developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Hello and every greeting in between!  (Read 1010 times)

Offline OzzieQ

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Hello and every greeting in between!
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Ozzie, I am an avid comics fan and have been since my youth.  I heard about his web site from the TwoMorrows book American Comic Book Chronicles.  I have collected comics from all eras but I mainly focus on Iron Man and Tales of Suspense as my primary focus of collecting.  I am also a playwright and teacher.  I teach American History and Theatre.  I have recently had a real fascination with the earliest research of comics going to the Platinum Age and the 1950's.   

I hope to be researching the history of comics both socially and politically so I can write plays about creators and the era. 

Thanks for reading,  I hope to meet some of you in the different threads provided. 

Ozzie

Digital Comic Museum

Hello and every greeting in between!
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Hello and every greeting in between!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 09:22:12 PM »
Welcome Ozzie!
If you are already familiar with TwoMorrows you are well on your way to learning a great deal about the history of our mutual hobby.

Tooting my own horn a little I suggest you check out the Frank Thomas Archives which contains a bio by his still living daughter Nancy with some family photos as well as the complete public domain works by her dad.

The Phantom Lady Archives also cover a lot of ground you might enjoy.  Both collections are in the Archives and Collections section of the site.

Have fun with the scans,
-Yoc

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
Hi Ozzie,

I'll second Yoc about TwoMorroes. They have published huge amounts of comic history.

Like Yoc, I'll toot my own horn a bit here. Rangerhouse put together a great archive about the movie serial The Lost City, and the far from finished comic book adaptation. I was asked to write the introduction. So I created a bit of history errr… make that fiction about how the serial producers reached out to the League of Nations about African territories. Look here:  https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=20215  And please do read the comments before diving in.

I was also asked to write the introduction to RangerHouse's first archive. That one was a multi-issue & multi comic book adventure spanning Master Comics & Whiz Comics. The epic introduced not only Captain Nazi, but Captain Marvel Junior. Here the heroes and the villain traveled, not between cities, but between comic books. Plus, a time or two, they talked directly to the readers.  https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=17750

If you are like a lot of new members, do remember to come up for air, food and drink, now and then.

Best,

Bob Kennedy
https://erwin-k-roberts.com

Offline OzzieQ

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcomes and the extra resources.  I will be looking into all of them and I am grateful that there are some prolific writers on the board.  I hope to be having some great exchanges with you all in the future. 

And thanks for the advice about getting up for food and air. 

Oz

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »
Have fun Ozzie and don't be shy about letting us know what you think of things in the Comments section of each book.  Those comments then show up here in the forums where others might chime in.

Stay well,
-Yoc