- +

Author Topic: IW Comics Listings - updated April 17, 2022  (Read 52237 times)

jrvandore

Re: IW Comics Listings - updated Dec. 27, 2011
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
Another identification, this times thanks to Heritage Auctions.  IW/Super's Little Eva #10 & 14 are St. John's Little Eva #3.

Jim

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=817&lotNo=6361

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »

jrvandore

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
Ger Apeldoorn indexed Avon's US Tank Commandos #1 for the GCD, which negated one of our IDs.  IW/Super's US Tank Commandos #1 is in search of a new source.  I'm pretty sure it is Avon's US Tank Commandos #4, but it would be nice to get confirmation.

Jim

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
I don't know what's in the I.W. issue, Jim,
but I own all four of the Avon issues. Ask me a question.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

jrvandore

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2012, 07:39:51 AM »
I'm hoping Avon's US Tank Commandos #4 has these stories:

Hell in Combat (7 pp.)
Break Through (6 pp.)
Boogie-Woogie Bugler of Death (2 pp., text)
Meeting Under Fire (6 pp.)
Road Back to Seoul (6 pp.)

Does it?

Jim

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2012, 11:27:50 AM »
Yes, indeed, Jim.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
I've updated with the latest info.
Thanks Jim and Jim.  :)

jrvandore

Re: IW Comics Listings - updated Aug 25, 2012
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »
And thanks to Jim and Yoc.

jrvandore

« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »
A very minor change to the list of unidentified:  Famous Funnies 18 and Space Comics 8 cannot have Funny Tunes as their source, since all of those are now indexed at the GCD and don't match.  My current guess is they come from Avon's Space Comics or perhaps Avon's Space Mouse.

Jim

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2012, 12:01:47 PM »
Updated

jrvandore

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
Three more IDs

Pee Wee Pixies 1                               Pixies (ME) #3
Pee Wee Pixies 8                               Pixies (ME) #4
Pee Wee Pixies 10                       X     Pixies (ME) #4

Jim

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
Tnx, updated.

Offline WiscPackRat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »
I was always interested in the indexing of comic books, as was my buddy Mike Tiefenbacher when we first met in the early '70s. Among our projects i was intrigued by the IW-SUPER comics line, which had to be one of the great mysteries of comic history. I spent a lot of time going over these books and trying to uncover what I could.

Mike once said he had seen them distributed in plastic bags and sold in secondary outlets -- book shops, resale shops, etc. In going over the entries of this fascinating discussion, I saw a mention of the posta requirements being suggested as why there were so many 1#'s. That could not be. These book were never sold as subscriptions, and never went through the mail. To do so, they would have had to publish an annual statement of ownership and circulation, and there never were any.

In trying to break down when the books came out, the earliest ones were dated 1958, and later ones were dated 1963 and 1964. But to understand the order that was used in publishing the comics, you have to ignore the numbers and look at the indicias on the inside front cover. Here is an analysis I did back in August of 1980 that appeared in APA-I...

IW-Super Comics Indicias
One of the great mysteries of the IW/SUPER COMICS line has always been its numbering. How could you figure out what is going on when BLAZING SIX-GUNS has #1,8-12 and 15-18? And ROBIN HOOD goes #1,2,9-11,15,17? And STRANGE WORLDS only has a #5! In an effort to understand, I have broken down part of the comics by the indicia on the inside front cover of each. In doing this, the numbering, especially the SUPER issues, makes a little sense.

