- +

Author Topic: hello from an old comics fan and amateur writer-artist  (Read 919 times)

Offline Bruce.Dickson

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
hello from an old comics fan and amateur writer-artist
« on: September 25, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »
I eventually outgrew most everything in comics.  While I honor the artists especially, for me, the narratives never matured much beyond new mixing and matching of old tropes.  Polygon just published a look back on DCs new 52 now ten years old from teh people involved at the time.  The chaos and lack of any viable or workable value proposition is glaringly obvious. 

My latest book, Befriending Your Biology; Physical Health from the Inside Out

Coming back now to read Terry and the Pirates. 

Digital Comic Museum

hello from an old comics fan and amateur writer-artist
« on: September 25, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: hello from an old comics fan and amateur writer-artist
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 11:41:26 AM »
Hello Bruce,

I do agree, somewhat, with what you say. I mostly stopped buying new comics in the late 1980's for financial reasons. When my sound financial footings returned I found a bunch of mainstream comics virtually unreadable. (In some cases the art padded the plots because the story had to be reprinted in trade paperback format. Or, as in the case of the original Walmart Comics, Superman got re-routed to unrelated stories, like a World War 2 adventure, inserted in his quest to rescue a girl snatched from modern day Metropolis. That part of the adventure was quite good, but it was just padding.)

If, by chance, you are looking to write some fun comics, or prose stories in the pulp genre, take a look around. There are a number of publishers, like Pro Se Productions, Airship-27 and other small publishers to talk to. Or, publish the material, yourself. Today that is relatively easy.

Anyway, welcome back,

Bob Kennedy
a/k/a Erwin K. Roberts