developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Jumbo Comics 001 (diff ver)(no bc)  (Read 480 times)

Offline Support Bot

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • Just a bot of DCM
    • Digital Comic Museum
Jumbo Comics 001 (diff ver)(no bc)
« on: July 16, 2022, 05:15:11 PM »
Comic Name: Jumbo Comics 001 (diff ver)(no bc) (137.91 MB)
Description: An alternate edit of the LOC scans by soothsayr.  67 of 68 pages (missing back cover).  

Includes Jack Kirby's first work in comics in both the Count of Monte Christo and the Diary of Dr. Hayward features, Dick Briefer's Hunchback of Notre Dame and more.  This is a highly edited set of images to remove the ravages of time from the artwork, said as a warning for those of you who hate that stuff.  Hope some of you enjoy it.
Uploaded by: builderboy
Upload Date: 2022-07-16 17:15:11
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/thumbnails/33093.jpg
Go to Download Page
View Comic Online

Digital Comic Museum

Jumbo Comics 001 (diff ver)(no bc)
« on: July 16, 2022, 05:15:11 PM »

Offline lrek

• VIP
  • DCM Member
re: Jumbo Comics 001 (diff ver)(no bc)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 05:15:11 PM »
Comment made at: Jumbo Comics 001 (diff ver)(no bc)
While I cannot understand why anyone would prefer scans replete with heavy foxing, holes, stains, missing pieces and other flaws (speaking of which, there is at least one damage-free front cover at Heritage), in this case, I prefer the original Sooth-Yoc version. I don't like pure b&w pages, preferring a cream, paper-colored background, and I think it was a mistake to remove the distinctive orange ink -- a significant and, IMO, unwarrantedrevision. But that's just me. I still have the original version in my files, and I'm quite happy with it, so I think I will pass on this version. As for the missing back cover, looking at the Heritage offerings and the Sooth-Yoc scans of issues 2-5, it appears that the back cover was just a duplicate of the front cover. Easily fixed from a Heritage version.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 05:15:11 PM »
BuilderBoy asked us if he should share it.  I encouraged him to do so as we always say 'there is no limit on how many versions of a book can be shared on DCM.'  And it offers alternatives to members who might prefer one edit technique over another.  I certainly want to encourage BB to continue with his work.  We might prefer our scans one way vs another, but nobody can deny the love that we each share for our hobby.  BB has been GREAT for hunting down missing or incomplete books and sharing then with everyone on the site!  I sincerely hope it continues for many years into the future!

Offline lrek

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 05:15:11 PM »
"I certainly want to encourage BB to continue with his work." Absolutely. 'Nuff said.

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 12:22:12 AM »
Perhaps this should be noted as being "black and white" in the title or description instead of "highly edited." The different colors of paper were intentionally used in the book to cheaply give it "color." This black and white version is a great edit, and probably less distracting for some to read, but is less historically accurate. Not a slight to BuilderBoy's work, just fact. I see it akin to the removal of the 3-D effect from 3-D comics. There is room and use for having both versions.

-Eric