- +

Author Topic: Non Comic Based Superheroes  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
Non Comic Based Superheroes
« on: November 09, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
Sometimes, comic superheroes make their way to the TV or movie screen, but are still fictional within that context. For examples, see these images of comics from various tv shows.

Can you think of others?

Digital Comic Museum

Non Comic Based Superheroes
« on: November 09, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
Re: Non Comic Based Superheroes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 05:46:33 AM »
The Avengers (British) episode The Winged Avenger had a killer who was using the same gimmicks as an in-universe comic book character.

The Doctor Who story The Mind Robber, had the Doctor and company trapped in the land of fiction where they encountered fictional characters, one of which was The Karkus a comic character from the far-off year of 2000 (I wonder what things will be like then?  ;) )

The sitcom Bob had the comic book Mad Dog.

There was also this weird sitcom where a comic book superhero came out of his comic into the real world. Can't remember the name unfortunately.

Never saw it, but I heard about this short-lived show that I think was called The Hood or The Cape about a guy who takes on the real life identity of his son's favorite comic book character.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 07:19:00 AM »
On the TV show Hill Street Blues Captain Freedom managed to survive for a few episodes.

During the Batman TV show craze at least two serious newspaper strips got involved with similar TV shows. P.I. Peter Scratch protected the Scorpion. Mary Perkins - On Stage gave acting lessons to the untrained star of Captain Virtue(I think.)

Offline Crimson-Blue-Green

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 09:24:35 PM »
“The Three Fantastic Supermen” is a poster for an actual movie.  I never saw it, but other movies along the same lines (filmed in foreign countries but no actual comic) are “Supersonic Man” (directed by J. P. Simon of “Pieces” fame) and “Pumaman”.  I need to watch all three some day.  The Disney movie “Condorman” is about a comic book book artist who becomes the hero he writes about.  I believe “Once A Hero” is that TV series where the comic hero comes into real life.  It lasted all of three episodes before being cancelled.  The fourth episode was to guest star Adam West.  On “The Flintstones” cartoon there was an episode about a hero named Superstone.  On “Scooby Doo” there was a character named The Blue Scarab.  On the kids music series “Kids Incorporated” there was both Superbike and Superkid (Rahsann Patterson).  On the cartoon “The Real Ghostbusters” a character named Captain Steel came to life.  On the cartoon “Fat Albert” there was The Brown Hornet.  I’m probably forgetting tons more examples of superheroes on TV shows and movies with no comic. 
My Japanese idol music website: http://sensational-idols.weebly.com/

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 11:49:11 AM »

This is one of countless Turkish mash-ups of other peoples' characters. I haven't seen it. If anyone has a link I'd be grateful. I'm sure it's awful. The IMDB blurb says: "Istanbul is being terrorized by a crime wave, and the police call in American superhero Captain America and Mexican wrestler Santo to put a stop to it. "

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 03:19:05 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
This is the exact kind of topic that 'Mr Goldenage' Richard Boucher loved to explore.  May he rest in peace.

-Yoc

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 05:12:54 AM »
Yoc, you're quite right, Richard loved excavating these really obscure characters.
As for the Turkish movies, there are a number of them with versions or mash ups of various superheroes. The one on here with Cap. and Santo is famous - or infamous - for having an evil Spiderman.  Other heroes in these trash movies include versions of Spy Smasher; Superman; a mash-up hero combining bits of Cap Marvel and Superman; The Phantom.  There is an original - or at least I think he's original - hero, The Pirate, in the film, "Demir Pence Korsan Adam". This one features Fantomas as the villain. It's here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC6lh6rSyHc
but be warned, it's violent and sleazy.
But it doesn't end there as there are non comicbook heroes from other countries.  Mexican cinema turned out La Mujer Murcielago - The Batwoman:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUyZB_xbG2c
as well as a lot of masked superhero wrestlers.
Here in the U.K. we had "My Hero", a comedy superhero show with Ardal O'Hanlon - Father Ted, Death in Paradise etc - as Thermoman:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Hero_(British_TV_series)
There is also The Black Commando in the movie serial, "The Secret Code".
Europe produced a few others apart from The 3 Fantastic supermen, and there were a few follow up movies.  L'Uomo Puma - Puma Man, was made in 1980.
Flashman from 1967 was a joint Italian/French production:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tn6POvNs8
Argoman/Superargo had a short series of films:-
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=argoman+superargo
There are also some Japanese heroes in film and anime but as they are a somewhat more adult orientated, I'll leave you to search them out yourselves.  Try Kekko Kamen and The Iron Woman.
My post is very incomplete but this is absolutely intriguing and there are more if you want to look.  The Philippines made some real shockers.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 01:53:15 PM »
There are also some Japanese heroes in film and anime but as they are a somewhat more adult orientated, I'll leave you to search them out yourselves.  Try Kekko Kamen
Kekko Kamen started off in comics (manga). Created by Go Nagai who also created Cutey Honey, Devilman and Lady Devilman also for manga.

The Golden Bat, I believe, began in Japanese, or Hong Kong, books before what we'd call manga existed and making him a proto-superhero who has been adapted into various media. I guess that also means his earliest adventures would be public domain.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 01:40:22 AM »
Do you know?, I feel a bit embarrassed re.  Kekko Kamen as I saw some of the comics just last week.
Stephen Montgomery