developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Why are so many comics missing covers?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline sandmountainslim

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Why are so many comics missing covers?
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
Just bought my first Captain Marvel Adventures and it is complete minus the cover. The seller I got it from said he bought it in a stack of coverless Golden Age comics. Doing an online search I find there is an abundance of old comics missing the covers. Why is this? Did people purposely remove the covers from their books? Why would they do this?

Digital Comic Museum

Why are so many comics missing covers?
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Why are so many comics missing covers?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 08:52:31 AM »
I don't think most people removed the covers, it is probably the fact that the books are old and subject to falling apart

Offline Rocket Riley

• Repeating Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:06:10 AM »
Besides the normal wear and tear the comics have been subjected to over the course of seventy or more years, many comics were subjected to a process known as stripping.  In the 1940's and 50's when all comics were sold at news stands and drug stores, the retailer didn't have to return the whole comic to the distributor to get credit for unsold issues. All he had to return was either the front cover or the title strip(this is how you get 3/4 cover comic books) from the comic book.  In theory after "stripping" the front cover or the title strip from the comic the retailer was supposed to throw away the rest of the comic.  In practice, however many retailers sold the remainders to used magazine stores or used book stores to make a little extra money.  Many of these stores had vast piles of these coverless, and 3/4 covered comics. so when comic books became collectable in the early to mid 1960's they started selling them to collectors.  I remember one such place "Stan's Magazine Exchange" in Brocton Mass.  They offered coverless comics for .50, 3/4 covered comics for .75, and comics with full covers from $1.00 to $5.00.  This was 1965 of course.  My 12 year old fan-boy self couldn't resist and I once ordered a big pile of coverless comics from "Stan".  These days I can only recall two of the comics I received.  Sun Girl # 2, and Star Spangled #68.  Any way that's why there are so many coverless comics around today.

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »
Rocket Riley has it right, but I'd like to add that it was easy accidentally to tear a cover loose. Until the dawn of the Collecting Age comics were tossed around, rolled into pockets, thrown onto shelves, and who knows what else. It took only a little bit of torque to tear a cover loose from one of the staples. Once that happened the cover was not long for this world. I've also seen comics on which rusted staples seem to have eaten through the cover paper.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »
Rocket's right.

Back in the day I bought some 3/4 cover comics from Stan's Magazine Exchange. The ones I remember getting were Ace Comics' Super-Mystery & 4 Favorites.

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
I think age explains more than remaindering.  I know I lost lots of covers on my own comics over the years.  Centerfolds are a bit less common being protected on the inside, but once they come loose, they can disappear. It's not uncommon to find "outer wrap missing" comics.  Because the outer w rap is next to go after the cover. 

Offline sandmountainslim

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
Thanks guys!  I wasn't aware of the fact covers were ripped off and returned for credit back in the day.   

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 10:56:53 PM »
Thanks guys!  I wasn't aware of the fact covers were ripped off and returned for credit back in the day.

I don't know that that was ever literally true. I know in the late 50s and 60s, they ripped off the top third or so of the front cover and returned that. If you see a comic described as remaindered, that's what it means. Of course one the top third is gone, one of the staples will no longer be holding the cover so it will increase the chance of its being lost.  I think most coverless comics are due to wear and tear.  Believe it or not, back in the day, we used to read them, rolled them up and stuff them into a pocket, etc.  Early on, I was one of the picky ones, and even I lost any covers.No one ever heard of near mint, fine, or anything like that back in the day.  We had "good shape", "coverless", and similar terms

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 12:37:54 AM »
They were sending back partial covers as least as late as the mid-70's.  I've got an otherwise Fine or so copy of Giant-Size X-Men #1 missing the logo.  My LCS actually let me borrow a copy they had on the wall long enough to run to the copy shop and get a color photocopy, which I dropped in behind the 3/4 of the cover that survives.  It presents well, is quite readable, and I could actually afford a copy of that **** book to complete my run of the Giant-Size Marvels from the 70's.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »
Unfortunately some of the folks who did the stripping were very heavy handed.

Yesterday I downloaded a 3/4 cover pulp magazine. One quarter of all the ads at the front were also missing, as were one quarter of the contents page and the illustration heading the first story. OUCH!

Offline DoctorCanus

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
Stripping was still done thru the 80s at least. The indicia of the old comics explains why you might encounter a coverless magazine. It also lets you know that the publisher didn't get paid for the magazine so you're technically receiving stolen goods if you buy a coverless magazine.

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 06:18:02 AM »
It was at least done into the mid-90s. When I first started collecting, my grandmother inquired about what was done with comics that didn't sell at our local Kroger. They were stripped and then destroyed.

-Eric

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
Even though I'm not in N. America, I've spoken to a couple of older, well, old, dealers from the States who spoke of stripping the title or the front cover to be sent back.  I'd assume that shopkeepers would sell on the damaged comics.  Makes sense.  But rusty staples reminds me that AP pocket libraries from the '50's - e.g. Thriller Picture Library, Super Detective Library, Cowboy Picture Library - are notorious for rusty staples, in fact, it is incredibly hard to find examples without some rust. But I seldom see coverless copies, so perhaps rusty staples might not be the main cause of coverless comics.  Although when I think about it, these 64 page digests might have some glue as well.  So all that for nothing ;)
Stephen Montgomery

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »
Fellow Comic Collectors,

I have been recreating comic covers for about a year now.

If anyone is in need of a cover for a old book you treasure just send me a PM and we can talk.
I strive to make each cover to look EXACTLY like it did when it hit the news stand way, way, way back in the day.

I remove all blemishes and wrinkles from the original.

All the collectors that I have dealt with have been very pleased. I have done several dozen over the past year.

Attached is a Phantom Lady 23 that I recreated recently for a collector.

Yours,

B.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
Very snazzy job there B!
:D