- +

Author Topic: maximilian's uploads  (Read 7089 times)

Offline Maximilian

• DCM Member
maximilian's uploads
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
Hi guys. Nice to be here. I uploaded Crime Must Pay The Penalty 005 from Ace. It didn't seem to make it from the old site. Just like on the old site, I forgot to list the scanner as Vigilante407 - his name is abbreviated in the file name but still, I repeated my omission.

I uploaded this as a .cbr file inside a .zip file. That is the correct way, right?

Digital Comic Museum

maximilian's uploads
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: maximilian's uploads
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:50:45 AM »
It depends on what type of file it actually is. If it is a zip file it will not open with many readers unless renamed cbr if it actually a cbr. Here are the changes you can make that are beneficial: Change rar extensions to cbr and change zip extensions to cbz. This makes them readily readable. At one time GAC had a problem excepting cbr (I think) so they were renamed back rar but that is no longer the case. Either way if you misname a file between the r and z formats most readers will not know what to do.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
Max, no PLEASE in this case you should have just uploaded the CBR file as is.  Files within files can create problems!
I've added Vigilante's name as you asked.

Please, no more 'easter egg' uploads ok, thanks!
:)T

Offline Maximilian

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:56:50 PM »
OK, thanks for the replies. Would you like me to re-upload CMPTP 005 as a .cbr?

I've never understood what rename the file as .cbz or .cbr means. Is there a simple tutorial, with pics, someone can point me to?
I have some other people's scans in files as jpegs and would like them in a .cbr or cbz format.

The FAQ on uploading might need updating
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1810.0.html

from question 11:

After you've compressed your file into a Zip or Rar file (use Winzip or Winrar) you can rename the file to *.zip or *.CBZ if you like.  We can handle both.  (If one type of file fails on upload for you please try another file type in your file name.  Personally I can't upload a *.CBR files but I can a *.CBZ)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »
Steps: 1)  Name the jpg containing folder the file name you want
          2)  Right click the folder containing jpgs and choose add to separate archive
          3)  Depending on the program you use what default comes up but choose zip
          4)  A zip file will be created with the same name as the folder.   
          5)  If you are not sure stop here and upload this zip file it will be OK
          6)  If you allow for extensions to be shown ONLY THEN should you right click on the file
and you will see xxxxx.zip go to rename and change the zip to cbz.

Hope that helps

Offline Maximilian

• DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
Thanks so much Narfstar! Those are the clearest instructions I've ever seen. Got it on the second try. I didn't realize I was hiding extensions. They always seemed visible when I needed to ID a file type  so it never even occurred to me.

OK, only cbr and cbz uploads from now on. Thanks again.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »
Thanks for helping here Narf.
Show Extensions is off for a lot of people, you have to change that in you preferences which varies depending on your operating system.

Max, I'll be updating the FAQ asap.

GL,
-Yoc

Offline Maximilian

• DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
yoc has posted my 31 page cbz of Beyond 011, scans by Pappy from his site. I emailed Pappy and he is all about sharing comics, so he is cool with his scans showing up elsewhere. He also uses a few scans now and then that he has found online.

I couldn't upload this myself as a cbz, was that just because of the server problem last week? Have other people been able to upload cbz files lately?

Oh yeah, thanks yoc!

Offline aussie500

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »
The problem is fixed now maximilian.  :)

Offline Maximilian

• DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 02:37:18 AM »
I uploaded Crack Comics 011. Scanner is unknown but it is very nice, over 50MB. I had upped this over at GAC last year but it didn't make the migration over to here. Enjoy!

Offline aussie500

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 03:58:16 PM »
Thanks maximilian.  :hug:

Offline Maximilian

• DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »
Great news! I just emailed Pmack to ask if I could post some of his stuff here, he said sure. I said he would be very welcome as a member here and he will sign up soon, he did not know about DCM.

His latest scans are Thing 003 and Frankenstein Prize 028.

Once again I could not upload a cbz file. So I got winrar, converted the cbz to a cbr, and uploaded it correctly, I hope. Please check it closely, as I had two failed attempts before with the cbz file and I hope they are not sitting in the site's upload file.

So Thing 003 is uploaded and I'm doing Prize Frankenstein 028 right now. Oh, after my conversion of Thing 003 I forgot to name Pmack as the scanner, though his name is in the file name I put in the description.

Offline Maximilian

• DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 10:41:38 PM »
I have converted Pmack's Frankenstein 028 cbz file to a cbr file and uploaded it smoothly. 34 pages  Enjoy! Thanks Pmack.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 11:39:11 PM »
Pmack didn't know about DCM?  I sent him an email.  Darn spam filters.  Thanks for inviting him Max.

And thanks for the uploads.  Funny, I have the opposite experience.  Cbr files wont always upload but Cbz files always will for me.

Your Frank28 upload worked just fine for me.

Offline Maximilian

• DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 09:05:02 AM »
Hey folks! I have uploaded Forbidden Worlds 006, the correct US ACG version. The scan now on-site is a UK black and white reprint mostly of FW 079. Some fans noticed this recently, and my friend Richard from the Cyclops chat found a scan of the correct issue. I had never seen it before. Williamson story inside, inked by two other people according to GCD, it does look a little off. Enjoy!