developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: .cbr fail  (Read 2889 times)

Offline KevinP

• VIP
  • DCM Member
.cbr fail
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:01:35 PM »
This is not a problem with DCM but maybe somebody knows what's wrong. My .cbr files just stopped opening. It affects files I've created as well as DCM downloaded files.

When I click on a .cbr file,it doesn't open but  the .cbr balloon icon appears in the taskbar. Nothing happens when I click on that either.

Wondering if the problem is in my computer (I checked and the .cbr in Programs is still active)  I re-download CDisplay and still no change. Any advice will be appreciated. Wanna read my comics!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:37:16 AM by KevinP »
"Stories are signposts to help the world choose between the darkness and the light." ~Arago

Digital Comic Museum

.cbr fail
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:01:35 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: .cbr fail
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 04:33:36 AM »
That's odd!  No idea why they would just stop working other than it's a quite old program.
Perhaps you can try another comic reader application?  There are many free apps to choose from.
Some are listed in this topic: https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1808.0.html

Good luck!
-Yoc

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »
Only suggestion I have is to Open CDisplay from the start menu and once the icon appears in the taskbar, press the W key on your keyboard.

W key is the shortcut to go from Windowed mode to Fullscreen. Sometimes in Windowed mode the size of the window is very small that can sometimes get hidden in random places, might not work but worth a try.

Offline KevinP

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
[Perhaps you can try another comic reader application?  There are many free apps to choose from.
Some are listed in this topic: https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1808.0.html]

If I do that will I still be able to open the files I have already got with CDisplay?
"Stories are signposts to help the world choose between the darkness and the light." ~Arago

Offline Defiant1

• DCM Member
  • Comic Information Collector
    • Life After Comics II (Retry repeatedly if link fails)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 03:08:44 PM »
My understanding is that .cbr files are just .rar files with a different suffix. I would temporarily change the suffix to .rar and see if 7zip opens them. This would be much like opening a zip file with Winzip.

https://www.7-zip.org/

That would only work for Windows as far as I know. The reason I'd go that route is that I'd be concerned the file was corrupt. If the file is corrupt, 7Zip won't open it either.

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
Only suggestion I have is to Open CDisplay from the start menu and once the icon appears in the taskbar, press the W key on your keyboard.

W key is the shortcut to go from Windowed mode to Fullscreen. Sometimes in Windowed mode the size of the window is very small that can sometimes get hidden in random places, might not work but worth a try.

KevinP confirmed via PM that this fixed their issue.

Offline KevinP

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 09:34:53 PM »
That did not fix the issue. Opening CBR from the desktop icon yields a blank page, no choices available.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 08:25:56 AM »
Sorry Kevin.
But I'd suggest you try Defiant1's advice.  Load 7Zip.  Change the file name from .cbr to .rar.
Decompress the file into a new folder.  Then create a new compressed .ZIP file with 7zip.  Rename it to .cbz.

It's a lot of work but once you get used to it it's not a big deal.  Then all your cbr files could be cbz files which you seem to be able to read.

Good luck,
-Yoc

Offline Defiant1

• DCM Member
  • Comic Information Collector
    • Life After Comics II (Retry repeatedly if link fails)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 04:16:14 PM »
I will add that it's extremely difficult to troubleshoot problems like this without actually seeing what the computer is doing. Describing a problem is not the same as just seamlessly going through 4 or 5 troubleshooting steps in person. I fix problems for people all the time at work, but I make them get up from their desk so I can steer the mouse and see what's going on.

Defiant1