- +

Author Topic: Scanner recs?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline blastaar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Scanner recs?
« on: June 19, 2019, 06:48:11 AM »
I haven't been able to do much comics scanning lately because my trusty Canon 8800F has been crippled by (somewhat) recent Mac software updates--the (adequate, but not much more) original software just won't work anymore, and although the Canon hardware is as strong as a horse, the company isn't supporting it anymore.  I sprang for the third-party scanning software Vuescan, and while that basically works, for some reason scans won't include the entire platen (I lose a good 1/4" all around), I hate the UI, and it won't scan slides or negatives, which was one of the scanner's strong points.

So I'm looking for a good-quality scanner that will work with current (and hopefully future) Mac software; scanning of slides/negatives would be a big plus.  My budget isn't unlimited, but I'm willing to pay for quality.  (My research on this topic has been hampered by Amazon Review Syndrome--every piece of equipment that gets good marks seems to also have a fair number of users screaming bloody murder that even brand-new ones don't work, or soon stop being recognized by the Mac.)

Any recs (or warnings about what to stay away from) would be appreciated.

Digital Comic Museum

Scanner recs?
« on: June 19, 2019, 06:48:11 AM »

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
Re: Scanner recs?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
Did you contact Mr. Hammerick at VueScan?
He might just fix the software if made aware of the problem!

Offline blastaar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Scanner recs?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:12:29 AM »
Thanks, I may go that route if a hardware solution doesn’t present itself.  The slide/negative scanning capability would be desirable, and I don’t think Vuescan supports that aspect,