- +

Author Topic: Uncanny predictive and favorite comics story arcs. Where life imitated the story  (Read 1002 times)

Offline hufflepuffle

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Ok, this is probably a bit strange topic. Sometimes I don't know whether art imitates life or vice versa. I have often been surprised over decades of comics reading in the sometimes predictive panels or prescient stories in comics. I don't know if it's the writers tuning into their collective unconscious, or something else.

Some of my recent finds.

1. Jack Kirby's Face on Mars issue.  It's like it foreshadowed the Cydonia feature on Mars. Lots of images on google.

2. As I was reading the first Phantom Lady story on here in Police comics, the very first story in 1941, they are using a new extreme explosive. The substance they are using is Uranium. Yep, four years before the atom bombs were reality, they were in Phantom Lady.
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/Smileys/yarex2/shocked.gif
3. Marvel Graphic Novel: Emperor Doom. When Dr. Doom uses Purple Man to brainwash everyone and his way into the White House, but hates actually doing the administrative government work, lol.

Ok, that's some of mine. Anybody else have any comics that surprised you by later events, or seemed to predict something, or later made you wonder if the writers had a time machine?

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
This is an interesting topic HP but right now I'm drawing a blank.  Perhaps some others can come up with something.

Thanks for starting it and sharing your samples!
-Yoc

Offline Chad!

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Here's one:

In Adventure Comics 290, a Bizarro Lois Lane sings a crazy Bizarro song when their planet comes under attack and destruction seems imminent.

The lyrics begin:

Oh, them, blue, blue-ee-oo monsters
Wriggled to the attack!
Their crazy, cool, cool radiation
Knocked us flat!
But us loves it...
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
Us loves it...Yeah, yeah, yeah
!

Clearly that "Us loves it yeah, yeah, yeah" is a parody of The Beatles "She Loves You, yeah, yeah, yeah" except...

The comic dates from 1961 and The Beatles released She Loves You in 1963.

Offline hufflepuffle

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Neat. Nice one Chad! and welcome to DCM.

Offline Chad!

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Thanks huffle, nice to be here!  Great subject, by the way.

Here's another one. 

In 1965, TV Comic did a Doctor Who tale entitled Moon Landing in which the first humans land on the moon only to be greeted by the sight of The Doctor's TARDIS.  The date for the landing was given as July 22, 1970 with the launch date cited as July 20, 1970.  In real life, the moon landing would later take place on July 20, 1969.

https://whopix.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/dr-who-moon-landing-1-2.jpg