- +

Author Topic: Help Identify source comic from this image  (Read 1417 times)

Offline comick

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Help Identify source comic from this image
« on: June 21, 2018, 07:39:06 AM »
hi
My first post here
Hopefully this is such a bizarre question some one might help. I’m trying to identify a Golden age comics in which a black and white advert is found.
   If I can draw your attention to the pictures on this link I shall try to explain everything.
https://postimg.cc/image/wqyu5e73f/
On the left is a collage by the artist Eduardo Paolozzi. (I have censored out the rude bit). The image of the man holding the car is Charles Atlas which was cut from a comic. The advert on the right is from ‘Wild Boy comic Oct - Nov 1951’. These adverts normally appeared on the inside back cover minus 1 page. This advert appears in a lot of comics but I’m trying to find the exact comic (or comics).
   Just below the Atlas I have highlighted a ref. 170H that the artist cut round. Comparing it to the one on the right the ‘170H’ is actually the dept number you returned your coupon to. So on the advert the dept is ‘376H’
   I have looked at comics I could find on the net that have this advert and these are listed on this link.
https://postimg.cc/image/8n82h3wcb/
The only strange one is highlighted yellow, which in the comic looks like 2028 or it might be 202B. The earliest comic on the list is 1948 they all seem to date around September to November. Around about 1953 these adverts appeared in colour. There looks like there is no rhyme or reason to the dept reference, most of them just say 2.J. So thats all the info I could find and i’m hoping someone might spare some time to look through their collections to try and identify the comic from which it came.

Thanks for reading
And thank you in advance for looking.
To the one who correctly finds it. I can give you the winning numbers for this weeks lottery. (what do you mean you don’t believe me)

Digital Comic Museum

Help Identify source comic from this image
« on: June 21, 2018, 07:39:06 AM »

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Help Identify source comic from this image
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »
I should point out that there is no guarantee that the artist took this ad from a comic book. That ad also probably appeared in magazines. Since the ###H department pattern was used by Ziff-Davis, you might need to check other magazines from that time frame to see whether they carried that ad.

Also, I am not sure if "170H" is the actual department number. The first digit doesn't look like a "1" to me, and last digit looks more like a "9", with the bottom part torn off.

These are my 2 cents.

Offline comick

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:00:49 AM »
I thank you for your reply
I did investigate magazines but by measuring the size of the image against the size of the publication to me it points to a comic book. But i may be wrong. as for the 170H thats what it looks like to me on a high resolution scan.

Thanks again

Offline comick

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 01:13:59 AM »
Hi
On even closer inspection
i think you might be right ....SORRY ..........SORRY
Now looks like    #79H
is that a 3 at the beginning so 379H

379H would fit in with other numbers

I'm very old and my eyes site is not that good (well thats my excuse)