ONE TYPE A: "... is published by I.W. Enterprises, Inc., 521 Fifth Ave., New York 17, N.Y. ... Reprinted in U.S.A. Copyright 1958 by I.W. Enterprises, Inc."  This appeared in #1 (KID KOKO), #2's (LITTLE EVA, KRAZY KROW), and some books in both #1 and #2 (SUPER BRAT, SUPER RABBIT, WACKY DUCK).
TWO TYPE B: "... is published by I.W. Enterprises, Inc., 521 Fifth Ave., New York 17, N.Y. ... Reprinted in U.S.A." The copyright date was taken off, otherwise this is the same as indicia type A. This was in more #1's (APACHE, COWBOYS N' INJUNS, INDIAN BRAVES, MAN O'MARS), more books with both #1 and #2 (THE BRAIN, GREAT WESTERN, RED MASK, ROBIN HOOD) a #2 (SHARPY FOX) and a #3 (LITTLE EVA)
THREE TYPE C: "... is published by I.W. Enterprises, Inc., 20 E. 46th St., New York 17, N.Y. ... Reprinted in U.S.A." The address is different in this batch. This is in a further #1's (BUCCANEER, FANTASTIC TALES, HUMAN FLY, SPACE MYSTERIES, TOP JUNGLE, WILD WESTERN ROUNDUP), a couple more with a #1 and a #2 (MUGGSY MOUSE, SILVER KID WESTERN) another #2 (UNDERSEA COMMANDOS), a #3 (THE BRAIN), and both of the books that only published a #5 (SENSATIONAL POLICE CASES, STRANGE WOLDS).
FOUR TYPE D: "... is published by I.W. Enterprises, Inc., 62 West 47th Street, Room 206, New York 36, N.Y. ... Reprinted in U.S.A." Another new address. This indicia had the last of the #1's, all of the #7's and some of the #8's. #1's with this were (DYNAMIC COMICS, FIGHTING DANIEL BOONE, GREAT ACTION, KAANGA, SPACE DETECTIVE, STRANGE PLANETS, U.S. PARATROOPS, U.S. TANK COMMANDOS, WILD BILL HICKOK), one book with a #1 and a #2 (EERIE), a single #2 (TOP ADVENTURE), one with a #1 and a #7 (LITTLE EVA), more #7's (COWBOYS N'INJUNS, WACKY WOODPECKER), and plenty of the #8's (BLAZING SIX-GUNS, BUCCANEERS, DREAM OF LOVE, FIREHAIR, LOVE AND MARRAIGE, TEEN AGE TALK, TOM TOM THE JUNGLE BOY, WAMBI, ZIGGY PIG).
FIVE TYPE E: "... is published by I.W. Enterprises, Inc., 62 West 47th Street, Room 206, New York 36, N.Y. ... Reprinted in U.S.A. by the Eastern Color Printing Co., Waterbury 20, Conn." The same address, but the added the name of the printer. This was in the rest of the #8's and all of the #9's. These were the #8's (PURPLE CLAW, RED MASK, SPACE COMICS, U.S. TANK COMMANDOS). One book with a #8 and a #9 was (DYNAMIC ADVENTURES). The #9's were (DARING ADVENTURES, JUNGLE COMICS, ROBIN HOOD, SPACE MYSTERIES, TEEN AGE TALK, REALISTIC ROMANCES, TELL IT TO THE MARINES, TOP DETECTIVE, U.S. FIAGHTING AIR FORCE, GREAT WESTERN).
SIX TYPE F: "... is published by Super Comics, Inc. 62 West 47th Street, New York 36, N.Y. ... Reprinted in U.S.A. 1963." Same address, by the new name is Super Comics. These were the first ones with a date since the 1958 batch. All of the #10's, #11's and #14's were here as well as some of the #12's All of these had the Super Comics round insignia, except for it being left off of three #10's (PEE WEE PIXIES, THREE RASCALS, WACKY DUCK). To avoid a bit of typing, this indicia was in all the #10's, #11's and #14's that I've checked, and these #12's (BLAZING SIX-GUNS, DARING ADVENTURES, FANTASTIC ADVENTURES, FOXHOLE, GUNFIGHTERS).
SEVEN TYPE G: "... is published by Super Comics, Inc. 62 West 47th Street, New York 36, N.Y. ... Reprinted in U.S.A. 1964." Same as the previous indicia, except the date is the following year. This appeared in the rest of the #12's (DANGER, THE SPIRIT, JUNGLE ADVENTURES, STRANGE PLANETS, U.S. FIGHTING MEN, WILD BILL HICKOK) as well as all of the #15's and #16's I've checked. This was also in some of the #17's (POLICE TRAP, STRANGE MYSTERIES).
EIGHT TYPE H: "... is published by Super Comics, Inc. 62 West 47th Street, New York 36, N.Y. ... Reprinted in U.S.A. 1964. National Distributor: Harry Williams, 4304 Dexter Street, Philadelphia, Pa." Same as the previous indicia, except the name of the distributor was added. This version was in most of the rest of the #17's that I checked, except for those two mentioned above.
NINE TYPE I: "... is published by Super Comics, Inc. 62 West 47th Street, New York 36, N.Y. ... Reprinted in U.S.A. National Distributor: Harry Williams, 4304 Dexter Street, Philadelphia, Pa." Same as the previous indicia, except the date was taken out. This last version was in all of the #18's that I checked.

All of this data is as of what I knew back in 1980, but I think if someone broke down all the books according to these indicia types, it would give us a listing of the books as they were released. Any comments on this suggestion?

I have a number of books that are IW/SUPER COMICS and the books they were reprinted from. I will try to scan them if I can find'em.

Jerry Sinkovec (Wisc Pack Rat)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
Jerry! Great to hear from you and to see that you're still as sharp and as curious as ever. You and Mike were an inspiration to many of us back in the day. I certainly learned a lot from your scholarship techniques. A belated thanks, if I've never said it to you directly. Been quite a while. What have you been up to in the interim?

Peace, Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr (|:{>

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
Thanks very much for you added information Jerry and welcome to the site.
We've bumped you to VIP status for your upload contributions.

Offline WiscPackRat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »
Thanks very much for you added information Jerry and welcome to the site.
We've bumped you to VIP status for your upload contributions.

Thanks! I've been noted as a VIP many times, but I later found out it was an abbreviation for "Very Irritating Person"...

For IW/Super fans, I am going to upload a copy of Ziff-Davis' KID COWBOY #10. Part of that book (two of the three Kid Cowboy stories and the Singing Cowboy tale) were rerpinted by Red Top in their WILD WESTERN ROUNDUP #1, Oct. 1957. IW then reprinted that book in what I refer to as a a Type C indicia IW comic. So it's a case of knowing the source of the book that was the source of the IW reprint!