- +

Author Topic: Maurice Del Borgo issue ID  (Read 4198 times)

Offline PN6728

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Maurice Del Borgo issue ID
« on: April 03, 2023, 11:27:25 AM »
I picked up this page recently at a show. Does anyone recognize it or have any suggestions for tracking down where it might have been published? On the back is written: "Helen Cason / M. Del Bourgo -- Day session cartooning." Maurice Del Bourgo worked for seemingly every publisher between 1942 and 1955. I think Helen Cason inked primarily for Harvey. I've been going through all of Del Bourgo's credits in GCD and, when available, downloading here, but no luck so far. I'm not sure what to make of the "Day session cartooning" note. The page has pasteups and other corrections, suggesting someone intended to publish it, but perhaps it was never actually published? Or maybe this story is still uncredited? Thanks for any leads!

Digital Comic Museum

Maurice Del Borgo issue ID
« on: April 03, 2023, 11:27:25 AM »

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
Re: Maurice Del Borgo issue ID
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 06:28:05 PM »
This is a shot in the dark, but could it be student work? It has no production markings, and "Day session cartooning" might identify the class Cason and Del Bourgo were in (cartooning class, day session as opposed to night session). Maybe it's a class project.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 07:43:29 PM »
I think Crash here might be correct.  It's lack of production markings makes it look like a non-published page to me as well.

-Yoc

Offline PN6728

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 01:09:34 PM »
I also suspected it might be a class project, except that there are pasteups and other corrections on the page, which seems to suggest some sort of editorial involvement. It's still possible, but seems less likely that a student or teacher would go to that kind of effort? A friend suggested another possibility: that Cason and Del Bourgo worked in the same studio. Before she came to Harvey, Helen Cason may have worked for Famous Studios, but I don't know anything about her earlier associations.