for those who do I suggest the quicky Jim Dandy from Lev Gleason/Comic House

Yoc:
I started a topic much like this back on GAC - 'You Gotta See This - recommended scans on DCM'
Here's my first post from it -
Hi Gang,
I was thinking today 'I bet there is a TON of fantastic scans on this site I'd never even think to check out for whatever reason.'
There should be a thread for people to point out particular favourites - artist, writers, covers, characters, anything!

Only rule - the scans have to be on DCM already - and please post a link if you know how or list the title and publisher.
So EVERYONE - PLEASE, if you've found anything on DCM that excites you enough to say 'Wow, this is great!' please post a message about it.  DCM has so many scans now we can't possibly know everything that is on the site.  I know I sure don't!

Cases in point - OtherEric's Peter Wheat books with lovely Walt Kelly art. There's also the great Basil Wolverton work in Black Diamond Western doing BingBang Buster.

I found one earlier today I didn't know about - that's coming up next!

-Yoc
Idea monkey

Yoc:
My next recommendation -
I don't know about you guys but I grew up drooling over Dan DeCarlo's Betty and Veronica.

I was thrilled to learn not that long ago he did work for other publishers as well using his trademark style.

Today, I discovered his 'Yardbirds' and later 'Wendy the WAF' for Ziff Davis' "GI JOE".

The features appear between GI Joe v1 010 to GI Joe v2 09

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version