- +

Author Topic: SIZES OF COMIC BOOKS - Through the Various Ages, and the Different Publishers  (Read 935 times)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
I was wondering if you guys could help me.
I am trying to gather data of the various comic book publishers, and comic book ages concerning specifically the dimensions of comic books.
Almost all comic books are 10-1/4" tall, give or take a little bit. Almost all, what are the ones that are always different in this area?
The width the the biggest area of variation by far. We all know that Dells, before about 1960? are very, very wide.

Marvel comics in the silver age are about 6-7/8" or a little less, depending on trimming.

Of course most if not all are usually trimmed (more often than not) badly, they are not square.

I have a Batman 22 that is 10-3/16" tall, 7-7/16" wide on the bottom, and 7-3/8" on the top.

Does anyone know what printers the comic book publishers used primarily? I have never really found a good source with this information, with the excpetion of Charlton, which was entirely a self contained company. From what I understand everything was done at their plant in Derby, Connecticut.

Thank you all my fellow comic book nerds,
bMinor

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Rocket Riley

• Repeating Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Sparta Illinois, World Color Press printed most of the nation's comic books from the 1930's through the1990's, with the exception, as you noted of Charlton who had their own press. If you google Sparta Illinois four color press you can get a lot more information.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Hi B,
I believe FH's JUMBO Comics were larger than most.  10.5 x 14 1/2 (#1-8)  While I was working on the introduction to the Famous Funnies:Carnival of Comics I noted that Humor Publishing Co.'s 'Detective Dan' was larger as well.  You'll see the size mentioned in the GCD description area.   9.5" x 12"
https://tinyurl.com/ya5ge62h

-Yoc

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Hi bMinor.   While I realise you are looking at American comics, historically, there was a big variation in size and format in the comicbook output of other countries.  If we take only English speaking countries, the UK, Australia and New Zealand produced all sorts of wrinkles, not simply the odd, occasional difference.  Broadsheet, tabloid, pocket libraries, portrait, landscape, that strange Australian calendar shape they had for a short while, single tier strips, 68 pagers, 8 pagers.  All sorts. The British WDL reprints of Dell titles are a bit smaller all round but feel thicker because of the thicker paper used - that includes the occasional thicker cover grade.
If we add historic European product to the mix, the mind boggles. Even pocket libraries differed in size, shape and page count. Finding sleeves for all these formats is sometimes impossible.
It's a great subject for research, and you get to read the books as well.
Hope I haven't bored you, but I am curious to see if other info is posted.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
Thanks for the input!
I think we should stick the the U.S. market for now.

Offline Rocket Riley

• Repeating Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Best Comics from Standard/ Nedor1939 was in a 12 x 9 format.  There is one on the site.  Go to the bottom of the Standard Listings.