- +

Author Topic: Silver Age Charlton?  (Read 24987 times)

Offline phabox (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Silver Age Charlton?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:35:22 AM »
Some one could just do XX amount of worthless posts to move up when only posts are counted, yet only be on a site a few days and be "ranked" higher than a long time user.

Kind of like this one you mean ?-LOL ;)

-Nigel
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:11:44 PM by Yoc »

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:35:22 AM »

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 11:01:19 AM »
There are many SA books I'd like to see but I think this site should just be concerned with GA comics. Once you open the door to SA, it may start blurring the lines to eventually hosting all PD comics no matter the year.
Just my 1¢ (not as valuable as Jims!)
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »
If there was a site like DCM that carried Public Domain Silver Age comics, I don't think DCM hosting post-GA books would be an issue for anyone.

Offline aussie500

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »
If there was a site like DCM that carried Public Domain Silver Age comics, I don't think DCM hosting post-GA books would be an issue for anyone.

For the small amount of silver age comics that are PD it would not be worth setting up a site for only them. They will likely not even get a seperate section. After we have the GA comics sorted we will look at how far we can stretch the titles and publishers we have.  Much later we will look at new publishers who might be PD. Main focus is always going to be golden age, and that is what most of the PD comics are, pre 1960's.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »

For the small amount of silver age comics that are PD it would not be worth setting up a site for only them. They will likely not even get a seperate section. After we have the GA comics sorted we will look at how far we can stretch the titles and publishers we have.  Much later we will look at new publishers who might be PD. Main focus is always going to be golden age, and that is what most of the PD comics are, pre 1960's.

Perhaps my phrasing was awkward, so to clarify:  If there was a site that hosted SA PD comics, DCM wouldn't have to worry about hosting post-GA books or spending time discussing the possibility of hosting SA.

I don't see any reason why someone who was interested in doing so couldn't set-up a site for PD SA comics, OR, more importantly, shouldn't set-up a site just because the selection would be significantly smaller compared to the selection of GA books that are PD.  How many files were hosted on such a site would also depend on what "start date" was used.  If someone choose 1950 as the year they considered the Silver Age to have started, then the selection they'ld have would be larger compared to what they'ld have if they only stuck to anything DCM didn't host.  There's no good reason there shouldn't be something of an overlap between DCM & a SA site, since some comic fans might not care about GA comics.  Since DCM promotes itself as a GA site, some collectors/fans might not bother even checking this place out.  Basically, DCM & a SA site would be focused on different "target audiences", so having certain files on both sites is simply a good idea.

As far as whether or not setting-up a site would be "worth it", there's plenty of options out there where the cost of setting-up such a site would be "$0.00".

Offline fett

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Sounds like a great idea bchat. :D When you get it up and running let me know so I can upload my SA Charlton scans. ;)

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
Sounds like a great idea bchat. :D When you get it up and running let me know so I can upload my SA Charlton scans. ;)

Well, I don't remember making the offer to spearhead such a project, I was just pointing-out how anyone could set-up something without any costs (after they do a little online research).  I would like to see ALL Public Domain material made easily available to everyone, and quite honestly, I'm surprised that someone "out there" hasn't already started a PD SA comic file-sharing site.   On the other hand, I don't personally have a great deal of interest in the majority of PD SA comics beyond a few of the superhero books that were published.  Would you really want to go to a site that's run by someone who doesn't really care that much about what he's doing?  I know I wouldn't, because that "lack of interest" would be apparent, and suggestions from visitors on how to make the site work better would fall on deaf ears.

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 07:51:20 PM »
I think Fett was just throwing some sarcasm your way, bchat. :D I agree about lack of interest. It goes with anything. If you don't care about something it will show. Take this site for instance. You can tell that the admins here truly care not just about GA comics, but about this site. They always on, take feedback and are on top of things.
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 09:52:32 PM »
I think Fett was just throwing some sarcasm your way, bchat. :D

Oh I got that, I'm not a humorless kind of guy ... I swear!

I agree about lack of interest. It goes with anything. If you don't care about something it will show. Take this site for instance. You can tell that the admins here truly care not just about GA comics, but about this site. They always on, take feedback and are on top of things.

Having people that are passionate about the subject matter is what a site needs in order to be the best it can be and not appear to simply be a "fan site".  Yeah, it's obvious that "The Admins" care about the site a great deal and work hard to make it the best that they can.

