developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Books about Golden Age artists  (Read 916 times)

Offline garbanzo

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Books about Golden Age artists
« on: August 03, 2020, 06:33:16 PM »
I have plenty of books about EC and EC artists, several on Frazetta, a couple on Wolverton... but I want to expand my collection. What else is worth looking at?

I'm also interested in books about GA publishers. I just got a book about King Features the other day that I'm excited about. I don't have the Fiction House book yet, but that's on my list. What else?

Digital Comic Museum

Books about Golden Age artists
« on: August 03, 2020, 06:33:16 PM »

Offline The Ghost Man

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • The Vintage Inkwell Academy
    • The Vintage Inkwell Academy
Re: Books about Golden Age artists
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 05:33:21 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Reed Crandall's work and got this last year: Reed Crandall Illustrator of the Comics which I HIGHLY recommend. I also picked up this excellent find Mac Raboy: Master of the Comics and Fire and Water: Bill Everett, The Sub-Mariner, and the Birth of Marvel Comics If you're a fan of Jack Kirby's work get these Kirby: King of Comics and/or this one Jack Kirby: The Epic Life of the King of Comics

These are all fantastic books and I hear in the wind a while back an author may be interested in writing one on Lou Fine. Hoping and praying for that one, I'll definitely be first in line.
The Vintage Inkwell Academy (TVIA)

An Artist Instruction Resource for Vintage Style Illustrative Creators

https://vintageinkwell.com

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 12:31:49 PM »
I'd just add in the two volumes of Greg Sadowski's Basil Wolverton bio.

Creeping Death from Neptune: The Life and Comics of Basil Wolverton Vol. 1 (2014) (ISBN 1-60699-505-7)
Brain Bats of Venus: The Life and Comics of Basil Wolverton Vol. 2 (2019) (ISBN 9781683962144)

Massive books they really dig in deep about Wolverton's life and his endless attempts to drum up more customers for his utterly unique style.  As one reader says it's the 'War & Peace' of artist bios.

You can read a review of the second volume on the Comics Journal website here:
http://www.tcj.com/reviews/brain-bats-of-venus-the-life-and-comics-of-basil-wolverton/

-Yoc

Offline kusunoki

• The Yellow Peril
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 01:04:06 AM »
There are also the Toth trilogy by Mullaney and Canwell, From Shadow to Light (about Mort Meskin), and Jack Davis: Drawing American Pop Culture.