developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: New Category Suggestion: Golden Age Art School  (Read 3560 times)

Offline The Ghost Man

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • The Vintage Inkwell Academy
New Category Suggestion: Golden Age Art School
« on: October 06, 2019, 01:38:09 PM »
Greetings DCM staff, I'd like to make a suggestion for a new category on the forum called "Golden Age Art School". This could be a place where artists and new students of the Platinum and Golden age styles can exchange educational references, old-school trade tools, techniques and resources to develop their craft. I have been studying for a few years the old classical methods of illustration and have discovered a few great resources that have helped me that I'd like to share. It's also a great opportunity to learn from others who want to bring the organic feel and invigorating vibrancy of those great comics back to life. In my opinion, current comic books have greatly departed from what they once were and can now be considered a dying medium racing to the grave. It is this way because they exist solely to turn a profit and do not much care what their customers want. Point simple is that main-stream comic conglomerates treat their customers more like hostages, and dictate agenda-driven content to them which is causing an unforeseen blowback for them.

I was reading many on-line comic reader's accounts of how they love the medium but hate the modern content which is a confusing morass of cookie-cutter stories, with heavily imposed corporatized standards, unimpressive, uniform art which seems to want to deliver minimal content at high prices. These readers are disgusted at this situation and greatly desire a better product at a fair price with great value and impactful content. One comic fan I noted in particular stated" I have the money in my pocket to spend and nothing to spend it on in the comic store". I know that they are not alone, as I too have this same experience when browsing the fare at the local comic book store. DCM and Comic Book Plus have been immeasurably phenomenal in hosting  these legendary classics, and without them we would have no other place to find genuine comic books. Without them, I could never experience and better my techniques with artistic teachers such as Reed Crandall, Lou Fine, Mac Raboy and others.

Siegel and Schuster got their start wanting something better, and galvanized their talents to deliver something fantastically new in the world. This came from the simple seed of an idea, which germinated in the fertile soil of their limitless imagination. It took root through the brilliance of their energy and established a legendary new world. They were driven to bring bring forth an iconic hero that challenged and fought all the things they felt powerless to change. Where is that heroic ideal today? Where is the man or woman who lives by an immutable code who rights the world's wrongs to bring light into the world and people's lives?

We don't have to accept this and have the ability to turn this around. There's a starving audience waiting for thrilling, memorable comics that move them and that they will support. I can tell you that with some grit, commitment and hard work, a bold new, exciting era can be launched. If we want better, we have to have to muster and deliver the will to change this around. I for one am studying illustration hard to accomplish this dream, and it is hard, lonely work that requires a strict discipline.

I can't be the only one and if we can collaborate on resources to bring this about, we can be the change we want to see. We don't have to wait on a profit-obsessed corporate kitchen to feed us whatever they want, we can feed ourselves and perhaps make the world a little bit better. WE... can be this change!
The Vintage Inkwell Academy (TVIA)

An Artist Instruction Resource for Vintage Style Illustrative Creators

https://vintageinkwell.com

Digital Comic Museum

New Category Suggestion: Golden Age Art School
« on: October 06, 2019, 01:38:09 PM »

Offline great daddy

• DCM Member
Re: New Category Suggestion: Golden Age Art School
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 05:08:33 PM »
I Would like to see a golden age art school category,count me in.

Offline The Ghost Man

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:10:32 AM »
Thanks Great Daddy, there doesn't seem to be much interest here, so I am in the process of creating a blog which will serve the same purpose. Stay tuned, it's taking much longer to put together than I had envisioned and will be called The Vintage Inkwell Academy once completed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:21:35 AM by The Ghost Man »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 12:50:12 PM »
I think you've found the best solution to your suggestion GM.
Let us know when you're ready to debut.

-Yoc

Offline The Ghost Man

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »
Thanks for the support Yoc and I'll definitely be in touch with the debut. Massive thanks to YOU and others for all your work in uploading priceless content to the DCM and CBP. It has provided rare and fantastic studying references of the foundational comic book style as well as access to my favorite, influential artists. I always found it amusing that the naming of ages started off with Platinum and began a slow degradation to lesser precious metals. Does this mean that the current age of comics is now dubbed the "Pewter-Age" of comics? Seems apt, and it seems someone had a bit of precognition back then of what was to transpire in the future. Here's to turning all that around!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 07:58:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words GM.  Just remember that DCM is a huge group effort between comic buyers, scanners, editors, staff and the financial donors who keep the lights on.  All of us have done a wonderful thing here preserving these books for posterity.

I meant to say Bravo on your excellent Vintage Inkwell Academy logo!  Very classy design.  :)

-Yoc

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 01:27:10 AM »
I always found it amusing that the naming of ages started off with Platinum and began a slow degradation to lesser precious metals.
Technically it started with Golden Age (basically older comic book fans talking about the books of their childhood in the '40s). Younger fans in the '60s then started referring to their era as the Silver Age, and then people started naming other eras just to be completist about it.

Kind of like how the Baby Boom was the first named generation, but other generations started getting their own names afterwards.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 08:56:50 AM »
I agree, Yoc. A very nice logo.

I just wonder how many of of our younger members can properly name all the items depicted in the logo.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »
Ha!
I enjoy those videos of young kids with old tech trying to figure it out.  There's a UK show with that theme that had them write a letter and send it in the mail.  Who knew writing a letter was so complicated?  Finding a postbox or payphone has become pretty hard.

-Yoc

Offline The Ghost Man

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »
Greetings all, I'm putting in the final touches on The Vintage Inkwell Academy blog which will debut on Thanksgiving Day (11/28/2019 for those global). It was a lot of intensely focused work that is happily nearly all done. I'm not a professional web designer or developer, so there was a sharp ramp up in skills that was required to put forth to the task. Looking forward to getting back on track with my drawing studies and training again. Stay tuned for the web address and thanks kindly to all who supported this endeavor.

Offline The Ghost Man

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 10:03:33 PM »
Happy Holiday and greetings all, as promised, today is the debut of The Vintage Inkwell Academy the home of which is located here: https://tvia.ingenuityserials.com

I’ve tried to pack it full of as many resources as I have discovered in my pursuit of classical instruction and other valuable comic book production information from the world of Platinum and Golden-Age comic books. My aim was to compile these tools and techniques, and share these documented sources so that other vintage-style creators could find and utilize them. To host a central repository and collaboration space that can aid those interested in training themselves and creating content derived from old-school publishing methodologies content style and creation processes. I also wanted to make it fun and foster a grounded environment to enhance their experience. To provide a space to communicate, share tips and tools as well as a support environment for those who share this same interest.

To be crystal clear, I’m not out to jump start any superficial, retro trend. The goal is to establish a new age of creative content going back to using all the vintage tools and techniques, using classical art curriculum and encouraging the fire and unfettered creativity that spawned the legendary content that The Digital Comic Museum proudly houses. It all starts with an idea, backed by the will and tenacity to transcend any and all challenges to see it through. It takes men and women of commitment, grit and determination.

Enjoy everyone, and thanks sincerely for your support!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:02:34 AM by The Ghost Man »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 07:14:06 PM »
Very nicely done GM!  Far better than I could possibly do.
Good luck on turning it into all you could want.

-Yoc

Offline The Ghost Man

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 08:50:57 AM »
Much thanks! Much gratitude to you for stopping by Yoc, more great things to come.