- +

Author Topic: How do you read your digital Comic books?  (Read 3011 times)

Bethany5167

How do you read your digital Comic books?
« on: July 19, 2019, 10:16:05 PM »
I've been reading more digital comics and web-comics lately, and am curious as to what others prefer in a reading-experience/content-layout based.

For digital comics (e.g. digital versions of the physical product), I'm perfectly happy with a PDF or JPG-per-page that I may have to zoom in on or scroll vertically, as long as I can rotate my phone to landscape and it extends to the full width. I'm perfectly happy scrolling back up and down if needed.

I actually don't like the "frame-by-frame" reading experience - it doesn't always translate well and I feel like I loose some context compared to when viewing the full page (and I get confused switching back and forth between full page and frame view, so usually just keep the full view on).

TBH - I haven't tried any apps, so not sure if there's a different presentation there.

For web comics that are designed for the web, it looks like there are two types:
1) Newspaper style - just a few frames so you can read it all at once. No need for zoom, pagination, etc.
2) Long vertical pages: Each page contain several different content sections which result in a long, continuous vertical scroll (like web-born manwha).

I guess the there's less 'reading' preference on web-comics, since it's really designed to fit the type of comic the author/illustrator wants to create.

Anyone have any preferences they'd like to share?

Digital Comic Museum

How do you read your digital Comic books?
« on: July 19, 2019, 10:16:05 PM »

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
Re: How do you read your digital Comic books?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 12:53:19 AM »
For digital comics (pdfs, cbzs, cbrs, etc.) I prefer readers that let me see the whole page, but allows me to zoom in if need be.

As for webcomics, I have a webcomic myself, so I respect the creator's choice, side-scrolling or down-scrolling is okay, although needing to do both is annoying. I'm not a big fan of the infinite canvas, but it can work.

Offline hufflepuffle

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
Depends on the computer OS. 

For Android or iOS tablets (don't have a smart phone)  ^-^ I use Comic Cat. Perfect Viewer is ok in a pinch.

For Macs I suggest Simple Comic. The DancingTortoise version that works on 64 bit Mac OS. Works on El Capitan for me and probably newer like Mojave as well. 
dancingtortoise.com/simplecomic/

For Windows or Linux I would use MComix. https://sourceforge.net/projects/mcomix/

All of these can view both pdf comics as well as the cbz, cbr, etc.

Those are the ones I use the most.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 08:26:40 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions HP.  I've only heard of a couple of them. 
I've been using android Perfect Viewer for my tablet for years.

Offline Newt138

• DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 02:50:38 AM »
Most of my digital comic  reading I do on my tablet. Use Perfect Viewer on it to read comics.

The rare occasions I read digital comics on my laptop I use CDisplay.

Offline davidson7451

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 07:20:45 PM »
I’ve read comics all my life. I find that I read pages of comics slower than books.

It’s difficult to say. I got into a bad habit at one point where I would scroll down to the bottom of the page and then go back to read it, which can spoil the story a bit.

All in all, the pointers everyone has given so far are great. Do try and absorb the panel on its own merit - ie take in the picture and the dialogue. Linger, too - no need to rush. If you find the flow a little confusing (it happens sometimes), go back and reread slowly. Digital editions do help here.

Hey, enjoy. When I was 9 and we (my brother and I) had 300 comics, what was great was that those would be read and reread and we totally absorbed (and reabsorbed) our collection.

With over 5000 comics now (we haven’t counted in over a 15 years, so I don’t know how many are still at out mom’s place, and each of our apartments have many, many squirreled away - my wife is so great haha), the revisiting is much more seldom, as I mainly get collected editions and miscellaneous missing copies.

So if you’re starting out, reread. If something grabbed you,enjoy going back. Art and writing are generally in an amazing place right now, getting complete stories was such a luxury for us when we were young. I can’t tell you how many times Spider-Man/Batman/Thunerbunny/You Name It was to meet certain death, and we NEVER found out how they survived. We just saw them happy and healthy 5 issues later, so hey, they made it.

Enjoy.

If you haven’t, try and make a point to read Maus (only comic work to win a Pulitzer), The Dark Knight Returns, and Watchmen. If you’re able to get your hands on them, see if you can get Gruenwald and Dwyer’s run on the 80’s Captain America, leading up to #350. They crafted some of the best fight scenes ever committed to the medium. And I’m pretty sure you an get them on the cheap.

Offline wardov33

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 05:07:54 AM »
Hi. Anyone recommend ebook reading tablet? I do not know it and would like to buy Thanks