developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Member suggestions for new readers - Please add your thoughts everyone!  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Hi Gang,
We recently had a new member ask if we could recommend some books for his 11 yr old.
I don't recall if he said boy or girl.

It got me thinking I haven't read everything on the site by a long way.  Perhaps you fellow members could make some suggestions?

Could you guys suggest for the following age groups:
4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-15 and by 15 you aren't going to be making the choices for them in any case.

I'm betting we all have some special loves we'd recommend.  But remember some like Fawcett have very wholesome stories but also have some stereotype characters as well.

Thought anybody?
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
For very young readers my go to title is Animal Comics.  Kelly's work in Peter Wheat is also very good for young children.  His Our Gang stories are another choice.

Plastic Man was mentioned as a good choice for kids in the 7 and above range.  Some silly fun in those!

-Yoc

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
For very young readers my go to title is Animal Comics.  Kelly's work in Peter Wheat is also very good for young children.  His Our Gang stories are another choice.

Plastic Man was mentioned as a good choice for kids in the 7 and above range.  Some silly fun in those!

-Yoc

Hey, Yoc!
I agree with all your suggestions and would add another of my favorites which tends to be overlooked: Dell's Gene Autry's Champion, with great art by Mo Gollub in most issues. Gollub was a master of making animals come alive on the page, and that is certainly on display in that title.
https://www.lambiek.net/artists/g/gollub_mo.htm
In fact, expanding beyond Gollub, due to company policy, most Dell comics were kid-friendly. Another great series was Quality's The Barker by Klaus Nordling.

Finally, based on my own childhood, I'd say that from the time I could first read I was eager to read any comic I could get my hands on. Superheroes? Fine. Science-fiction? Ditto. War comics? Yeah. So, short of the horror and crime titles (not to echo Wertham too closely), I'd think that anything at DCM would be fair game.  What I really could barely put up with, ironically, were comics that were condescendingly aimed at young kids: Casper, Hot Stuff, and all the other Harvey titles once the Comics Code was the law of the land!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Thanks Poz, I was hoping you and some of the other regulars might make some suggestions and you got into your reasoning as well which is a nice bonus.

The fine line we walk today on this topic is the fact the books here are of their age and if one isn't comfortable with perhaps having to explain racism and systemic prejudices of the era it can be tricky to find the perfect book.  Dell is an great publisher for safer material especially for young readers.

I sure hope you are doing ok on your end Poz.  I keep hoping I wake up and this covid is a nightmare but it's the real thing.  Shudder.

Stay healthy everyone,
-Yoc