- +

Author Topic: Paper models of Wallis Rigby  (Read 926 times)

Offline KubinkaMan

• DCM Member
  • Paper Modeling
    • History of Paper Modeling
Paper models of Wallis Rigby
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:11:26 AM »
Hi to all!

I am from Russia and this is my first post on the forum. I know English, but for convenience I use Google Translate. Sorry for my mistakes.

My topic is the history of paper modeling. I will begin with a request to all the fans and collectors present here. In the 1930-1950s, the great author Wallis Rigby worked and published in the United States. He created many hundreds of paper models and dioramas. Separate books and additions to popular comics.

I am looking for scans of any Wallis Rigby publications, and information about this. For an example I give some scans. It’s especially important to figure out where and when the Comic Weekly series was published.

Digital Comic Museum

Paper models of Wallis Rigby
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:11:26 AM »

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: Paper models of Wallis Rigby
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:20:49 AM »
Welcome KM!

Those models look pretty complex.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:25:54 PM »
Welcome to the great world of American Golden Age comics!

Offline KubinkaMan

• DCM Member
  • Paper Modeling
    • History of Paper Modeling
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:41:51 PM »
Those models look pretty complex.

If you try to glue this model, it will not be so difficult! 8) Modern paper models - more complicated, but they look much better. Wallis Rigby was able to make models simple and realistic at the same time. We have developed and published many different models, among them there are American military vehicles. One of our latest models is the SPG M50 "Ontos". Earlier we made a series of tank models of American engineer Walter Christie:

But I still want to get back to talking about Rigby paper models. I need more information about the publication "Comic Weekly". Maybe someone knows in which magazines or newspapers this series was published in the 1940s? Or even someone in the collection has these newspapers, magazines with Rigby models?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:46:58 PM by KubinkaMan »

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 01:20:07 AM »
I'm guessing it's actually called "America's Greatest Comic Weekly" and might be specific to the newspaper the New York Journal-American. Basically that paper's Sunday comics insert.

Although it may have been put together by King Features Syndicate and it was sold to various newspapers which put their own branding on it, note the line about finding Tim Tyler's Luck in the daily Journal-American. Not a lot of info to be certain sadly.