- +

Author Topic: hello DCM group  (Read 1169 times)

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
hello DCM group
« on: October 03, 2020, 12:57:51 PM »
Real name Tim, Just signed up with the DCM here. A rabbit-hole site if ever there was one. I'm also buying newer comics, middle aged comics, some old comics (including 2 Canadian Golden Age), foreign comics, books, graphic novels, omnibuses, Marvel, DC and multiple Others. Having a great time, enjoying stories and art in my new old age. Lots to appreciate here, thanks for the amazing site.

I'm liking everything but have a growing affection for the Canadian WW2 comics so dived into that section first. Do you know of the Canadian Comics at the Library Archives Canada? They can't be reposted here as they're copyright by LAC & Nelvana but there's a lot of Bell Features issues available for reading online or downloading.

Cheers! I live near Calgary.

Digital Comic Museum

hello DCM group
« on: October 03, 2020, 12:57:51 PM »

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: hello DCM group
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 01:44:40 PM »
Hi Tim,
Welcome to the site!  It sounds like you've found the perfect site for your GA interests.

Yep, we had heard about the Bell Features non-PD books up on the LAC site a few years ago from another member.  It's a real shame we can't share them here, there's some fun books in their collection.

Have you read Howard Chaykin's 'Hey Kids, Comics' title that he did for Image?  Based on a few different creators stories during the GA era of comics.  It's fun seeing different stories I've heard over the years being used to tell the sometimes unsavory history of these comics we enjoy sharing here.  Some people speculate on who is who in the series in this forum topic:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/hey-kids-comics-who-s-who-t34049.html

There's a review for it here:
https://www.comicsbeat.com/howard-chaykins-acidic-love-letter-to-comics/

If you read it let us know what you think.  ASTRO CITY is still my favourite series that feels like the GA comics we love.

Stay well,
-Yoc

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 04:34:31 PM »
Thank you, Yoc! It was only supposed to be a "few" comics here and there, boy, did I go sideways. But in a great way! Thanks for the tip on Chaykins "Hey Kids", I'll have to look for it. Oddly enough, I just bought an large eBay lot of Astro City comics always having been curious about it. And other Alex Ross temptations... Cheers!

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 07:47:39 PM »
Astro City is great stuff! 
Mostly short single issue or two issue stories with one longer exception early on that some didn't care for but I enjoyed the entire run.
And some great art!  Ross did some striking covers for the title!

Let us know what you think of them.
Stay well,
-Yoc

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 05:31:20 PM »
Just had a glance at Astro City - think I'll like it. Have been acquiring the full run from different sellers the past few days and only missing #24. I'm so late to the party with many comics but look forward to marathon reading sessions.

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 08:24:32 AM »
I hope you enjoy it Face.   :D
I think my local library had some volumes of it.  Let us know what you think.

-Yoc