developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Favorite Comic-related Hoaxes  (Read 5346 times)

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Favorite Comic-related Hoaxes
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »
Seeing as how it's April 1st (aka "April Fool's Day"), I thought I'ld ask everyone about their favorite Comic-related Hoax, joke or gag.

Alex Ross on The Wonder Twins:  From an issue of Wizard.  While I knew right away it was just a joke, it would have been neat to have seen what Ross would have done with the characters.

Marvel's Sentry:  I thought this hoax by Wizard & Marvel was well-done, with the set-up coming a couple of months before they debuted the Sentry character in the pages of Wizard.  If only that much thought was put into every comic-related hoax.

Anyone else got some good ones?

Digital Comic Museum

Favorite Comic-related Hoaxes
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Favorite Comic-related Hoaxes
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »
I very much enjoyed the Great Boo-Boo contest in "The Night of March 31st" in some early 60s issue of Superman.  And I know my parents enjoyed it as it kept my brother an me quite as we read and re-read that story on a long car trip.

My own personal favorite April Fool's Day prank was when I made a fake cover for a Four Color issue of "Route 66." It was two years ago while I was laid up after cancer surgery and it kept me occupied. I claimed I'd found the scan on-line and asked Dell4C if he had any info about this missing issue.

He saw through it pretty quickly and knew it was a fake, but didn't realize I'd constructed it.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »
While not comic related it was a masterful hoax in the Canadian Sun newspaper chains -
'An iTax on web surfing.'

If you knew how nasty the govt is in Canada seemingly willing to tax everything they can think of it was plausible enough to fool me until about half way in.

http://tinyurl.com/yl25esw
-Yoc

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:25:04 AM »
The publishers had stated that every issue of Groo the Wanderer had a hidden message. I never found one. Don't know if that was a hoax or I just didn't look closely enough.
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:20:05 AM »
A lot of them did, but Mark Evanier says he doesn't do them anymore.  At least, that's what he *says*...

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »
The '90s were my favorite hoax.

You're not going to convince me that any of those comics were published for any other reason, OK?  La la la, can't hear you!

(See also:  The popularity of Green Arrow...)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »

Offline phabox (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 05:43:12 AM »
Only last April 1st I masterminded the 'discovery' of a lost final issue of a British weekly comic from the late 1960's called 'Top Secret'.

A Friend put together the scan of the cover using my ideas and input.

Had a few people fooled for a few hours before we admited it was a fake.

We even had ideas about offering this 'super rare' comic on Ebay but decided they might not have been amused  ;)

-Nigel