developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Comic Book Dreams.....  (Read 808 times)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
Comic Book Dreams.....
« on: June 05, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »
Well, many years ago, when I was a younger man.
I had this dream. I have had this dream periodically over the years.

As a collector of comic books for nearly fifty years, it starts out great and ends very sadly.

In this dream, I find a treasure trove of old comics books at a rummage sale, I am not sure of where I found them. But there was a ton of them. Just about any comic book, you could possibly want! It was absolutely wonderful. I was so very, very happy.
As the dream progressed though I began to feel that something was "off".  The comic books were great, but something was funny.
I finally realized near the end of the dream, that I was in a dream and realized that there were no comic books.

Then I woke up....

sniff... sniff.....

Anyone else have a dream like that? I seem to be able to remember them pretty often.

B.

Digital Comic Museum

Comic Book Dreams.....
« on: June 05, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Comic Book Dreams.....
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:47 PM »
Lots of times.  Sometimes it's being with my friends at a comics con, sometimes it's going to a yuge 3-story comics store in Dallas, sometimes it's trying to find comics stores I haven't found before.  Also I have had a dream in which I found Beatles 45's with B-sides that I'd never heard before.

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 01:45:53 AM »
Ah, yes! That enchanted land of wish fulfillment. I've been there many times ... wandered into darkened, musty, rooms somewhere in an abandoned house ... dusty cardboard boxes lying in a corner ... I open the first box ... it's filled with golden-age comics, never mint, but gently aged and with that faint pulp aroma ... I inhale the aroma and am transported into a sub-dream of myself as a kid reading those same comics. Are there more comics in the other boxes? I wake up with an ache of longing in the pit of my stomach!

I actually went through a similar scenario twice in real-life, in two different neighborhoods;  first in the 1970s and again in the 1990s. In the '70s I lived in a summer resort area - sparsely settled & kind of run-down.  Over the years I noticed that one of the cottages in the neighborhood never seemed to be occupied. One summer afternoon my curiosity got the better of me and I tried the front door. It was unlocked! I stepped in! What I found was a furnished, dusty, cob-webbed, but perfectly preserved interior. A telephone book & telephone from the 1940s were lying on a side-table. On the kitchen table were dirty plates. It was as if the owners up-and-left the house in a hurry way back then, closed the door behind them - but didn't  lock it ... maybe because they expected to return soon.  In a tiny storage shed in the back I found two cardboard boxes, partially rotted. Inside were stacks of magazines: Life, Coronet & others. But alas! No comic books!

In the second incident in the '90s, I was living in a very old neighborhood in the city. Over the years I noticed that the house behind mine seemed to be abandoned. One summer afternoon I noticed that cats were going in and out of the house through the back door. I wandered over and found the door ajar. As a 'responsible neighbor' (my excuse to myself) I entered the house to investigate.  The two-story house was furnished, but everything was in turmoil. Cardboard boxes were scattered in most of the rooms - upstairs and down -  too many boxes to open in one day. The ones I did open downstairs contained stacks of sports cards, music cassettes, magazines (all of recent vintage), and photo albums. Again, no comic books! It was now close to evening and getting dark. I chased the cats out and closed, but did not lock, the door behind me. I expected to go back to the house again to see what was in the boxes upstairs, but never got the chance. The house was sold and locked - leaving me to wonder to this day about those boxes in the upstairs rooms.

In partial compensation to my collector urge, I did find some antique items behind the walls of my own house (built in the late 1800s) during a remodeling project: Letters in stamped envelopes dated 1900; a pair of granny eye-glasses; newspapers from the 1900s; children's toys; empty glass containers and boxes of patent medicines and soaps from a famous retailer - the Larkin Company, buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

None of the above compare with the dreams of finding a stack of golden age comics!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 02:36:53 PM »
Wow, cool stories there Larry, thanks for sharing them!
I've never come close to anything like that.  A very old Sears catalog in an abandoned farm house is about all I can remember.  It was still fun to look at but nothing cool like comics.  There was a few old newspaper that were too dry and brittle to open in a reno I did one time.  What I could read it was from the 1950s and the number of local movie theatres was surprisingly big.  I knew many of the films they were showing.  A fun find.

-Yoc

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »
Here's a story a bit similar to Yoc's.

In 1950, or more likely early 1951, I first encountered the Prince Valiant newspaper strip in my grandparents' home in Arlington, Virginia. The first panel of the full page strip showed Val with an arrow thru his shoulder. I do not remember much else about the strip, but the protruding arrow stuck. (Pun intended.)

About ten years later a friend and I are exploring the area around our group's campsite at Philmont Scout Ranch, near Raton, New Mexico. We enter a beat-up wood building. In a closet we find an old, brittle, Sunday comic section with Prince Valiant on the cover. As per normal, Val's in some kind of trouble above the fold. In the last panel of the strip he's suddenly struck by an arrow that goes completely thru his shoulder.

That's right, I'd waited ten years to see the previous strip!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 07:04:16 AM »
Very nice!  And today you have those strips from the reprint books I'm bet.  :)

Thanks for sharing Bob.
-Yoc