- +

Author Topic: Looking for recommendation  (Read 673 times)

Offline Petar19

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Looking for recommendation
« on: October 01, 2020, 02:40:17 PM »
Hello everyone,

I will be really glad if someone could possibly recommend me a comic that i won't stop reading. I am open to any suggestions even to thriller ones and especially "to make you think more" type  :)

Reader from Bulgaria

Digital Comic Museum

Looking for recommendation
« on: October 01, 2020, 02:40:17 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Looking for recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 06:42:49 PM »
Hi Petar,
That's a tricky question as everyone is different.
Perhaps if you mentioned a current comic, etc you enjoy it might help.

I'd recommend looking in the DCM Archives and Collections section where a good variety of recommended material is collected for reading.

If you like humor the 'Mystic Moot' collection is fun.
'The Frank Thomas Archives' has humour, suspense and funny animal depending on the volume.
The recently added 'Spacehawk' collection is fun space adventures with excellent art by Basil Wolverton who also did the 'Mystic Moot' one I first mentioned.

Enjoy the scans!
-Yoc

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: Looking for recommendation
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 07:57:45 AM »
Welcome Petar,

I like Yoc's choices, but I agree that we need to know more about what you like to read.

Are you familiar with the term "genre?" (sometimes written with an accent mark) Genre is a fancy term for saying what category of stories you like. Some examples are mystery & detective, science fiction, war, western and, for comics mostly, funny animals.

For Detective I'd recommend Novelty Comics' Young King Cole. Some real detective work in the series, not just chases & fist fights.

For Science Fiction, Avon Comics published some very good material. So did some other companies.

As for War, Toby Comics did quite a bit.

Western? M.E. (Magazine Enterprises) is mostly western. Some good stuff, too.

Standard Comics did quite a bit of Funny Animals. But, see also Fawcett's Funny Animals.

Speaking of funny, and Fawcett, they published the original Captain Marvel (Now called Shazam, for complex legal reasons.) The post-World War 2 issues of Captain Marvel Adventures, Marvel Family, and Whiz Comics often give a humorous slant to super heroes.

Hope this helps, but please give us a bit more information about what you like.

Best,

Erwin