- +

Author Topic: Public Domain Handbook?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
Public Domain Handbook?
« on: April 18, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »
Standard Comics Backers Handbook

A DC Who's Who/Marvel Handbook style comic featuring your original characters!

Have you ever wanted to have your character featured in a comic book? Imagine your character drawn by a professional artist and featured on the cover and interior of a comic book. Got a redesigned public domain character and history, but no place to share them? Get them in the book!

Backing the project nets you a colorful digital drawing of your character (hero or villain, it's up to you), an entry page, and copies of the Handbook!! Plus a wonderful digital wallpaper of the Fish Lee wraparound cover featuring all the characters in the book!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598069532/standard-comics-backers-handbook

Digital Comic Museum

Public Domain Handbook?
« on: April 18, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Public Domain Handbook?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 10:45:50 AM »
Hi Roy,
I'll give this project a plug on the DCM FB page for you.
It sounds like a great idea for a book!

-Yoc

Offline Crimson-Blue-Green

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:14:17 PM »
I've had two stories published in an indie comic, one story featured mostly public domain characters and one original character, and the other story featured original characters.  I know Fish Lee's work from the same comic I was published in.  The problem was the first story was published in black and white instead of color and the second story had two pages with spelling mistakes.  I sent the corrected pages to the editor but he did not use them.  The editor did not inform me nor the artists I worked with that he was not going to publish them as we wanted.  Anyway, I have these characters that I can include in your comic guidebook.  I can write up histories for both lead characters as well as a villain from my second story.  That's three characters.  Is that too many?  How do I go about submitting them?  That will cost me a lot, I guess.  Maybe I should only submit one character.  I own all the rights to my characters Princess Marshmallow, Morio the dove and Professor Lagomorph and artist Greta Fantini even sent back the original art she drew.  Since I may be able to use one of her drawings for your book, how much would that cost?  I'm not real sure about this.  Maybe I'm getting in over my head. 
My Japanese idol music website: http://sensational-idols.weebly.com/

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 11:54:53 PM »
Roy, I forgot about this until a few hours ago!  I just wrote up a brief history of my character Princess Marshmallow.  I also made a copy of one of the story pages and cropped it.  The only problem is that she is standing in front of a background that may have to be removed.  I don't know how to remove the background and just keep the character.  Anyway, do you have any slots left in your guidebook?  I can contribute some money to your project, although I see that it has reached its goal.  But I won't need an artist to draw something.  I will need some help in removing the background on the drawing I want to use for your comic.  Let me know how to go about submitting a character and if you have slots left.  I could write up another profile for Taanda, White Princess of the Jungle, a public domain character I used in a story that was published in an indie comic.  If two slots aren't available but one is, I'd rather just go with Princess Marshmallow.  If no slots are available then maybe I can contribute to the next issue.  Thanks if you can respond.       

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 01:23:51 PM »
Roy, I forgot about this until a few hours ago!  I just wrote up a brief history of my character Princess Marshmallow.  I also made a copy of one of the story pages and cropped it.  The only problem is that she is standing in front of a background that may have to be removed.  I don't know how to remove the background and just keep the character.  Anyway, do you have any slots left in your guidebook?  I can contribute some money to your project, although I see that it has reached its goal.  But I won't need an artist to draw something.  I will need some help in removing the background on the drawing I want to use for your comic.  Let me know how to go about submitting a character and if you have slots left.  I could write up another profile for Taanda, White Princess of the Jungle, a public domain character I used in a story that was published in an indie comic.  If two slots aren't available but one is, I'd rather just go with Princess Marshmallow.  If no slots are available then maybe I can contribute to the next issue.  Thanks if you can respond.     

You can crop images in paint 3D using the Magic select feature.....

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 01:11:19 AM »
I know how to do a simple crop.  It was removing the background that I can't do.  I don't have a fancy photo editing program or the know how to use one.  Anyway, I didn't get my character in his book because Roy didn't want drawings made by other artists.