- +

Author Topic: Favorite Comic Related Blogs  (Read 12621 times)

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Favorite Comic Related Blogs
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »
I'll also copy-and-paste myself in with some minor editing.

It sounds like a downer, and I guess it's not quite a blog, but I've been a fan of Stupid Comics for a long while:

http://www.misterkitty.org/extras/stupidcovers/

"What's this? A paunchy hand points a tiny pistol at easy-to-draw silhouettes of a man, some planes, and giant penises? Luckily a small boy hugs Fidel Castro..."  You'll have to find and read the rest of the article for yourself (OK, it's the Dell Werewolf story).

I'm also down with the already mentioned Flashback Universe (and Jim Shelley sometimes wanders by picking up comics to offer), though I've been...somewhat less impressed with the writers other than Jim.

The Absorbascon is now dormant, but is still frequently entertaining and insightful:

http://absorbascon.blogspot.com/

Siskoid also has his moments, though he's a little too methodical for me to be a constant reader--for example, capsule-reviewing everything ever Star Trek:

http://siskoid.blogspot.com/

And there's also some great material at Dial B:

http://www.dialbforblog.com/

There's some mediocre stuff where he just posts images with little to no commentary (presumably because "Robby" is a graphic designer), but there's also neat stuff on Batman's origins and (the last articles listed) probably the best letterer in the business.  Yes, I said letterer.  And no, I don't mean the Charlton cereal box printer, though that would be a great article to read.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
Thanks for those great links.  The old t.v.shows should provide me with ages of corny entertainment, especially as it's virtually all American and I've seen so few of them.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline Ami_GFX

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »
Heres another one. Great photos of kids actually reading golden age comics in the golden age and lots of great stuff:

http://tencentdreams.blogspot.com/

And for Steve Ditko fans there's lots of his earlier more obscure work here:

http://ditko.blogspot.com/

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 10:57:19 PM »
Thanks Ami,
I had such a topic with comics in old photos on the other site.  I'll move it over here as I was the one making the posts and my statements there and photos do not belong to any one site.

Stay tuned,
-Yoc

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 04:24:43 AM »
Thanks to the good people at Chronicle Chamber, -

www.chroniclechamber.com

I'm passing on this site :-

http://www.htmlcomics.com/Index.asp?Alpha=P

It's on the "P" page cos I couldn't wait to check out the Phantom stuff.

(I have now donated.)
Stephen Montgomery

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 07:03:10 AM »
Say it isn't so. Moonstone looses Phantom to Dynamite. I hope they do a faithful adaptation rather than a superpowers one. What I really hate is the lose of Phantom: Generations. Each book featuring the Phantom of its issue number. I was hoping it would last long enough to start over at volume 2. Doubtful anyone else will do such a thing and if they do they will probably not use the page picture/page prose format. I would be happy with same concept in standard comic format but I really liked the picture/prose

Offline KnightRandom

• VIP Limited
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14:39 AM »
Thanks for the COle link.  Reading these stories independently from the comics they're in allows you to see them in a different light, and the commentary is very incisive.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:37 AM »
Narfstar, it is so. And there has been a lot of controversy on C.C.  Anyone interested in The Phantom should be made aware of this change and you should have a look at  the converations on C.C re. this.  The thing in it's favour is that Dynamite seem to be sticking relatively close to the Zorro, Lone Ranger and Green Hornet legends.  Could be a case of fingers crossed.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 11:46:01 AM »
I got the info from CC and it saddened me. I think of Superpowers but should be hopeful because they have tried to do OK by their licensed products. It is doubtful that they will continue Generations though

Offline erontron

• DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 08:08:55 AM »
Narfstar, it is so. And there has been a lot of controversy on C.C.  Anyone interested in The Phantom should be made aware of this change and you should have a look at  the converations on C.C re. this.  The thing in it's favour is that Dynamite seem to be sticking relatively close to the Zorro, Lone Ranger and Green Hornet legends.  Could be a case of fingers crossed.

Sorry but whats "C.C."? is that another message board? I would like to see he conversation and read what people are saying.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 09:33:23 AM »
Hi, erontron.  Sorry, I should have been clearer.  What I'm referring to is Chronicle Chamber, which you will find at:-

www.chroniclechamber.com

It's arguably the best Phantom site and I went with the abbreviation cos the address was given earlier.
Hope you enjoy it and look forward to reading your comments on C.C.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 10:57:29 AM »
I think the Phantom is in the top echelon of super heroes.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
"I think the Phantom is in the top echelon of super heroes." - narfstar.

You couldn't be more correct.  I've been a fan since I first saw a Frew Phantom in a newsagents window while on holiday in Fife - I must have been 6, so that would have been 1955.  I collect Phantom titles from as many countries as I can and last week, in London bought a pile of Frew back issues and while in Netherlands last year I found 2 old local issues. Even got a pal bringing back the Egmont comics when he's in Sweden. Plus, there's all that stuff on line incl. the Indian blogsites.  Not just hours but years of happy reading. Go on, try it.

Stephen Montgomery

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »
Found most of them online along the way. No chance to read them all. Of course the Frew books are just constant reprints. Paw how did you like Generations? My favorite of the Phantom titles

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 09:32:06 AM »
Frew are strictly reprint but apart from the classic Falk stories (all of which they claim to have complete now) they reprint the Scandinavian stories in English.  Great for me as I can't read Swedish, Norwegian etc.  So now I can find English versions of all those Scandinavian comics my pal brings back.
As for Generations, I was not convinced that they all worked.  Not because the idea wasn't a good one - it is, or should be.  I thought some of the stories were a bit simplistic and would have benefitted from more pages and work, perhaps a to allow for a slightly deeper, more detailed telling of each generation. The short story is, after all, about the most difficult prose form. It's interesting to have a look at some of Mike Bullocks comments on the series.  The illustrations at times were poor, in my opinion but #5 with the Alcatena illos was seriously good to look at.  I'd love to see more illustrated stories if they were a bit longer and not tied into a comics page count but with the coming of Dynamite, I don't think we'll get it.
Have you seen the trailer for the new Phantom show?  Link on C.C.  And Dynamite taking him out of the jungle to N.Y doesn't bear thinking about.
Stephen Montgomery