- +

Author Topic: Narf Star's Neat Stuff  (Read 77943 times)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Special Agent 1 and Westerner 40
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »
I had to get to bed so I uploaded these to the ftp. Special Agent goes in Parents and Westerner in small press it is a digital camera replacement. As always feel free to edit them

Digital Comic Museum

Special Agent 1 and Westerner 40
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Narf Star's Neat Stuff
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
Thanks Narf.
:)

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »
Just up: narf's scan of JVJ's Amazing Man #20 from JVJ's Centaur collection.

This is another Frankenstein of a book: part paper scan (53/68), part Darkmark's fiche (13/68), part Heritage scan (2/68), but a real treat, including JVJ's index of stories and talent.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »
Great job BB!  Love your first fact page.
BTW, JVJ's credits cards are done with fellow are authority Hames Ware also hence the two colours and handwriting.
Thought you'd want to know.

Now up!
:D

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
Thank you, Yoc...that is good info.  I have been fishing around for a format for these fact pages, and where in the presentation of the book they should appear (last page, behind the cover image?).  I would be glad for any other thoughts, those of others on this stuff.  I would also love to throw a DCM logo on that page, were one available. Thank you for the feedback.

Do you know if Hames Ware worked with Jim on all of his indexes? Jim...if you're out there, feel free to chime in.  I would love to have any JVJ books I work on have the same info.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2010, 02:01:58 PM »
Do you know if Hames Ware worked with Jim on all of his indexes? Jim...if you're out there, feel free to chime in.  I would love to have any JVJ books I work on have the same info.
Builderboy, I can co-credit Hames on every ID I've made for nearly 40 years. He's been my mentor, teacher, and un-indicted co-conspirator on every project I've worked on since 1972. Even if the handwriting on the cards is uniform, the input reflects Hames and his knowledge. I've tried to submit index cards for the books I send to the scanners. It's possible that I've missed some. If some don't have index cards with them, let me know. I'll download a copy and try to recreate the information for you.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:23:39 PM by JVJ »

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2010, 02:26:25 PM »
Thanks for the background info Jim.  Nice to hear you two have worked together for so long!

BB - most scanners are scanning the cards as-is and adding them at the end of the book.  I personally like them at the start but that's just me.  I love the extra attention you've put on them with your version of them and I hope you'll continue to do them.

You can right click on the DCM logo on the download page and save a copy of it as a jpg that way.  The smaller version here on the forum has been modified to read easier at this size.  If you plan to use it at a smallish size I suggest you use the forum version.

Hope that helps, feel free to Private Message me if you want anything more,
-Yoc

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2010, 10:21:45 AM »
Another JVJ / narfstar beauty in the hopper:

Centaur's Funny Pages v2 #04...all paper c2c.  Jim, I revised the index credits and incorporated what you had told me about Hames as a co-author of the index cards. I did take the liberty of mentioning you by name rather than initials (I figured if I was going to list Hames by name, why not Jim?).

If this is objectionable, I can swap out the language. I was looking to develop something I could reuse on other JVJ edit projects.

Speaking of which, I still have 4 or 5 more Centaurs to go...one more Funny Pages, three Funny Picture Stories and a Star Rangers Funnies.

which, I guess, makes 5   :-\ 

I think the editing has gotten a little better as I go...hope you like the results. Thanks for letting me contribute.

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »
p.s.  Yoc, I didn't forget you on the incorporation of the logo.  I jammed myself for space on the index card page, and did not do a fact page for this one, as I am still up on the air about the fact page placement in the package.

The purist in me wants to see the whole book, cover-to-cover from the first click, while that scholar in me wants the fact sheet (which would have the DCM logo) in a place similar to a Table of Contents in a library book.

I'll figure it out soon.

I anybody wants to give me feedback on the index card prior to making the book public on the site, I am open to critique, and will resubmit an edit. Particularly Jim, if'n you are reading this.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2010, 10:34:02 AM »
Thanks very much BB, it's now up!
The book looks good to me.  Keep up the great work.
:)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2010, 12:24:22 PM »
BB your edits look great as always. Since I overloaded you Moondood stepped up to handle my recent scans. Many thanks to moondood for the great edits and putting these books up. I noticed they have already gotten a lot of downloads.
Christmas Carnival was a pain to scan and not tear completely apart. It held together a little worse for wear though with more spine splitting, we suffer for our art. Those 100 page squarebound books with art right up to the spine are not fun to scan. Gonna put it on ebay if anyone is interested in here first let me know. Anyone able to identify if it does have Kelly art? Eric?
Also Fighting War Stories 1 and Steel! a giveaway and Muggsy Mouse IW #1 one of the few unidentified reprints. If anyone has some original Muggsy Mouse books we would appreciate it if you can identify this and would especially apreciate the scans.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
I anybody wants to give me feedback on the index card prior to making the book public on the site, I am open to critique, and will resubmit an edit. Particularly Jim, if'n you are reading this.

Da NAME, boss, Da NAME...

ps. here's to narf!

http://www.bpib.com/test/GAC/Westerner-narf.jpg

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
Christmas Carnival was a pain to scan and not tear completely apart. It held together a little worse for wear though with more spine splitting, we suffer for our art. Those 100 page squarebound books with art right up to the spine are not fun to scan. Gonna put it on ebay if anyone is interested in here first let me know. Anyone able to identify if it does have Kelly art? Eric?

The only possibility I can see is the IFC, Jim, and I don't think it is. It's a good homage, but it's not WK. IMHO. Eric should know.

edit: looking at the ifc again, I'm going to guess this is Howie Post.

And good job with a difficult scan.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:01:00 PM by JVJ »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2010, 07:01:59 PM »
Thanks Jim but a lot of the credit for how good it looks has to go to moondood. You can see from some of the pages how the art ran so close to the spine. Funny animal art can be fun to look at. Did anyone else notice the Klaus Nordling story in this book? And how about that great Dave Berg back cover. I like Milt Story's Shorty the Squirrel

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2010, 07:54:21 PM »
I don't see any Kelly in it, myself.  I do see quite a few bits which show just how pervasive Kelly's influence was at that time.  I'm also not aware of Kelly doing anything for anybody other than Western other than VERY early in his career, so how he would show up at Ziff-Davis or St. John is a real question.

Still a neat book that I'm glad to have, thank you!