- +

Author Topic: Welcome to the DCM  (Read 77517 times)

Offline phabox (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Welcome to the DCM
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 12:13:08 AM »
Sure thing Yoc I'll get on it ASAP, might just do some 'thumbnail' sketches to start with then expand them later if thats OK with you.

-Nigel

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 12:13:08 AM »

Offline citaltras

• Comics collector
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:12 AM »
Hi everybody...

I discovered the new site, and found out that my account already existed.
But I had already registered with the wrong name "citlatras". So don't worry, that's me too.

Glad to see you all here Aussie, Yoc, Zog, etc.
I left the other site asking myself  where everybody had gone.

Hey! you duplicated everything! Good work.
I am trying to download something to see how it works.

CITALTRAS

Offline phabox (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 06:12:35 AM »
I Think at the end of the day the attraction of the 'other place' was not just all the great old comic books to download but the fact it was such a friendly place to hang out and rap about comics and other stuff and even when people did not always agree on something there was never any bad feeling.

Though the comics can still be found elsewhere (sometimes -lol) IMO the old atmospheare has now long gone from that place and it is my greatest hope that the old community feeling since lost there will be restored here.

-Nigel

Offline citaltras

• Comics collector
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 06:27:50 AM »

I had the same feeling, Nigel. It is the people who made the place, not the site.
The old place is like empty now.

CITALTRAS

Offline dhfh

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:14 AM »
 OK, I'm here!

For those of you who don't recognize my avatar, I'm DHFH.  I'm the guy who started this whole site's naming contest!  (Though, the fact that the site already had a name planned kind of  put a damper on participation.)   :P  ;)

I feel it necessary to introduce some more of our new smilieys:

:D , >:(:-[:o:):-\, and  Monkey

Patterned after the 7 dwarfs.

(TO Admins:  the Monkey smiley above has been faked.  The button doesn't work.  Has smiley 26 been deleted?  Is history repeating itself?  ... Oh, the whole site is history repeating itself...  ;))

DHFH

PS. What is a "Tongue Wink", anyway?

Offline Zog

• Curator
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 08:27:47 AM »

Dunno, but it sounds disgusting.

:o

Offline loftypilot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 09:08:29 AM »
Ahh, it's such  a pleasure to be among friends at this brand new and at the same time somewhat familiar looking site.  Great job getting it up and running guys.  And isn't it utterly fantastic to have our for too-long missing friend and colleague Yoc with us again!!!  Good to see you Yoc!   :D  Looking forward to anything we can do together.

I'm promising myself (again) to upping the level of my posts here a bit more on the messageboard and of course I'll be sharing my own scans and other collaborations occasionally as well. What's important though is that we have another opportunity with special thanks to Zog to create a warm, friendly meetingplace.

--Loftypilot   

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
We all love Yoc, the Canadian, Hockey playing monkey with muscles! Works harder than your average dish peg!
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Offline ech0

• DCM Member
  • Wǒ de gōngfu shì zuì hǎo de
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
Here's hoping my first post is memorable.  Fingers crossed that my avatar, sig and all that stuff works.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 07:05:01 PM »
Your first post, ech0 is memorable in its starkness. Love the avatar!
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 07:33:13 PM »
Hi, everybody,
nice to know this exists, and my comics are still available to the same scanners. I hope everybody can share them.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline dhfh

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 07:35:41 PM »
that the site already had a name planned kind of  put a damper on participation.)   :P  ;)

:D , >:(:-[:o:):-\, and  Monkey

Since the problem has been fixed, the excerpt above no longer makes sense.
Earlier today, the smileys were showing up as text-only so the above read:

that the site already had a name planned kind of  put a damper on participation.)   Tongue Wink

Cheesy,  Angry, Embarrassed,  Shocked,  Smiley,  Undecided, and Monkey

Which makes a little more sense (And should preserve the original intent for prosterity).

Offline Ami_GFX

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
Well, this is the first forum I have ever been a member of without registering--drafted into a forum, what a concept. But since I'm here, I'm glad you exist but I do find it a bit bizarre to be logged into 2 forums at the same time with the same user name and password. I do enjoy the comics and was despairing of the bandwith problems of the other site. The more places these precious comics can be stored and made available online, the better. I wish you well.

Offline miketief

• DCM Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »
Thanks to the champions who've stepped in to replace those who've chosen to fix that which had not been broken.  This type of thing has occurred to other free sites which sought to restrict membership with usage or contributory plateaus, and in each case the clone sites were safe from legal action simply because the posted work was not copyrightable.  Which is why it is a very good idea to rewrite all of the introductory material on the companies and individual titles.  Some of it was wrong to begin with (such as lumping Stanhall into the Stanley Morse group of titles; they were unconnected), while some had anachronistic information.  For example, almost all of the write-up for Quality's BLACKHAWK had nothing to do with their version but was taken from DC's '80s-era revamp (courtesy of Howard Chaykin): the Quality Blackhawk was not Polish, was not named Janos Prohaska (actually the name of a '50s-'60s Hungarian actor who specialized in dressing up in animal costumes for TV and movies http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0698512/, most notably, the Cookie-Eating Bear on late '60s episodes of the ANDY WILLIAMS SHOW) but was named Bart Hawks in a 1956 Quality text page, and none of the Blackhawks had last names.

Have you resurrected the link page listing all the newly posted issues?  If not, perhaps you could be so kind as to begin by backtracking to the beginning of March, or at least the point at which the download restrictions messed up everything up?  For those of us with a minimum of freetime, the link-page was a boon which obviated any need to do a daily search through everycompany's listing.

Good luck with the new/old site! 

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 08:42:33 PM »
For example, almost all of the write-up for Quality's BLACKHAWK had nothing to do with their version but was taken from DC's '80s-era revamp (courtesy of Howard Chaykin): the Quality Blackhawk was not Polish, was not named Janos Prohaska

Actually the Quality Blackhawk was very much Polish -- at least originally.  Read the origin story in Military #1