developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Bulletman 003 (GM removed)  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Support Bot

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • Just a bot of DCM
    • Digital Comic Museum
Bulletman 003 (GM removed)
« on: August 15, 2022, 02:52:00 AM »
Comic Name: Bulletman 003 (GM removed) (49.01 MB)
Description: GM watermark removed.
Other corrections made as well.
Uploaded by: 3Face
Upload Date: 2022-08-15 02:52:00
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/thumbnails/33126.jpg
Go to Download Page
View Comic Online

Digital Comic Museum

Bulletman 003 (GM removed)
« on: August 15, 2022, 02:52:00 AM »

Offline lrek

• VIP
  • DCM Member
re: Bulletman 003 (GM removed)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 02:52:00 AM »
Comment made at: Bulletman 003 (GM removed)
A definite improvement, but I have a couple of comments. (Oh, no!) First, the inside front cover should be strictly greyscale (see Whiz 24). Anything that appears to be color in the original scan was the result of aging paper (and possibly iffy scanner software and early Photoshop), and the original scanner decided to act as if there were spot colors -- which there weren't. I have seen a lot of these. Were they all GM scans? The same is no doubt true of the inside back cover. Second, at the bottom of Page 12, left-hand panel, the guy's jacket has been recolored from blue/white to red. I assume this was intentional to act as a sort of watermark since it doesn't really fix a problem. There WAS a thug in a red jacket (Panels 2 and 3), but he gets taken out in Panel 5, so it's not the same guy. Next, if you're going to go to the trouble to essentially rebuild the comic from the ground up, it would be nice if the paper color were more consistent from page to page. Trying to match them exactly is nearly impossible, but it's possible to get closer than this. Finally, I'm not sure that blurring the halftones (to smooth them) is really a good idea. In most cases it's hardly noticeable. But sometimes with a gradient -- as on Page 23, bottom right -- doesn't work as it should.

Maybe I should try my hand at one of these instead of just criticiz-- er, commenting. I'm open to suggestions.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 02:52:00 AM »
Hi lrek.  It sounds like you've got the skills to take a crack at a GM fix of your own.  We'd love to see more of these GM placeholders retired.  If you're willing and wanted to try your hand at it there's a couple more Bulletman scans with watermarks.  BM #9 only has 4 pgs to fix.  All of BM #10 needs a fix.  Good luck if you tackle them!

Offline lrek

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 02:52:00 AM »
10 has some tricky panels, so I'll start with that. :)

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 02:52:00 AM »
For my brother Andrew, for my close friend Pat.

hi Yoc, thanks for the technical aid, and Irek. Your'e likely right, I should have saved the inside cover ad as a grey scale and did the grey tone panel that way, didn't think fit at the time. I was thinking of leaving it damaged so people could have a hint of how bad this was. This was done over months so likely I forgot who was who with regards to thugs and just wanted to get it done. Paper colour is challenging as it's different from page to page for whatever reasons (damaging stains, age, old scans, etc.) so attempted to go for approximate. There were a few panels which had the art dissolved into stain or missing that i wanted to fix but it wouldn't have matched the artist.  Had this been a higher res scan I might have spent more time on it but feel free to kick in your skills to correct things further, it's a collaborative site. I'l look forward to your revision on #10.

Cheers all and thank you.

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 06:48:00 PM »
hi Yoc, thanks for the technical aid, and Irek. Your'e likely right, I should have saved the inside cover ad as a grey scale and did the grey tone panel that way, didn't think fit at the time. I was thinking of leaving it damaged so people could have a hint of how bad this was. This was done over months so likely I forgot who was who with regards to thugs and just wanted to get it done. Paper colour is challenging as it's different from page to page for whatever reasons (damaging stains, age, old scans, etc.) so attempted to go for approximate. There were a few panels which had the art dissolved into stain or missing that i wanted to fix but it wouldn't have matched the artist.  Had this been a higher res scan I might have spent more time on it but feel free to kick in your skills to correct things further, it's a collaborative site. I'l look forward to your revision on #10.

Cheers all and thank you.