Help and Support > Links and References

ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive

(1/1)

ahaarchive:
Hello

I'd like to introduce you all to a project I've been working on for the past several years... The ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive. The International Animated Film Society, ASIFA-Hollywood is a 501(c)(3) non-profit arts organization chartered nearly 40 years ago. ASIFA is the largest and most influential worldwide organization of animators with dozens of chapters all over the world.

More about ASIFA-Hollywood
http://www.asifa-hollywood.org/2007/05/about-asifa-hollywood.html

The ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive is a project to build a museum, library and archive dedicated to the use of animators, cartoonists, illustrators, students and researchers. We have a facility in Burbank, CA where volunteers are at work every day building a digital database of images, videos, filmographic data and biographical information. At this point, our database contains over 80,000 high resolution scans, 5,000 digitized animated films and over 1000 artists biographies. Since we are set up to serve artists, our collection includes more than just animation related material... We have extensive collections of illustration, newspaper comics, comic books, art instructional material and cartooning going back over 100 years. It's a pretty amazing resource, and it grows a little bit every day. Our goal is to create a central server that feeds our database out to satellite work stations at museums, university libraries and public institutions all over the world.

More about the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive
http://www.animationarchive.org/2008/08/about-asifa-hollywood-animation-archive_09.html

At present, our collection of digitized comic books is quite large, but by no means complete. We are looking for volunteers to curate, digitize and catalog our collection. Since we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization, we have the ability to legally digitize any material of educational interest- not just public domain material. We can also publish excerpts from our collection on the web if it is accompanied by critical or educational commentary on the work being presented.

We are always looking for volunteers to help us with our project and expand our ability to get the word out on the rich history of cartooning. If anyone reading this is interested, feel free to drop me a line at sworth@animationarchive.org.

I'll be going through our collection and determining what material might be suitable for contributing to the DCM collection. If someone would like to contact me to help me figure out what would fall under your guidelines, I'd appreciate it. As a non-profit educational group, we don't normally need to worry about what is public domain and what is under copyright, so I don't have a lot of experience in that area.

I look forward to participating here.

Thanks!
Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version