I'ld still like to see a site hosting the PD material that DCM doesn't, BUT I'm pretty sure I'm not the guy to do that.  I'm kind of lazy, not much on self-promotion, and my interest, when it comes to comics, is mostly superheroes.  That said, were I to start-up such a site on my own, there's a chance that a time would come when I would simply get tired of dealing with it, I wouldn't do much to promote the site (I never promote my own blog, so I can't imagine I'ld be any more agressive about promoting a website), and I wouldn't agressively acquire scans (either through searching the net or buying books on my own) that were outside the superhero genre (romance, humor & crime would suffer the most from this).  On the other hand, I like playing with HTML and fiddling with graphics, so having a website does interest me in a small way, but not enough to take this particular torch and run with it.

So, I point-out that it's kind of easy to set-up something without spending money with the idea that someone who has thought about creating such a site goes "Well, heck, if it's easy, I'LL do it!"  Such a site may not be organized as neatly as DCM, but somebody could get pretty close, or at least have something that wasn't too much of a hassle to navigate through, if they were a little creative and planned ahead a little bit.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 08:19:09 AM »
I put the Silver Age Sidestreet on GAC. Odd SA is may main comic passion. Some of the Dell books probably are not PD but also probably abandoned. I would expand it if someone wants to confirm PD status.

Offline fett

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
Sorry it was "mostly" sarcasm but I wouldn't mind seeing a Silver Age site, and you did sound more interested than most. ;)

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 11:41:18 AM »
Sorry it was "mostly" sarcasm but I wouldn't mind seeing a Silver Age site, and you did sound more interested than most. ;)

Well, I have looked into what it would take to start-up a comic-related site of my own without spending a single penny (besides being lazy, I'm fairly cheap, too, yet focused when I want to be), but haven't been all that serious about starting-up anything as of yet.  Since there are now multiple options for freely storing files online, it really opens-up the door as to what I could ... if I ever figure-out WHAT, exactly, I'ld want to do (I have one idea, but that won't happen anytime soon for various reasons).  I wouldn't bother to start-up a "PD Silver Age" site myself unless I really had a solid plan going-in, which I simply don't have at this point.

Offline bbbrown

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 02:07:07 PM »
A lot depends on what you consider Golden Age or Silver Age years to be:  I have seen it be Golden Age up to 1950, Atomic from 1950-56 (always thought atomic was first before that) and silver from 1956 until the late 60's early 70's.

I have seen different years checking different places.

I also thought I had seen it written some where on the old GAC that everything 1961 and on at least had one automatic copyright renewal.  Since it was Aussie I thought who wrote that (and I could be very, very wrong) I wonder it Aussie remembers posting that or maybe saying it in a chat.  Aussie, Can you let me know if it is just my pain pill fogged mind imagining this or did I actually see it?

Thats the problem with a lot of things the last 12-14 years now, depending on how I have reacted to the mixture of chemicals prescribed to me my memory goes from the great it used to always be to the "huh what was that comic I just looked at the text list 2 seconds ago?"  At least these pills aren't like the lower level pain pills like darvocet I had to settle for before the pain clinics summer, which used to give me violent dreams it would take a few  minutes to come out of.

Offline aussie500

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
A lot depends on what you consider Golden Age or Silver Age years to be:  I have seen it be Golden Age up to 1950, Atomic from 1950-56 (always thought atomic was first before that) and silver from 1956 until the late 60's early 70's.

I have seen different years checking different places.

I also thought I had seen it written some where on the old GAC that everything 1961 and on at least had one automatic copyright renewal.  Since it was Aussie I thought who wrote that (and I could be very, very wrong) I wonder it Aussie remembers posting that or maybe saying it in a chat.  Aussie, Can you let me know if it is just my pain pill fogged mind imagining this or did I actually see it?

Thats the problem with a lot of things the last 12-14 years now, depending on how I have reacted to the mixture of chemicals prescribed to me my memory goes from the great it used to always be to the "huh what was that comic I just looked at the text list 2 seconds ago?"  At least these pills aren't like the lower level pain pills like darvocet I had to settle for before the pain clinics summer, which used to give me violent dreams it would take a few  minutes to come out of.

No it was a few years later when the need to renew the copyright was removed. I always considered 1954/55 the end of the golden age of comics, anything pre code I would consider GA. I allowed anything PD up to 1959 to mainly keep it GA themed and because the copyright records of the 60's were going to be too much work, there were too many questions about the PD status. It is far easier to stick with 1959 or earlier.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »
A correct registration is still needed for the automatic renewal until fairly recently.  And most stuff did have a correct registration even if it doesn't look like it- the THUNDER Agents being a case in point.  (I'm still not convinced they were ever correctly registered.  But my opinion isn't what pertains; it's the Judge's opinion.)