General Category > General Discussion

How do you read your digital Comic books?

(1/2) > >>

Bethany5167:
I've been reading more digital comics and web-comics lately, and am curious as to what others prefer in a reading-experience/content-layout based.

For digital comics (e.g. digital versions of the physical product), I'm perfectly happy with a PDF or JPG-per-page that I may have to zoom in on or scroll vertically, as long as I can rotate my phone to landscape and it extends to the full width. I'm perfectly happy scrolling back up and down if needed.

I actually don't like the "frame-by-frame" reading experience - it doesn't always translate well and I feel like I loose some context compared to when viewing the full page (and I get confused switching back and forth between full page and frame view, so usually just keep the full view on).

TBH - I haven't tried any apps, so not sure if there's a different presentation there.

For web comics that are designed for the web, it looks like there are two types:
1) Newspaper style - just a few frames so you can read it all at once. No need for zoom, pagination, etc.
2) Long vertical pages: Each page contain several different content sections which result in a long, continuous vertical scroll (like web-born manwha).

I guess the there's less 'reading' preference on web-comics, since it's really designed to fit the type of comic the author/illustrator wants to create.

Anyone have any preferences they'd like to share?

SuperScrounge:
For digital comics (pdfs, cbzs, cbrs, etc.) I prefer readers that let me see the whole page, but allows me to zoom in if need be.

As for webcomics, I have a webcomic myself, so I respect the creator's choice, side-scrolling or down-scrolling is okay, although needing to do both is annoying. I'm not a big fan of the infinite canvas, but it can work.

hufflepuffle:
Depends on the computer OS. 

For Android or iOS tablets (don't have a smart phone)  ^-^ I use Comic Cat. Perfect Viewer is ok in a pinch.

For Macs I suggest Simple Comic. The DancingTortoise version that works on 64 bit Mac OS. Works on El Capitan for me and probably newer like Mojave as well. 
dancingtortoise.com/simplecomic/

For Windows or Linux I would use MComix. https://sourceforge.net/projects/mcomix/

All of these can view both pdf comics as well as the cbz, cbr, etc.

Those are the ones I use the most.

Yoc:
Thanks for the suggestions HP.  I've only heard of a couple of them. 
I've been using android Perfect Viewer for my tablet for years.

Newt138:
Most of my digital comic  reading I do on my tablet. Use Perfect Viewer on it to read comics.

The rare occasions I read digital comics on my laptop I use CDisplay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version